Can I live on...

Old Oct 19th 2014, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

FingFang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I live on...

I have been given a job offer which will pay me 16,500 dm per month.

This includes an accommodation allowance of 3500 and transport 2500.

Would this be enough to live on in Dubai? I'm struggling to find cost of living for one person, is there such a thing as room shares / flat shares in Dubai or would I need single accommodation for myself.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 4:37 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I live on...

Sharing accommodation is illegal in the UAE (unless you are related to the people you're sharing with), but people do it anyway. If you're a white Westerner, nobody will ask any awkward questions.

As to whether your salary is enough to live on, it all depends on what sort of lifestyle you want. A studio flat in a non-swanky area of New Dubai, like Discovery Gardens, will cost you roughly 4000 AED per month in rent (but you typically can't pay monthly), so you'd have 12,500 AED left for everything else. How does that compare with what you earn now?
Old Oct 19th 2014, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

The wage is similar to what I earn now, but I'd be saving money because its tax free.

I didn't realise sharing was illegal, thank you for mentioning that. If this is the case then how are the hospitals allowed to house their staff in single shared accommodation - this is where I'd be living.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 6:25 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FingFang
The wage is similar to what I earn now, but I'd be saving money because its tax free.

I didn't realise sharing was illegal, thank you for mentioning that. If this is the case then how are the hospitals allowed to house their staff in single shared accommodation - this is where I'd be living.
It might be tax free if you complete a full tax year and limit your visits to the UK, so that's 6th April 2016 at the earliest.

Also be mindful that you typically get no employment benefits in the ME, such as pension, sick pay, private healthcare, redundancy payments etc. Your Sponsor will happily hire and fire you on his/her whim and there's nothing you can do about. Don't underestimate your pension needs (rough guide - halve your age when you start and save that as a % of your gross salary e.g. 15% if you start saving at age 30). Boring, I know, buy make sure you are properly rewarded during your working years in the ME and don't waste them.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 7:45 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FingFang
how are the hospitals allowed to house their staff in single shared accommodation - this is where I'd be living.
Purpose-built company accommodation for staff is permitted. It's residential property on the open rental market where sharing is illegal.

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Also be mindful that you typically get no employment benefits in the ME, such as pension, sick pay, private healthcare, redundancy payments etc
My company pays all of those except for pension. I thought I read that the labour law provides for compensation in the event of redundancy (as opposed to termination), but maybe not.

rough guide - halve your age when you start and save that as a % of your gross salary e.g. 15% if you start saving at age 30)
Most people we know here can't save 15% of their salary - but then, we mostly know people who have kids and who have to pay for everything out of their own pocket.

Last edited by Eeyore; Oct 19th 2014 at 7:50 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Thank you for all of the replies, they have been helpful.

I'd like to try and save a good amount of my salary (don't we all). I don't have a husband or children to relocate with me so won't need to pay for a large house, car or schooling. I think I'd happily live in a small flat or studio apartment so I could save as much money as I can.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

there are lots of people sharing accommodation. as a western expat you will not really face any problems unless you do something to annoy your neighbours.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
there are lots of people sharing accommodation. as a western expat you will not really face any problems unless you do something to annoy your neighbours.
Did I read somewhere about problems renewing work permit/visa if you dont have a tenancy agreement with your name on? as in you may not if you are flat sharing etc!
Old Oct 25th 2014, 4:56 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Did I read somewhere about problems renewing work permit/visa if you dont have a tenancy agreement with your name on? as in you may not if you are flat sharing etc!
that's only if you are sponsoring someone, ie your wife/kids..