Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Redundancy Support Group Meeting - Sunday 22nd of March

Redundancy Support Group Meeting - Sunday 22nd of March

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:32 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Redundancy Support Group Meeting - Sunday 22nd of March

The meeting went well this morning, there was a good turnout. Lots of questions asked, lots of answers given, lots of people feeling more upbeat about their current situation. Meow you are a star
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
The meeting went well this morning, there was a good turnout. Lots of questions asked, lots of answers given, lots of people feeling more upbeat about their current situation. Meow you are a star
Nica one! Are many people still losing their jobs BC?
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:38 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annacarna
Nica one! Are many people still losing their jobs BC?
sadly yes, we had about ten turn up today, they really are the minority of people who have been affected. One of my friends who is an Economist came along and explained to people what is going on globally, I think it makes a difference to be told it is NOT YOUR FAULT, the world is suffering.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:46 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

sadly yes, we had about ten turn up today, they really are the minority of people who have been affected. One of my friends who is an Economist came along and explained to people what is going on globally, I think it makes a difference to be told it is NOT YOUR FAULT, the world is suffering.
Tin hat on but.......

not being sarcy here, but who exactly needs an economist to tell them that the world is in a shit state?, they dont read papers or watch the news?

If they didnt realise that, then no wonder they found themselves at a redundancy support group..

NOT YOUR FAULT, the world is suffering Sorry, but that phrase is as cringeworthy as a Kate Winslett Oscar speech..

Glad it went well though...and kudos to you and MEOW et all for taking time out of your schedule to help
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:48 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by commander
Tin hat on but.......

not being sarcy here, but who exactly needs an economist to tell them that the world is in a shit state?, they dont read papers or watch the news?

If they didnt realise that, then no wonder they found themselves at a redundancy support group..

NOT YOUR FAULT, the world is suffering Sorry, but that phrase is as cringeworthy as a Kate Winslett Oscar speech..

Glad it went well though...and kudos to you and MEOW et all for taking time out of your schedule to help
you will be surprised how many people take job loss personally, I mean it Commander. They think it is their fault, and it isn't. When you are confronted with job loss out of the blue the last thing on your mind it doing research on the world economy. It was nice that there was someone there who can put it into simple words, and explain how long it will take for the region to recover.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

you will be surprised how many people take job loss personally, I mean it Commander. They think it is their fault, and it isn't. When you are confronted with job loss out of the blue the last thing on your mind it doing research on the world economy. It was nice that there was someone there who can put it into simple words, and explain how long it will take for the region to recover.
So how long will it take for the region to recover?
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:59 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by lionheart
So how long will it take for the region to recover?
a couple of years
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:01 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

i know and i see where your coming from, but spare me please the 'its not your fault line'

People lose jobs, people get new jobs...til the circle of life..

unfortunately here it means moving away, but that aint a bad thing. This is not a place people can truly call home. People have argued that over and over again, but you are a redundancy letter from being kicked out of the country.

All this is to people is a wake up call to reality.

Yes i feel sorry for people affected, it could be me tomorrow. If it is c'est la vie. Had a good time here, back home we go and start over..

Thats the downside to being an expat, the unpredictableness..
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:02 pm
banned

a couple of years
so these people are going to do visa runs for a couple of years until it gets better, or are they going to 'man up' and get on with life....elsewhere
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:07 pm
Concierge

i know and i see where your coming from, but spare me please the 'its not your fault line'

redundancy is not personal

People lose jobs, people get new jobs...til the circle of life..

true but getting new jobs in this climate is not going to be easy

unfortunately here it means moving away, but that aint a bad thing. This is not a place people can truly call home. People have argued that over and over again, but you are a redundancy letter from being kicked out of the country.

All this is to people is a wake up call to reality.

Yes i feel sorry for people affected, it could be me tomorrow. If it is c'est la vie. Had a good time here, back home we go and start over..

people want to go home, trust me, but sometimes it just isn't that simple, and what are they going home too? more unemployment?

Thats the downside to being an expat, the unpredictableness..
I agree with you 100% and no one really saw this coming, alot of shocked worried folk out there I have to say.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:08 pm
Concierge

so these people are going to do visa runs for a couple of years until it gets better, or are they going to 'man up' and get on with life....elsewhere
like where? who is offering people in construction jobs today? Libya? great family life there isn't there?
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:12 pm
banned

I agree with you 100% and no one really saw this coming, alot of shocked worried folk out there I have to say.
did your economist friend not see it coming?

peace..i really mean hats off to you and MEOW, and i shouldnt take the piss, i just dont do group hugs and fluffy bunny meetings.

They would have walked out of the lakes all fuzzy and warm and feeling good, only to get a smack in the face 30 mins later when they realise actually regardless of whose to blame, there are bills to be paid, mouths to feed, kids school to sort. and no amount of meetings can resolve that..

apart from a job interview..
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:14 pm
banned

like where? who is offering people in construction jobs today? Libya? great family life there isn't there?
not the UAE for sure...desperate times call for desperate measures. Its a global recession. The expat family life cant go on for all industries for ever.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:16 pm
Concierge

did your economist friend not see it coming?

peace..i really mean hats off to you and MEOW, and i shouldnt take the piss, i just dont do group hugs and fluffy bunny meetings.

They would have walked out of the lakes all fuzzy and warm and feeling good, only to get a smack in the face 30 mins later when they realise actually regardless of whose to blame, there are bills to be paid, mouths to feed, kids school to sort. and no amount of meetings can resolve that..

apart from a job interview..
some of those girls walked out of there today with solutions of how to pay their debts off and leave here with a clear mind, it really did touch me, and I shall admit that I did get very upset at one point or another.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:22 pm
banned

some of those girls walked out of there today with solutions of how to pay their debts off and leave here with a clear mind, it really did touch me, and I shall admit that I did get very upset at one point or another.
ahhh debts......

sell the 4x4's....

settle the maxed out brunch induced credit cards

poor buggers, live the dubai dream, it ends in a nightmare..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.