Where to start people?

Old Jan 19th 2011, 6:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start people?

Originally Posted by chrissie12
What type of visa would I be able to go for?
There is no visa type that matches your skill set. You can both enter the DV lottery if you were both born in NI.

How long would a visa take? 2-3 yrs?
Infinitely long... until such time as you're eligible for a visa.

What is the deal with a green card, would my partner and I be able to apply for 1?
Not without a sponsor, no.

Would I have to get married to my partner first prior to applying for a Visa?
Only if you want your partner to get a derivative visa.

Ian
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I believe only NI is eligible.

Ian
I think S. Ireland is eligible.
http://dublin.usembassy.gov/visa_lottery.html
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:05 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BILDER
I think S. Ireland is eligible.
No, they're not - a notice on a web site doesn't make it so.

Ian
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Horus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura about

No, they're not - a notice on a web site doesn't make it so.

Ian
I beg to differ - we entered this year.

The US treats Ireland as Ireland - not Northern and Southern. NI is the only part of the 'UK' that's eligible for the DV lottery as it's joined onto the Republic
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought it was called the Irish Visa?

Anyway there are certain things I do not get.

Archeology Degree requires a certain amount of self discipline, ability to research etc. Would that not also suggest the ability to do a modicum of research about its ability to be a gateway to US Immigration?

The last time I looked the major sponsoring companies were in IT and Indian.

Archaeology, well somebody must have been sponsored, probably by a Uni.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Horus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Boiler
I thought it was called the Irish Visa?
I hope so - still have nearly 4 months to wait until we know if we've 'won'...not holding my breath
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Horus
NI is the only part of the 'UK' that's eligible for the DV lottery as it's joined onto the Republic
You're absolutely correct. My bad... apologies to you, BILDER, and avanutria. Don't know what got into my head!

Ian - retreating with egg on his face! ... need more coffee!
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

You're absolutely correct. My bad... apologies to you, BILDER, and avanutria. Don't know what got into my head!

No worries - that's what a forums for

First time I've looked at the US section - very interesting and very informative.

If the DV lottery doesn't work out might be looking at an E2 so founds loads of info tonight!

(Also now know not to start up a pool cleaning company)
Old Jan 19th 2011, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

No worries, I too wasn't sure. S'all good.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 2:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrissie12
bear in mind I'm doing an archaeology degree and there arent many archaeology jobs in Minnesota...
Why do you have to move to Minnesota? Perhaps there are archeological sites in more remote areas of the USA? Perhaps you can do some further degree work in the USA as a stepping stone? Perhaps a university will sponsor you to do archeological research on a J-1 visa? If I were you, this is probably where I'd start looking...

Rene
Old Jan 20th 2011, 3:10 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Why do you have to move to Minnesota? Perhaps there are archeological sites in more remote areas of the USA? Perhaps you can do some further degree work in the USA as a stepping stone? Perhaps a university will sponsor you to do archeological research on a J-1 visa? If I were you, this is probably where I'd start looking...

Rene
OP says that they have family in the US, so I'd assume the family are in MN.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

What kind of archaeology?
Dinosaurs= Montana area (I think)
Native American= basically anywhere in the US

Has he thought about getting a master's and becoming faculty somewhere?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 3:17 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of archaeology?
Dinosaurs= Montana area (I think)
Native American= basically anywhere in the US

Has he thought about getting a master's and becoming faculty somewhere?
Dinosaurs are paleontology (the study of ancient life), not archeology. Archeology is the study of ancient human cultures.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Dinosaurs are paleontology (the study of ancient life), not archeology. Archeology is the study of ancient human cultures.
Totally true! Very interesting wiki read. I learned something today!
Old Jan 20th 2011, 3:35 am
Shocked of Redmond

Totally true! Very interesting wiki read. I learned something today!
Glad to be of service!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.