Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

I'd like to move to KSA... please advise

I'd like to move to KSA... please advise

Old Aug 4th 2014, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Tahir84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'd like to move to KSA... please advise

Hi All

I am a qualified Mech + Aero Chartered engineer (BEng + MSc ) and have been working in the UK rail industry for last 6.5 years in various positions (started as a Graduate and now a Certification Engineer). I studied in UK.

I am hoping to move to Middle East (preferably Saudi Arabia due to some cultural ties etc.). I have heard middle east has been a good place to work especially for people who are UK euro qualified etc. and possess the post study experience, especially for engineers among others.

I wanted to ask the forum members to guide me as to the best starting place. As you can imagine, i have loads of questions i.e. is it better to apply to a company in Saudi or ME from UK directly or apply to recruitment agencies in the UK who recruit and then send people across. Like i said, loads of questions but i am hopeful that i am at the right place.

Looking forward to your guidance and support.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'd like to move to KSA... please advise

Rail has been undergoing development in KSA for some time and more expansion is planned. I do not think UK firms have much involvement.

Saudi Railways Organization

You can't just "move to KSA". A visa is tied, through an employer, to a job.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Scot47

Thanks, i fully understand that a job is required against which a visa is issued. You mentioned SRO which i have been checking for a long time but no roles available atm. However i know alot of experienced people from UK/Europe have travelled to ME for Rail jobs, unfortunately i lost contact with them.

I am also open to switch into other industry (oil and gas, construction etc.) however i just needed a forum where to apply for these jobs etc. Hopefully someone can answer these queries.

Thanks again Scot
Old Aug 5th 2014, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Have a look on some of the recruitment sites GulfTalent.com
Old Aug 5th 2014, 12:54 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tahir84
I am also open to switch into other industry (oil and gas, construction etc.)
unlikely to happen - in the GCC you have to prove you are already qualified and experienced in the advertised job to the relevant government labour department, before they will issue a visa
Old Aug 5th 2014, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

originalsunshine

thanks for info, i know that arab world dont understand what transferable skills are...

Another question for experienced ME expats

I have also noticed alot of railway industry opportunities in UAE, so i am considering which country is better to work in i.e. KSA or UAE. I am looking to work out there for long term (maybe permanent) so which country will be the best bet ?
Old Aug 6th 2014, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

wwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud of

As you are a Pakistani Muslim, either UAE or KSA will be fine for you. However, try to search some more information in this Forum about the culture, salary, freedom, life in general, management, etc. No one can really tell which company or country suits you best. To me, the magic kingdom is certainly not for me in any aspects.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 2:47 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

try Oman - they are planning on building a north-south train line. they also offer citizenship after 30 years continued residency, and arabic speaking skills.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

originalsunshine

thanks for info, i know that arab world dont understand what transferable skills are...

Another question for experienced ME expats

I have also noticed alot of railway industry opportunities in UAE, so i am considering which country is better to work in i.e. KSA or UAE. I am looking to work out there for long term (maybe permanent) so which country will be the best bet ?
Nothing to do with the Arab world - you will find it difficult to transfer into oil and gas in any country.

Most railway work is now in Qatar.

KSA and UAE cannot be compared in terms of which country is best. If you are a dedicated practicing Muslim and you want to save money then KSA is best.

There is no long term or permanent. when you take on a post in the GCC you will be taken on 3 months probation and that is as permanent as it gets.

Most of us don't have the opportunity to choose countries we go where the jobs are at the conditions we are prepared to accept.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wwinit
As you are a Pakistani Muslim, either UAE or KSA will be fine for you. However, try to search some more information in this Forum about the culture, salary, freedom, life in general, management, etc. No one can really tell which company or country suits you best. To me, the magic kingdom is certainly not for me in any aspects.
I see. Like i said so far i only thought about KSA and to some extent UAE however i have researched this and other forums and it seems UAE is more expensive to live in comparison to KSA.

May i ask why the magic kingdom (if i assumed rightly that you are referring to KSA) isnt/wasnt for you, maybe your answer will answer few of my queries.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
try Oman - they are planning on building a north-south train line. they also offer citizenship after 30 years continued residency, and arabic speaking skills.
thanks, i wasnt aware about railway opportunities in Oman but certainly will look into this. I don't think i saw many posts (from expats) in Oman on this forum but will see what info. i can find on Oman about culture, salaries etc.

If you have anymore info. on Oman would appreciate that too. Thanks alot
Old Aug 6th 2014, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
Nothing to do with the Arab world - you will find it difficult to transfer into oil and gas in any country.

Most railway work is now in Qatar.

KSA and UAE cannot be compared in terms of which country is best. If you are a dedicated practicing Muslim and you want to save money then KSA is best.

There is no long term or permanent. when you take on a post in the GCC you will be taken on 3 months probation and that is as permanent as it gets.

Most of us don't have the opportunity to choose countries we go where the jobs are at the conditions we are prepared to accept.
gottheTshirt

i would politely disagree about not getting oil and gas job in any country. I worked in UK rail for last 6.5 years and where i saw people from several O&G industry come to work successfully in Rail industry and where people also went to O&G industry from Rail background. I cant say for rest of European and rest of world countries.

regards 3 months probation, is there a rolling extension that takes place then, as i've seen jobs which are classed permanent (on UK job websites for ME) and contract terms for upto 3 or more years?
Old Aug 6th 2014, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the companies consortia working on the Riyadh Metro.

Also there's Etihad Rail link GCC railway

Whole range of companies Bombardier, Ramboll, Atkins, Alstom etc
Old Aug 7th 2014, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt

i would politely disagree about not getting oil and gas job in any country. I worked in UK rail for last 6.5 years and where i saw people from several O&G industry come to work successfully in Rail industry and where people also went to O&G industry from Rail background. I cant say for rest of European and rest of world countries.

regards 3 months probation, is there a rolling extension that takes place then, as i've seen jobs which are classed permanent (on UK job websites for ME) and contract terms for upto 3 or more years?
I am just giving my experience from 40 years in the industry including rail, oil and gas - I may be wrong.

What I am saying is that work contracts in the ME are volatile, certainly you can get a work contract for 3 years but if the roles change or you don't fit you are out. You can only move to a new position in the same country if you can get a NOC from your previous employer and most are not giving NOCs.

Last edited by gottheTshirt; Aug 7th 2014 at 4:20 am.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 5:40 pm
womble

you know if you disagree with what people with experience in the ME tell you about the ME, because it is different to the UK, well, then.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.