I-130 Q21 married/cohabiting/housemates

I-130 Q21 married/cohabiting/housemates

Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:21 am
Just Joined

amhere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-130 Q21 married/cohabiting/housemates

Hi hi

I have a detailed question about how to answer Q21 on the form I-130
"If filing for your husband/wife, give last address at which you lived together"
It asked for the address and the date.

We have been living at the same address as house mates, then later as partners, and also as a married couple. Which date should I enter?

many thanks
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:26 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130 Q21 married/cohabiting/housemates

Originally Posted by amhere
Hi hi

"If filing for your husband/wife, give last address at which you lived together"

We have been living at the same address as house mates, then later as partners, and also as a married couple. Which date should I enter?

many thanks
I would put FROM the date you were married, and if you are still living together, put TO "present".

Since the petition is based on marriage, in my opinion those are the only dates necessary. It specifically asks how long you've been living with your spouse. Before the date you were married, you weren't living with a spouse.

That's how I would answer it.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:28 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi hi

many thanks
Hi:

I assume you mean that you started off living in the same place and then developed a strong affection, which lead to, and then lead to, etc etc. Note the question does not ask when you two got romantically involved -- just give the first date you lived at the same address.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I would put FROM the date you were married, and if you are still living together, put TO "present".

Since the petition is based on marriage, in my opinion those are the only dates necessary. It specifically asks how long you've been living with your spouse. Before the date you were married, you weren't living with a spouse.

That's how I would answer it.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Hi:

Beg to disagree. BIA case law long holds that sexual relations are not necessary.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:30 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Answer the question that is asked and give the dates that you lived together.

Some couples, such as yourselves, may have lived together for longer than they have been married. Other couples (I was one) never lived together despite being married until after the visa was issued and the foreign spouse entered the USA.

Regards, JEff

Hi hi

many thanks
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:34 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Beg to disagree. BIA case law long holds that sexual relations are not necessary.
Ah, I see. Thanks.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 6:40 am
Account Closed

Ah, I see. Thanks.
Hi:

Actually, the case in question, Matter of Peterson, dates from 1986. Not only did the Board order approval of the visa petition, they specifically noted that there was no evidence of fraud and that their reasons for getting married "were better than most." It is the only BIA decision I have ever read that had me LOL!
Old Jul 29th 2008, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Hi:
just give the first date you lived at the same address.
That seems very sensible, but...

I currently have F-1 visa status, I am a student. As I understand it every time I enter USA using my F-1 visa I am declaring to the US government that I intend to leave after I have completed my studies. And up until the last time I entered USA I did have every intention of leaving, but things have changed. Is putting the date we first lived at the same address the right thing to do since it could create doubt concerning the validity of my F-1 visa status - as in it might look like I entered the country with the intention of staying.

Since the question can also be read as :
It specifically asks how long you've been living with your spouse. Before the date you were married, you weren't living with a spouse.
Would it be better to answer it like this?

What do you think I should do?
Old Jul 29th 2008, 11:34 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

That seems very sensible, but...

I currently have F-1 visa status, I am a student. As I understand it every time I enter USA using my F-1 visa I am declaring to the US government that I intend to leave after I have completed my studies. And up until the last time I entered USA I did have every intention of leaving, but things have changed. Is putting the date we first lived at the same address the right thing to do since it could create doubt concerning the validity of my F-1 visa status - as in it might look like I entered the country with the intention of staying.

Since the question can also be read as :

Would it be better to answer it like this?

What do you think I should do?
Check out this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496224
Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

As I understand it every time I enter USA using my F-1 visa I am declaring to the US government that I intend to leave after I have completed my studies.
Hi:

Do you actually SAY every time something like "I have a home abroad of which I have no intention of abandoning?" If not, where do you get your "understanding?" Just curious.

An interesting case. Although it is now 33 years old, it is still good law in my opinion.

http://www.usdoj.gov/eoir/vll/intdec/vol15/2349.pdf
Old Jul 29th 2008, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Is putting the date we first lived at the same address the right thing to do since it could create doubt concerning the validity of my F-1 visa status...
So what? Your F-1 doesn't require you to revalidate your intent once it's issued. All that matters was your intent when you received the F-1... and having an F-1 does not preclude your also adjusting your status by virtue of your marriage.

Ian
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:50 am
Just Joined

Hi:
Do you actually SAY every time something like "I have a home abroad of which I have no intention of abandoning?" If not, where do you get your "understanding?" Just curious.
http://www.usdoj.gov/eoir/vll/intdec/vol15/2349.pdf
No, but we had a conversation with an immigration lawyer and she told us this. - and I believed her silly me.

Thank you all for your help clarifying this question. The links were great.
Appreciate