Where to start people?

Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:04 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start people?

Originally Posted by nettlebed
OP says that they have family in the US, so I'd assume the family are in MN.
I figured that, but they don't HAVE to live there. The way it was worded, sounded like they had no choice.

Rene
Old Jan 20th 2011, 9:57 am
Just Joined

chrissie12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Meauxna , there is no call to be rude to me It's not KFC, you don't just rock up and place your order for "advice". It's a discussion forum, where, you know, you discuss
Nooran - the reason I want to move to Minnesota is because I have relatives living there so I thought it would be a good starting point, and thanks for your comment about studying in the USA it was really informative
Bilder - Yes I am thinking about doing a MA in Cultual and Museum studies, it seems to be on every job description to become an archaeologist or the obvious museum curator.
To everyone else I appreciate your comments, thank you very much
Old Jan 20th 2011, 10:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chrissie12
Meauxna , there is no call to be rude to me It's not KFC, you don't just rock up and place your order for "advice". It's a discussion forum, where, you know, you discuss
Nooran - the reason I want to move to Minnesota is because I have relatives living there so I thought it would be a good starting point, and thanks for your comment about studying in the USA it was really informative
Bilder - Yes I am thinking about doing a MA in Cultual and Museum studies, it seems to be on every job description to become an archaeologist or the obvious museum curator.
To everyone else I appreciate your comments, thank you very much
So you are going to do a MA in the US. That makes more sense.

I presume you have looked at the likelihood of getting a job bearing in mind you need sponsorship?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 3:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Please let me know when it is time to start then. Before you ignore what people have taken the time to write for you, or after?

Please, I don't think you are the one to give me lessons on being rude or not.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

I appreciate the pleasant response
Old Jan 20th 2011, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate the pleasant response
I will try and ask you some questions to see how much you have thought about it and I don’t mean to be rude but being honest with you

- Do you know the unemployment rate in US?
- Do you know the cost to a company that would want to hire / sponsor you?
- Further, can you tell us what you have that many Americans (unemployed and ready to work NOW – don’t require no visa) don’t have for someone to sponsor you
- Why do you want to move here? – other than having a good time, being around friends and ‘my life is boring where I am (UK?)’
- What is your research – which visa are you eligible for
- Do you think you have the skill / education / experience that you can sell? That you can use as a draw card?

These are the basic questions you should ask yourself. US is a notoriously difficult market to crack. Trust me on that! It took me 2 years to get close to finding a job (by that time I had a Bachelors, Masters, CPA and CMA (almost)) + 8 and a bit post Masters Experience AND 10+ years over all experience.

The reason I am telling you all this is, you really need to stand tall vs. the competition for anyone to even bother reading up your resume. Sure, if you have unique skills anything is possible.

You have to read up more on 1. H1B visa 2. DV Lottery. 3. B-2 visa for Cohabitating partners

Last edited by E3only; Jan 20th 2011 at 10:27 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

will try and ask you some questions to see how much you have thought about it and I don’t mean to be rude but being honest with you

- Further, can you tell us what you have that many Americans (unemployed and ready to work NOW – don’t require no visa) don’t have for someone to sponsor you
- Why do you want to move here? – other than having a good time, being around friends and ‘my life is boring where I am (UK?)’
- Do you think you have the skill / education / experience that you can sell? That you can use as a draw card?

These are the basic questions you should ask yourself. US is a notoriously difficult market to crack. Trust me on that! It took me 2 years to get close to finding a job (by that time I had a Bachelors, Masters, CPA and CMA (almost)) + 8 and a bit post Masters Experience AND 10+ years over all experience.

The reason I am telling you all this is, you really need to stand tall vs. the competition for anyone to even bother reading up your resume. Sure, if you have unique skills anything is possible.

You have to read up more on 1. H1B visa 2. DV Lottery. 3. B-2 visa for Cohabitating partners

unemployment rate in Minnesota is 6.6%
cost of the company wanting to hire/sponsor you I roughly think it would cost $3,000
Further, can you tell us what you have that many Americans (unemployed and ready to work NOW – don’t require no visa) don’t have for someone to sponsor you - probably not as much cos I'm only doing my degree and was told that I would have to go on to do a MA
Why do you want to move here? – other than having a good time, being around friends and ‘my life is boring where I am (UK?)- I have family living over there and I previously worked temporarily in the USA as well and I enjoy the way of life over there, there is more opportunities over there compared to where I live, also you get more for your money over there property wise as compared to the UK is pretty expensive
What is your research – which visa are you eligible for - I dont know tbh, I think I probably stand more of a chance with the DV lottery as N.Ireland does not have a high immigrant rate compared to other places
Do you think you have the skill / education / experience that you can sell? That you can use as a draw card? well not particularly at the mo because I have to finish my archaeology degree then go on to do MA in cultural and musuem studies but I was looking online @ http://online.onecenter.org/link/summary19-3091.02 and the jobs in as an archaeologist amd museum curator/technicians are all in the Bright Outlook category which means that these jobs are set to grow within the next several years and I would need 5 years experience alongside the qualifications.

Bloody hell you have loads of qualifications what advice would you give to someone like myself to stand out from the crowd skills/career wise? would I have to go on and do a post-grad, or is that a bit extreme?

Thanks very much
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

will try and ask you some questions to see how much you have thought about it and I don’t mean to be rude but being honest with you

cost of the company wanting to hire/sponsor you I roughly think it would cost $3,000
Further, can you tell us what you have that many Americans (unemployed and ready to work NOW – don’t require no visa) don’t have for someone to sponsor you - probably not as much cos I'm only doing my degree and was told that I would have to go on to do a MA
Why do you want to move here? – other than having a good time, being around friends and ‘my life is boring where I am (UK?)- I have family living over there and I previously worked temporarily in the USA as well and I enjoy the way of life over there, there is more opportunities over there compared to where I live, also you get more for your money over there property wise as compared to the UK is pretty expensive
What is your research – which visa are you eligible for - I dont know tbh, I think I probably stand more of a chance with the DV lottery as N.Ireland does not have a high immigrant rate compared to other places
Do you think you have the skill / education / experience that you can sell? That you can use as a draw card? well not particularly at the mo because I have to finish my archaeology degree then go on to do MA in cultural and musuem studies but I was looking online @ http://online.onecenter.org/link/summary19-3091.02 and the jobs in as an archaeologist amd museum curator/technicians are all in the Bright Outlook category which means that these jobs are set to grow within the next several years and I would need 5 years experience alongside the qualifications.

Bloody hell you have loads of qualifications what advice would you give to someone like myself to stand out from the crowd skills/career wise? would I have to go on and do a post-grad, or is that a bit extreme?

Thanks very much

Ok, how, where and why did you work in the US before? What visa?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

I was on a cultural exchange programme that involved me working in Atlanta Georgia for the Atlanta Urban League doing administrative duties, it was a J1 visa, but that was 6 years ago
Old Jan 21st 2011, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

I was on a cultural exchange programme that involved me working in Atlanta Georgia for the Atlanta Urban League doing administrative duties, it was a J1 visa, but that was 6 years ago
Ah ok. As long as you worked legally.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much
Good, frankly from what you tell us – it’s not impossible but would be very difficult to move here with a job.

I like the fact that you kinda know where you stand. I think the best way forward is:
A) Go to the states for studies – this requires massive investment
B) Get your degree where you are and then work in a multinational in the hope of being transferred
C) DV Lottery and pray to god
D) Ditch your partner and marry USC  haha

Either way, you will need to do a lot of research, make lot of good connections and invest few years…
Old Jan 21st 2011, 12:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

She us going the DV route.

The degree is really immaterial.