Moving and remote working

Old Feb 26th 2024, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Ontheway101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving and remote working

Hi everyone

Looking for some advice. My husband has been offered a job in the middle east, dubai to be specific . He has is looking to accept but we have a few issues regarding my job. I'm working in accounts, currently in account payable and have done receivable. Currently studying to be an accountant. I would like to be able to work and earn in dubai but they don't seem to pay as well as here for full time work in accounts.​​​​​ It won't cover our expenses.

So I'm thinking of finding remote jobs of smiliar or a better position that are full time and work from home in dubai. Would this be a reasonable option? They pay will mean we can cover our expenses and have a bit left over for rainy days.

I don't mind the time difference for working hours, may work out well. I'm happy to pay my UK taxes. Can take out a charging service for phone calls I may need to make / take. I've read there are some apps that allow this.

Has anyone done this or is this a big no? ​In my current role, mostly comms are online by teams so I'm comfortable with this kind of working environment

Happy for any feedback, opinions or advice.

Thank you all.

Old Feb 26th 2024, 3:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving and remote working

Hi, welcome to BE.

I'm assuming you've checked you'll be allowed to work remotely as a dependent on your husbands visa?

I think this would be best served in the ME forum, so I'll move the thread for you now and hopefully the good folks there will be able to help.

Good luck.
Old Feb 26th 2024, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Ontheway101 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wasn't aware I would need permission to work on my husband's work visa even though I wouldn't be an employee of the UAE.

Thanks for that, I'll have to do some more research into it.

Old Feb 27th 2024, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ontheway101
Hi everyone

Looking for some advice. My husband has been offered a job in the middle east, dubai to be specific . He has is looking to accept but we have a few issues regarding my job. I'm working in accounts, currently in account payable and have done receivable. Currently studying to be an accountant. I would like to be able to work and earn in dubai but they don't seem to pay as well as here for full time work in accounts.​​​​​ It won't cover our expenses.

So I'm thinking of finding remote jobs of smiliar or a better position that are full time and work from home in dubai. Would this be a reasonable option? They pay will mean we can cover our expenses and have a bit left over for rainy days.

I don't mind the time difference for working hours, may work out well. I'm happy to pay my UK taxes. Can take out a charging service for phone calls I may need to make / take. I've read there are some apps that allow this.

Has anyone done this or is this a big no? ​In my current role, mostly comms are online by teams so I'm comfortable with this kind of working environment

Happy for any feedback, opinions or advice.

Thank you all.
Couple of quick observations.

Lots of people work remotely from here some officially, some unofficially and if you use Teams then there will be no technical boundaries. From the UAE side you should really have a visa appropriate to what you are doing (many dont). From the UK side once you start looking into remote working jobs, whilst there are many companies who allow remote working, many of them will have geographical boundaries and prohibit overseas working. This is for a number of reasons but typically it can cause contractual / HR issues, very commonly confidentiality, privacy and data issues (because you are potentially moving company/customer data out of the UK) and also it can cause the company tax issues even if you are willing to pay your taxes as you say. My company are very hot on remote workers working where they should and terminate immediately for a breach.
Old Feb 27th 2024, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Just to elaborate a little. There are many spouses and partners here who work remotely, commonly in some kind of online business. The tricky part as I mentioned is when you are formally employed by UK company, you either risk working here under the radar (as far as the UK company is concerned) or declare what you want to do and risk them saying no (which often happens). I missed the post about the visa but that is a very good point and if you want to work and be here on your husbands sponsorship then you need to deal with the visa accordingly to allow you to work. I cant advise on that as I now sponsor my wife via my Golden Visa so its no longer related to my employer.