What are my Options?

Old Jul 29th 2008, 4:06 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are my Options?

Originally Posted by Tracym
If he gets a greencard based on employment, doesn't he have to wait 5 years before he can apply for citizenship (as opposed to 3 for green card through marriage)?
Why would he want to do that? He can adjust based on his marriage to a USC.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
That was my point - someone suggested adjusting through employment as an option.

I agree with you.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 4:30 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

If he gets a greencard based on employment, doesn't he have to wait 5 years before he can apply for citizenship (as opposed to 3 for green card through marriage)?
No.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
No.
Why not?

Or is it if you have a green card and are married to a USC no matter how you got the greencard?
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Or is it if you have a green card and are married to a USC no matter how you got the greencard?
This one.

Rene
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:18 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
Hi:

Various reasons -- I have had clients married to US citizens who could also adjust based upon the job. It can be something like "I want to do it myself rather than be indebted to my spouse" -- and in one case, they had two kids!

On the citizenship question, it doesn't matter HOW one got the green card, but three years of living in marital union after getting LPR status. For example, lets say a person who has been an LPR for one year marries a US citizen -- they can apply four years after having obtained LPR.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Noorah101
This one.

Rene
Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Various reasons -- I have had clients married to US citizens who could also adjust based upon the job. It can be something like "I want to do it myself rather than be indebted to my spouse" -- and in one case, they had two kids!

On the citizenship question, it doesn't matter HOW one got the green card, but three years of living in marital union after getting LPR status. For example, lets say a person who has been an LPR for one year marries a US citizen -- they can apply four years after having obtained LPR.
Thanks both - I obviously had misunderstood that one.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 1:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Would he be approved for an L visa as he obviously has immigrant intent since his wife is a USC? That was the one thing that popped into my head, but I don't know if it's relevant to an L visa.

Of course, the L visa is a dual visa. Plus how will they know that he will want to get a green card. He might come to the US, after a year decide he doesn't want to live and returns to the UK.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 1:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No, he can apply for naturalization based on marriage to a USC as long as they have been married for three years and are still living together in a marital state and he has been a PR for 3 years.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

ElNeilios is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Thanks for all your replies and clarifications. Really helpful! Like some of you have pointed out, it is possible we might decide to go for a while and come home to the UK if it doesn't work out so maybe L visa is the best for this option?
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:03 pm
Barmy Harmy

Harm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ElNeilios
Hi All,

Thanks for all your replies and clarifications. Really helpful! Like some of you have pointed out, it is possible we might decide to go for a while and come home to the UK if it doesn't work out so maybe L visa is the best for this option?
Well, my wife and I did something similar...She was a USC in the UK with me. What we did is that she went over first to the US, started a job, and got her family to help with the support to give me an affidaivit to move over on the spouse visa.

Sure we didn't really get to see each other for a handful of months (webcams and free internet phonecalls helped out), but now with that in mind, I am not tied down to a company or anything like that and am free to make my own choices over here. A couple of years later and we're still happy with the choice we made.

It depends on what you're willing to do (as in move together or she moves first and then helps you move over). If she has any family in the US willing to help out with the paperwork and show that they are willing to help you, should you be out of a job - basically the USCIS wants to see that you're able to stand on your own two feet as you would not be allowed to have any access to money from welfare/state etc. until your 2 year restriction is up. As soon as you get a job, you're fine...
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Harm
Well, my wife and I did something similar...She was a USC in the UK with me. What we did is that she went over first to the US, started a job, and got her family to help with the support to give me an affidaivit to move over on the spouse visa.

Sure we didn't really get to see each other for a handful of months (webcams and free internet phonecalls helped out), but now with that in mind, I am not tied down to a company or anything like that and am free to make my own choices over here. A couple of years later and we're still happy with the choice we made.

It depends on what you're willing to do (as in move together or she moves first and then helps you move over). If she has any family in the US willing to help out with the paperwork and show that they are willing to help you, should you be out of a job - basically the USCIS wants to see that you're able to stand on your own two feet as you would not be allowed to have any access to money from welfare/state etc. until your 2 year restriction is up. As soon as you get a job, you're fine...
If she had a family member as a co-sponsor, she didn't need to go over first and get a job.

Also, I don't believe there is anything such as a 2-year restriction. The financial sponsorship applies basically until the immigrant has 40 quarters of work (10 years), becomes a citizen, or the sponsor or immigrant dies.