Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What happens to wife's I-130 after I change my status from PR to Citizen

What happens to wife's I-130 after I change my status from PR to Citizen

Old Jun 23rd 2006, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

tijbedi is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What happens to wife's I-130 after I change my status from PR to Citizen

How much longer does it take after I become a U.S. Citizen. What are the steps I would have to follow? As of now, the I-130 Petition is approved and the application is in India waiting for a F2A category priority date. But once I upgrade my status to a Citizen, what happens next? What much longer would it take?
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happens to wife's I-130 after I change my status from PR to Citizen

Originally Posted by tijbedi
How much longer does it take after I become a U.S. Citizen.
Once you become a US citizen, your spouse will no longer be subject to a quota so a visa will become available immediately... and your petition will then take only as long as it normally would for a US citizen - probably 6 or 7 months rather than 6 or 7 years.

Ian
Old Jun 24th 2006, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

tijbedi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What happens to wife's I-130 after I change my status from PR to Citizen

Okay thanks, but also, in my case my wife's I-130 has already been approved and was transferred from the NVC to the U.S consulate where she currently is. We were just waiting for the Priority Date to become current.

So now can't they just pickup from there? or Would I need to file a new I-130? Can't I just upgrade the application and then as the F2A quota wont apply to her anymore, and they would just proceed with the rest of the process that was left i.e. medicals and interview

I hope I am clear, please let me know if I could provide anymore information.

Thanks alot for you help in advance.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Once you become a US citizen, your spouse will no longer be subject to a quota so a visa will become available immediately... and your petition will then take only as long as it normally would for a US citizen - probably 6 or 7 months rather than 6 or 7 years.

Ian
Old Jun 24th 2006, 2:05 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tijbedi
So now can't they just pickup from there?
You don't need to file a new I-130 and nothing else in the process will change. When the time comes, write a letter to USCIS and send a copy to the consulate informing them of your change of status - they will upgrade the application and things should start to move more quickly.

Ian