Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Why are k-1 visas denied at the embassy interview

Why are k-1 visas denied at the embassy interview

Old Jul 15th 2010, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

adjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: k-1 visas denied at the embassy interview

Originally Posted by chrisroach
I am not worried about most aspects. I am young, fit, well educated (to masters degree level). I have been in a relationship with my fiance for 4 1/2 years, engaged for 2 1/2. We've visited eachother some 15 times.

What i am worried about is the affidavit of support. My fiance is a dental assistant who earns around 1200 dollers a month and doesnt own a home etc or have any savings. I have around 5000 pounds in savings. How can i show them i will not become a liability??
Dental Assistant 1200 a month??? Hmm, that doesn't seem right not even for a part time job. A friend of mine is a Dental Assistant and she earns 1230 bi-weekly which is 2460 a moth. Milan
Old Jul 15th 2010, 5:12 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

M,

I was thinking the same thing, it seemed kind of low. Thanks for providing some relevant information.

Not that it will do the OP any good if the income he told us is accurate, whatever the reason. :-(

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by milan79
Dental Assistant 1200 a month??? Hmm, that doesn't seem right not even for a part time job. A friend of mine is a Dental Assistant and she earns 1230 bi-weekly which is 2460 a moth. Milan
Old Jul 15th 2010, 5:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Not that it will do the OP any good if the income he told us is accurate, whatever the reason. :-(
I wonder if that's net wages or gross wages? I can see $1200 being low for gross wages, but for net wages it may not be - depending on what deductions are being taken out. Just a thought.

Ian
Old Jul 15th 2010, 5:29 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I,

Yes, a good thought.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I wonder if that's net wages or gross wages? I can see $1200 being low for gross wages, but for net wages it may not be - depending on what deductions are being taken out. Just a thought.

Ian
Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are k-1 visas denied at the embassy interview

i just want to add that at my K1 interview I was approved my visa but was not allowed to have it till i sent in a new I-134 as my fiance's income was not enough. The conoff interviewing me actually printed out a copy of the I-864 poverty guidelines, highlighted the amount it said i needed and gave it to me to take home.

So although they may not suppose to go by the poverty guidelines exactly...sometimes they do.

as for a list of things you'll want to take for the I-134 here is what i gave them

2 copies of detail page of passport
I-134 Form completed and signed by USC
Bank Letter
Latest 3 Tax Return Transcripts
Letter from Employment (stating date work started, position, salery etc) and signed by manager
Proof of Assets
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:35 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milan79
But there is a difference between a dental assistant and a dental technician -- perhaps your friend is a trained technician who works on teeth, as opposed to the assistant who hands the correct instrument to the dentist, but doesn't have the training to actually work on teeth.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:02 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
But there is a difference between a dental assistant and a dental technician -- perhaps your friend is a trained technician who works on teeth, as opposed to the assistant who hands the correct instrument to the dentist, but doesn't have the training to actually work on teeth.
And there might even be a third consideration.....a dental hygienist which does the actual cleaning of teeth independent of the dentist. I would think that might earn even more money. ?

~SG
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:35 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
And there might even be a third consideration.....a dental hygienist which does the actual cleaning of teeth independent of the dentist. I would think that might earn even more money. ?

~SG
I was thinking of hygienist when I used the term technician (and I am sure you are correct that they are the best paid)-- but you are right, there might be three tiers! Technician might be something different from the hygienist I actually was thinking of, a person who works on dentures, etc.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

chrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to all

yeah shes just a dental assistent (she hads tools, cleans up afterwards etc) and has only recently qualified. She works around 35 hours a week at $13 an hour. So 1200 a month is about right.

I think im going to have her mum, or her dad do an I-134 also!
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:46 pm

Sounds like just short of $2,000 per month to me. Except that at 35 hours per week she may not be considered a full-time employee with benefits such as paid holidays and vacations, so $2,000 per month may be somewhere between $20,000 and $21,000 per year.

How accurate is that "around 35 hours per week" figure? $1,200 a month would be 'around' 21-1/2 hours per week at $13 per hour.

Back to Ian's thought - are your talking gross pay or net 'take-home' pay after taxes.

Regards, JEff

She works around 35 hours a week at $13 an hour. So 1200 a month is about right.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

She works around 35 hours a week at $13 an hour. So 1200 a month is about right.
It's funny... as I get older, I find my skill at arithmetic not quite what it used to be. That said, when I multiply 35 * $13 * 52 (weeks/yr) / 12 months... then I get ~$1970 a month... not $1200 - and $1970/mo yields well above the $18,212/yr currently required for an I-864.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jul 16th 2010 at 10:56 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 10:57 pm

I have the same problem. Maybe that's why you and I get the same answer

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It's funny... as I get older, I find my skill at arithmetic not quite what it used to be. That said, when I multiply 35 * $13 * 52 (weeks/yr) / 12 months... then I get ~$1970 a month... not $1200 - and $1970/mo yields well above the $18,212/yr currently required for an I-864.

Ian
Old Jul 16th 2010, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps the 2 degrees did not include any mathematical aspects,

London Consulate allows you to self sponsor so he should be OK on his own.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 2:23 am

He won't likely be OK with savings of only 5,000 pounds.

And if he does get past the consulate he still has to meet the I-864 requirement for adjustment of status.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Boiler
Perhaps the 2 degrees did not include any mathematical aspects,

London Consulate allows you to self sponsor so he should be OK on his own.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 3:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
He won't likely be OK with savings of only 5,000 pounds.

And if he does get past the consulate he still has to meet the I-864 requirement for adjustment of status.

Regards, JEff
1. Should be OK for K1

2. I 864 is another issue..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.