Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Will by H1-B still be valid once I receive my EAD?

Will by H1-B still be valid once I receive my EAD?

Old Sep 9th 2004, 7:43 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

csf will become famous soon enough
Default Will by H1-B still be valid once I receive my EAD?

Hi,

I plan to use my H1-B to travel overseas, without applying for AP whilst my AOS application is being processed. I have applied for an EAD as part of the process. If I change jobs once I receive my EAD and plan to go overseas, can I still use my H1-B visa to travel? I know there is the 'dual visa' rule, but is it still valid once I receive my EAD?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
Old Sep 9th 2004, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Will by H1-B still be valid once I receive my EAD?

Originally Posted by csf
Hi,

I plan to use my H1-B to travel overseas, without applying for AP whilst my AOS application is being processed. I have applied for an EAD as part of the process. If I change jobs once I receive my EAD and plan to go overseas, can I still use my H1-B visa to travel? I know there is the 'dual visa' rule, but is it still valid once I receive my EAD?

Thanks,

Chris
Once you use the EAD to switch employers, the H1-B is no longer valid. So, you'd have to get AP to travel.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 8:18 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Will by H1-B still be valid once I receive my EAD?

Originally Posted by csf
Hi,

Thanks,

Chris
Hey Chris:

Did you apply for AOS based on marriage to a US citizen?
If you are gonna be working for a different employer, wouldn't that void your H1B visa?, You got your visa to work for XX company, If you get a job with company YY.. then I would say you can't use the H1B visa so travel, therefore you'll need AP to re-enter in the US.

"Some H-1B professionals use EAD(and terminate H1B) on purpose to save H-1B time so that if something happens with the current employer, they be able to pick up the remaining period of the 6-year H-1B limit through another H-1B approval with the new employer. But that H1 approval would be new H1B and not transfer of H1B and hence subject to annual H1B visa"

Source: http://www.immihelp.com/gc/aos/eadap_h1.html

Take care![/QUOTE]

Last edited by Hypertweeky; Sep 9th 2004 at 8:20 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 8:22 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

csf will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Will by H1-B still be valid once I receive my EAD?

Ahhhh...yes, of course, that is true. AP it is then