Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Can't prove sufficient ties - What else to do?

Can't prove sufficient ties - What else to do?

Old Jun 24th 2006, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

sherlock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can't prove sufficient ties - What else to do?

I have a non-immigrant visa question.

My Mother in Law in the Philippines has now been denied a tourist Visa 3 times. Unfortunately, she's a victim of stereotyping, and the consuls don't seem to have the latitude to consider individual circumstances. She's retired, widowed, and my wife is her only child, so the consul can't believe that she won't overstay her visa, even though she has no desire to live in the US. She owns property in the Philippines and rents out apartments, but the consul says she could be a landlord just as easily from the states. Very frustrating.

I have found out there is something called a Maintenance of Status and Departure Bond. Most of the info is in legalese, but as near as I can tell it's money that I could post at a bail bondsman and register at the local CIS office as a pledge that she will not overstay her visa. However, it looks like we can't volunteer for it, it can only be initiated by the consular officer. I also found guidance that basically says consular officers shouldn't do it because it's too expensive to track.

Has anyone ever heard of a consul doing this?

We're thinking of trying again with a letter from my senator. Wonder if it would do any good if I have him mention that we are willing to post such a bond?

--------------------
Relationship Timeline
July 20, 2002 - Met my soulmate while stationed in Japan, began torrid love affair.
Nov 21, 2003 - Proposed. To my amazement and joy she said yes.
Dec 19, 2003 - Flew back to states for new assignment
Feb 14, 2004 - Married in USA (small Civil Ceremony)
Feb 12, 2005 - Big Church Wedding - Renewal of vows with friends and family

DCF Timeline
Aug 4, 2004 - DCF at USEMBASSY Tokyo APPROVED!!!! Received Packets 3 and 4.
Sep 30, 2004 - Final interview at USEMBASSY Japan APPROVED!!!!
Sep 30, 2004 - The countdown to USA begins.
Oct 26, 2004 - SHE's HERE!!!!

Lifting of Conditions Timeline
July 2006 - Time to file!