Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What is the longest Vermont/London Process time?

What is the longest Vermont/London Process time?

Old Nov 4th 2002, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

gracejilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is the longest Vermont/London Process time?

I am expecting my future husband's divorce decree before Christmas. I am ready to file my I129F, just waiting for a copy of the decree. I would like to start planning the wedding, Would you think March 22 is a reasonable date to expect everything to be done and dusted?
Old Nov 4th 2002, 11:31 am
Account Closed

katesuiter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is the longest Vermont/London Process time?

Originally posted by gracejilly
I am expecting my future husband's divorce decree before Christmas. I am ready to file my I129F, just waiting for a copy of the decree. I would like to start planning the wedding, Would you think March 22 is a reasonable date to expect everything to be done and dusted?
I couldn't tell you too much about Vermont, coz I'm going through Texas, but from what I've gathered from the posts here, Vermont seem to be on a bit of a go-slow, but that might be something to do with the audit.
I'm going through London too, and I'm glad to say they're quite efficient. They're one of the consulates who will open up a provisional file for you in advance. It's up to you, but you can file your packet 3 forms while you're waiting for approval, and this will save time. It took them about 3 weeks to assign a provisional case number for me.
Hope this helps.
Kate.xxxxx
Old Nov 4th 2002, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Grace,

Vermont was fast, then they were slow and now they seem to be speeding up a bit again. To be honest. I wouldn't set a specific date. You can aim for a date, but in the INS world of forms, paperwork and panic attacks, nothing is set in concrete. Are you planning a big wedding or an informal one? I understand your need to set the date with a more formal affair, but the INS makes it extremely difficult to do things that way. It chaps my butt that they put us through all this when all we want to do is get married and start our lives together.

Cheers,

Leslie

(sorry I wasn't much help)
Old Nov 4th 2002, 12:50 pm
Scarlett

hi

i got my decree absolute july 15. my fiancé filed his petition the next day
with a faxed copy of the absolute. i got my visa in london on october 31st. 3
and a half months end to end.

my fiancé filed through texas which is pretty quick - took 2-3 weeks. i had a
provisional file already set up in london waiting for his approved petition. my
guess is you're cutting it very fine, what with the christmas break and you not
expecting the absolute till december. my guess is you need at least another
month, if not two - depends how quick you get together after the visa. but
anything's possible...

there are no guarantees in this thing. vermont and london are quick, probably
the best combination you could have. but if you get an IBIS hit or request for
further evidence it will slow you down considerably.

i wouldn't risk money on march 22 if i were you.

wishing you a speedy process.

regards
-=-
scarlett

Old Nov 4th 2002, 1:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by gracejilly
Your main timeline issue will be with the Consulate and not Vermont (if everything is in order and there is no RFE from them). Vermont traditionally is 15 to 21 days and people here are conveniently forgetting that ALL SERVICE CENTERS were closed for nearly a month and unless the petiiton was already on someone's desk for processing, there was no chance that their petition made it out of the mailroom or general "to do" pile and onto someone's desk for processing.

March is, IMO, a little optimistic. I would aim more for an April wedding giving myself at least another month in case of a RFE.

Be sure that the divorce decree is the final one "Absolute" decree and that you photocopy so that the seal and all filing marks are clearly visible. Also be sure that you supply proof of your meeting in person during the last two years. I would add include your name (USC) and your fiancee's name (UKC) on the back of any document you provide so that if it becomes separated it stands a chance of being reunited with its petition.

Rete
Old Nov 4th 2002, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Rete said:

"people here are conveniently forgetting that ALL SERVICE CENTERS were closed for nearly a month and unless the petiiton was already on someone's desk for processing, there was no chance that their petition made it out of the mailroom or general "to do" pile and onto someone's desk for processing. "

Hey Rete! I am new to this. When were all Service Centers closed for a month??? I had no idea of this. Was this recently>

Thanks,

Leslie(AKA clueless in Atlanta)
Old Nov 4th 2002, 2:26 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know they were closed either, I only heard there's an audit going on there. Although, I did try to find information about anything going on at the VSC that might cause delays, but couldn't find anything...I didn't quite know where to look.

Juliet
Old Nov 4th 2002, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

gracejilly is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the quick responses. We are planning a formal ish wedding.

We did open a provisional file in London and have a file #. I have tons of proof as we met in March 2000 on line and in person April 2000 and he has just completed his 16th flight accross to visit me and I was accross there last Christmas. We have lots of pictures of us together, he and his boys were here the last two summers for holiday...camping trip etc. Phone bills, we talk atleast three times a day, letters, cards, emails.....I honestly don't think they will ask for any more evidence. I am a little nervous about filing right after his divorce is final, but we don't want to wait any longer.

We already have the police cert. And I am hoping this will help, he is a police constable in Scotland and I have a salary that can support us. (for now)

But, I don't want to have to postpone. I won't set any dates until he gets notice of the interview date. Damn
Old Nov 4th 2002, 3:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jcapulet
I didn't know they were closed either, I only heard there's an audit going on there. Although, I did try to find information about anything going on at the VSC that might cause delays, but couldn't find anything...I didn't quite know where to look.

Juliet
The audit was the closing. Although employees were there, they were doing an audit and only the petitions already on the desks of adjudicators were worked on. This is tanamont to being closed. The timeframe for that audit was mid-September/early October.

Rete
Old Nov 4th 2002, 4:02 pm
Concierge

Originally posted by Rete
The audit was the closing. Although employees were there, they were doing an audit and only the petitions already on the desks of adjudicators were worked on. This is tanamont to being closed. The timeframe for that audit was mid-September/early October.

Rete
Here is the URL that gives Mr. Udall's detailed posting of the above mentioned audit. I don't believe I am violating any laws by posting this URL for your information. If so, I hope this oversight is excused.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=audit+author:MDudall&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=9&as_miny=2002&as_m axd=4&as_maxm=11&as_maxy=2002&selm=20020924234948. 21919.00000258%40mb-mc.aol.com&rnum=1

Rete
Old Nov 4th 2002, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well now I am still confused. Was it an audit of the CSC and VSC only or of all Service Centers?

Leslie
Old Nov 4th 2002, 6:16 pm
Scarlett

>I am a little nervous about filing right after his divorce is final, but
    >we don't want to wait any longer.

relax. the day i got my decree absolute i faxed it to garth and he filed his
petition the next day. i now have my visa. this was never an issue.

i think they recognise some people don't get round to filing for divorce unless
and until they're planning to marry again. it's not simply that the marriage
only just ended.
in my case i was so wrecked by everything that had happened i couldn't face
dealing with the divorce at the time and later just let it drift. i was so sure
i never wanted to marry again and only applied for it when garth and i realised
we wanted to marry.

they did ask me about the length of my previous marriage and i explained he
walked and they were satisfied with my explanation. if you're still worried
about it and want to talk some more feel free to mail - [email protected].

regards
-=-
scarlett

Old Nov 4th 2002, 10:29 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future
Default er, I'd plan longer

Well, we went the Vermont/London route in 2002. I sent in the stuff in the beginning of Jan, got both NOA's from Vermont by the end of Jan, and he got his first notice in Feb or March. His process was slowed down by about a month and a half because he was waiting on Egyptian police cert. (he lived there for years). He already had gotten the British one.
I think March 22 is cutting it awlfully close- I think you'd be better off with a late April or early May wedding date.
Our timeline is posted on our homepage if you're interested: http://www.bethandpaul.com