Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Doha - Qatar Senior BA Infrastructure

Doha - Qatar Senior BA Infrastructure

Old Jan 12th 2014, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

BFDBOY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Doha - Qatar Senior BA Infrastructure

Hi All,

Just a newbie. Anyway I work as a Senior BA Contractor in the UK and daily rate on average £450.

Just been offered a role in Doha on a infrastructure programme. I was asked to provide a expectation rate inclusive of accommodation, flights, etc

Anyway after a little research on the net and comparing it to the UK I went back with a offer of around 80k QR per month all inclusive. Hiring manager came right back saying 80K is not going to be possible and I need to revise my figure..

Now in UK terms my salary is approx. 55kQR per month, but I have to consider accommodation, school fees (5 kids), medical cover, vehicle, flights etc.

Just searching a for decent 3-4 bed villa is 15kQR per month in rent. I don't know how much school fees will be in a decent international school?

What would be the right amount.. as I do not want to sell myself short, otherwise I might as well stay in the UK. Any help and guidance will be helpful.

Regards
Old Jan 13th 2014, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doha - Qatar Senior BA Infrastructure

Originally Posted by BFDBOY
Hi All,

Just a newbie. Anyway I work as a Senior BA Contractor in the UK and daily rate on average £450.

Just been offered a role in Doha on a infrastructure programme. I was asked to provide a expectation rate inclusive of accommodation, flights, etc

Anyway after a little research on the net and comparing it to the UK I went back with a offer of around 80k QR per month all inclusive. Hiring manager came right back saying 80K is not going to be possible and I need to revise my figure..

Now in UK terms my salary is approx. 55kQR per month, but I have to consider accommodation, school fees (5 kids), medical cover, vehicle, flights etc.

Just searching a for decent 3-4 bed villa is 15kQR per month in rent. I don't know how much school fees will be in a decent international school?

What would be the right amount.. as I do not want to sell myself short, otherwise I might as well stay in the UK. Any help and guidance will be helpful.

Regards
you will price yourself out of the market..... school fees for 5 kids...!!!!! 80k a month is expensive.... most of the roles that are on offer may be like 60 or so....

there are many people around the middle east who will work for less, or have less outgoings etc... and also have the middle east experience too!
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you would be better off staying in UK - it will be difficult securing 5 school places too. A decent large villa will cost 18 - 20 QR and I dread to think how much 5 lots of school fees will be. Factor into account that you won't be able to claim child benefit whilst in Qatar.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

The companies in the Gulf that are 'all-inclusive' tend to draw the lines at two sets of school fees. Unless you come on batchelor status you aren't viable.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

Hi thanks for your replies. But do you think 80kQR will be sufficient to live with 5 Kids in school?

Also whats the best method of getting family health cover to ensure if in an unfortunate event of illness. What do you recommend.

I am planning on going out alone initially for 2-3 months to decide if its right for us and then make enquiries into relevant schooling options, as I would like my kids to learn to speak Arabic also.

Any advice and guidance will be really appreciated. Thanks

Regards,
Old Jan 13th 2014, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for your replies. But do you think 80kQR will be sufficient to live with 5 Kids in school?

Also whats the best method of getting family health cover to ensure if in an unfortunate event of illness. What do you recommend.

I am planning on going out alone initially for 2-3 months to decide if its right for us and then make enquiries into relevant schooling options, as I would like my kids to learn to speak Arabic also.

Regards,
I think you would be mad to bring the football team here. 5 kids, school fees and after school clubs etc - it'll bankrupt you. I think your 80k is lite and they are already saying its too high.

Sorry to say it but the Middle East isn't for you. Roestta Stone for the arabic.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I think you would be mad to bring the football team here. 5 kids, school fees and after school clubs etc - it'll bankrupt you. I think your 80k is lite and they are already saying its too high.

Sorry to say it but the Middle East isn't for you. Roestta Stone for the arabic.
Thanks Millhouse.. Someone said that for a Senior BA a salary of 60k QR would suffice and your saying 80k QR per month is too low. What figure would you suggest that would be fair for the role and have a fair living standard. I'm not trying to live like a millionaire.

Regards
Old Jan 13th 2014, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Millhouse.. Someone said that for a Senior BA a salary of 60k QR would suffice and your saying 80k QR per month is too low. What figure would you suggest that would be fair for the role and have a fair living standard. I'm not trying to live like a millionaire.

Regards
Somebody said 60k is the market rate for the job...

I'm saying you need 80k to live a decent life with the kids and all the associated costs.

The gap can't be bridged. This job normally goes to someone with around 2 kids who can get the economics to work.

I'm assuming that the football team are of school going age. Each kid will be around 7-10k GBP per year in school fees.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 7:53 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Regards
Millhouse is bang on, also as job security out here is non existent regardless of how long you have been employed somewhere, would you want to be relocating 5 children out here then back again to the UK?

Use the cost tool on this board but for rough figures

4 Bed Villa 20k
5 school places 20k
2 cars 8k
Home food 6k
flights 5k

Thats your 60k and you have not been out or saved a penny.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Millhouse is bang on, also as job security out here is non existent regardless of how long you have been employed somewhere, would you want to be relocating 5 children out here then back again to the UK?

Use the cost tool on this board but for rough figures

4 Bed Villa 20k
5 school places 20k
2 cars 8k
Home food 6k
flights 5k

Thats your 60k and you have not been out or saved a penny.
what about utilities, school trips, extra things such as music lessons, petrol, etc etc

5 kids in tow cost a lot compared to the majority of families whereby 2 + 2 etc.... plus as i said before a lot of people are moving from the uae to doha and so have the local gulf experience, and telling you thats a big plus for them! plus cheaper to get a flight from uae across the pond to doha.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Regards,
also if you go out for a few months and return you will be stung with the tax... so is it worth it... nope i say. also learn arabic... nope they dont really do that so well here...! u will really struggle getting 5 sch places..... people really struggle here with getting 1!
Old Jan 16th 2014, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Thanks Guys,

For putting into perspective.. They say grass isnt always greener on the other side.. Your correct it makes sense to stay in the UK where at least my kids get a education and we have a very good living standard and I save money.

Serious thinking and seeing thing through with the Mrs and the employers..

Thanks.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Guys,

For putting into perspective.. They say grass isnt always greener on the other side.. Your correct it makes sense to stay in the UK where at least my kids get a education and we have a very good living standard and I save money.

Serious thinking and seeing thing through with the Mrs and the employers..

Thanks.
yes its very different here... if its going to cost a lot (which it will be with 5 kids etc) then i would stay with what you know. they can say goodbye even before you get on a plane! you sell up move over etc etc and then bye!
Old Jan 18th 2014, 9:22 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

to reiterate, 60k works (just) for a 2+2. with 5 kids, you will live really tightly on 80k. but the going rate for all ins is around 60k.

Go back to hiring manager, and break it down. Use the spreadsheet links to work out how much you need. Salary, school fees, flights, accommodation, medical, car, utilities, food, and show why you need the 80k. Stick to your guns, and if they can't match that, then you haven't lost out. The UK is then better for you - especially with 5 kids and no school fees.