British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   I'd like to move to KSA... please advise (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/id-like-move-ksa-please-advise-840230/)

Tahir84 Aug 4th 2014 4:48 pm

I'd like to move to KSA... please advise

Hi All

I am a qualified Mech + Aero Chartered engineer (BEng + MSc ) and have been working in the UK rail industry for last 6.5 years in various positions (started as a Graduate and now a Certification Engineer). I studied in UK.

I am hoping to move to Middle East (preferably Saudi Arabia due to some cultural ties etc.). I have heard middle east has been a good place to work especially for people who are UK euro qualified etc. and possess the post study experience, especially for engineers among others.

I wanted to ask the forum members to guide me as to the best starting place. As you can imagine, i have loads of questions i.e. is it better to apply to a company in Saudi or ME from UK directly or apply to recruitment agencies in the UK who recruit and then send people across. Like i said, loads of questions but i am hopeful that i am at the right place.

Looking forward to your guidance and support.

Thanks in advance.

scot47 Aug 4th 2014 7:37 pm

Re: I'd like to move to KSA... please advise

Rail has been undergoing development in KSA for some time and more expansion is planned. I do not think UK firms have much involvement.

Saudi Railways Organization

You can't just "move to KSA". A visa is tied, through an employer, to a job.

Tahir84 Aug 4th 2014 7:50 pm

Scot47

Thanks, i fully understand that a job is required against which a visa is issued. You mentioned SRO which i have been checking for a long time but no roles available atm. However i know alot of experienced people from UK/Europe have travelled to ME for Rail jobs, unfortunately i lost contact with them.

I am also open to switch into other industry (oil and gas, construction etc.) however i just needed a forum where to apply for these jobs etc. Hopefully someone can answer these queries.

Thanks again Scot

gottheTshirt Aug 5th 2014 9:38 am

Have a look on some of the recruitment sites GulfTalent.com

OriginalSunshine Aug 5th 2014 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Tahir84 (Post 11358414)
I am also open to switch into other industry (oil and gas, construction etc.)

unlikely to happen - in the GCC you have to prove you are already qualified and experienced in the advertised job to the relevant government labour department, before they will issue a visa

Tahir84 Aug 5th 2014 6:08 pm

originalsunshine

thanks for info, i know that arab world dont understand what transferable skills are...

Another question for experienced ME expats

I have also noticed alot of railway industry opportunities in UAE, so i am considering which country is better to work in i.e. KSA or UAE. I am looking to work out there for long term (maybe permanent) so which country will be the best bet ?

wwinit Aug 6th 2014 12:59 am

As you are a Pakistani Muslim, either UAE or KSA will be fine for you. However, try to search some more information in this Forum about the culture, salary, freedom, life in general, management, etc. No one can really tell which company or country suits you best. To me, the magic kingdom is certainly not for me in any aspects.

OriginalSunshine Aug 6th 2014 2:47 am

try Oman - they are planning on building a north-south train line. they also offer citizenship after 30 years continued residency, and arabic speaking skills.

gottheTshirt Aug 6th 2014 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Tahir84 (Post 11359454)
originalsunshine

thanks for info, i know that arab world dont understand what transferable skills are...

Another question for experienced ME expats

I have also noticed alot of railway industry opportunities in UAE, so i am considering which country is better to work in i.e. KSA or UAE. I am looking to work out there for long term (maybe permanent) so which country will be the best bet ?

Nothing to do with the Arab world - you will find it difficult to transfer into oil and gas in any country.

Most railway work is now in Qatar.

KSA and UAE cannot be compared in terms of which country is best. If you are a dedicated practicing Muslim and you want to save money then KSA is best.

There is no long term or permanent. when you take on a post in the GCC you will be taken on 3 months probation and that is as permanent as it gets.

Most of us don't have the opportunity to choose countries we go where the jobs are at the conditions we are prepared to accept.

Tahir84 Aug 6th 2014 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by wwinit (Post 11359842)
As you are a Pakistani Muslim, either UAE or KSA will be fine for you. However, try to search some more information in this Forum about the culture, salary, freedom, life in general, management, etc. No one can really tell which company or country suits you best. To me, the magic kingdom is certainly not for me in any aspects.

I see. Like i said so far i only thought about KSA and to some extent UAE however i have researched this and other forums and it seems UAE is more expensive to live in comparison to KSA.

May i ask why the magic kingdom (if i assumed rightly that you are referring to KSA) isnt/wasnt for you, maybe your answer will answer few of my queries.

Tahir84 Aug 6th 2014 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 11359916)
try Oman - they are planning on building a north-south train line. they also offer citizenship after 30 years continued residency, and arabic speaking skills.

thanks, i wasnt aware about railway opportunities in Oman but certainly will look into this. I don't think i saw many posts (from expats) in Oman on this forum but will see what info. i can find on Oman about culture, salaries etc.

If you have anymore info. on Oman would appreciate that too. Thanks alot

Tahir84 Aug 6th 2014 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt (Post 11359935)
Nothing to do with the Arab world - you will find it difficult to transfer into oil and gas in any country.

Most railway work is now in Qatar.

KSA and UAE cannot be compared in terms of which country is best. If you are a dedicated practicing Muslim and you want to save money then KSA is best.

There is no long term or permanent. when you take on a post in the GCC you will be taken on 3 months probation and that is as permanent as it gets.

Most of us don't have the opportunity to choose countries we go where the jobs are at the conditions we are prepared to accept.

gottheTshirt

i would politely disagree about not getting oil and gas job in any country. I worked in UK rail for last 6.5 years and where i saw people from several O&G industry come to work successfully in Rail industry and where people also went to O&G industry from Rail background. I cant say for rest of European and rest of world countries.

regards 3 months probation, is there a rolling extension that takes place then, as i've seen jobs which are classed permanent (on UK job websites for ME) and contract terms for upto 3 or more years?

flares Aug 6th 2014 9:56 pm

Check out the companies consortia working on the Riyadh Metro.

Also there's Etihad Rail link GCC railway

Whole range of companies Bombardier, Ramboll, Atkins, Alstom etc

gottheTshirt Aug 7th 2014 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Tahir84 (Post 11360681)
gottheTshirt

i would politely disagree about not getting oil and gas job in any country. I worked in UK rail for last 6.5 years and where i saw people from several O&G industry come to work successfully in Rail industry and where people also went to O&G industry from Rail background. I cant say for rest of European and rest of world countries.

regards 3 months probation, is there a rolling extension that takes place then, as i've seen jobs which are classed permanent (on UK job websites for ME) and contract terms for upto 3 or more years?

I am just giving my experience from 40 years in the industry including rail, oil and gas - I may be wrong.

What I am saying is that work contracts in the ME are volatile, certainly you can get a work contract for 3 years but if the roles change or you don't fit you are out. You can only move to a new position in the same country if you can get a NOC from your previous employer and most are not giving NOCs.

OriginalSunshine Aug 7th 2014 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Tahir84 (Post 11360681)

you know if you disagree with what people with experience in the ME tell you about the ME, because it is different to the UK, well, then.....

http://static.tumblr.com/bf37b26a44c...c_whatever.jpg