Is this enough for Doha?

Old Aug 9th 2013, 6:07 am
Just Joined

Insufferable is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is this enough for Doha?

Hi All

I have been offered a job with an Oil and Gas company on a contract basis for 4 years.

I will be bringing my wife and two young children (5 & 6) across with me.

The deal is all inclusive with no additional allowances. Paid 85k a month. (Riyals)

Our lifestyle is quite mundane from night life perspective now (kids!) so more interested in a nice compound with other families. I know schools are a nightmare and pricey but hopefully have that sorted soon.

Just want a gauge of level of comfort and savings I could expect with this?

Cheers
Old Aug 9th 2013, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is this enough for Doha?

There's no such thing as a 4 year contract in Doha. You will/can be binned quicker than a blink of an eye in Qatar. That goes with the territory.

85k is ok wedge for Dohell, and it is enough to comfortably live on, support the family, school the kids well (IF you can find a place for them) and save some cash.... But think about what you're leaving behind job wise and how easily you could go back / find other oppos should your 4 year gig turn sour in a moment as is often the case...
Old Aug 10th 2013, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

So around 15kGBP/ month - It's just about doable, but you may have to restrict yourself by only having 1 take away a week.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Really? Only 1 take-away?! Man, that's tough. Decisions decisions. I like a pizza now and then but that would mean opting out of he curry option at least every other week. I'll need to go away and calculate this up....
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Southlondoner is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

I have friends working in Doha in finance. They (albeit single) live like kings on 45-50 QAR per month. On 85k QAR - you can lead a life of ease and luxury.

Plus oil and gas - Qatar is the place to be. Go for it!
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Southlondoner, gives me a good indication of what's what....cheers
Old Aug 12th 2013, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Insufferable
Hi All

I have been offered a job with an Oil and Gas company on a contract basis for 4 years.

The deal is all inclusive with no additional allowances. Paid 85k a month. (Riyals)

Our lifestyle is quite mundane from night life perspective now (kids!) so more interested in a nice compound with other families. I know schools are a nightmare and pricey but hopefully have that sorted soon.

Cheers
£15000 a month?

Really?

Mate you should negotiate as i know cleaners who are on more

You will struggle with that. Dont bother coming out

Old Aug 15th 2013, 10:41 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Insufferable
Hi All

Cheers
It's at the top end of what you can expect (assuming you are a senior engineer with more than 10 years experience). It's normally easier to get a lower basic, and schooling/housing paid separately, since then you know what you have as spending/saving money, and increases in school fees (both age-wise & annual) and housing you are less affected by.

But - I know people with a lower total package (assuming experience levels), and not many with higher, and they have a great lifestyle. How much you save though is up to you.... 2 weeks in Marbella often gets translated to 3 weeks in 4 Seasons in Maldives....