551 at the airport?

Old Jun 24th 2006, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

almoya is on a distinguished road
Default 551 at the airport?

Hello all!

I've been on assignment for work in Mexico for a few days and my wife says CIS sent an email saying "welcome letter has been mailed" for our i485 petition. I presume that means my status has been changed to a LPR during my brief abscence

I am currently travelling with an Advance Parole document. Wondering two things: 1) should I expect any hassle at JFK once I return? 2) Is it reasonable to ask the POE officer at JFK for a i-551 stamp since my status has presumably changed?

thanks for any input. I return tomorrow to the US.

Alberto
Old Jun 24th 2006, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

pianoplayer has a brilliant futurepianoplayer has a brilliant futurepianoplayer has a brilliant futurepianoplayer has a brilliant futurepianoplayer has a brilliant futurepianoplayer has a brilliant futurepianoplayer has a brilliant future
Default Re: 551 at the airport?

Originally Posted by almoya
Hello all!

I've been on assignment for work in Mexico for a few days and my wife says CIS sent an email saying "welcome letter has been mailed" for our i485 petition. I presume that means my status has been changed to a LPR during my brief abscence

I am currently travelling with an Advance Parole document. Wondering two things: 1) should I expect any hassle at JFK once I return? 2) Is it reasonable to ask the POE officer at JFK for a i-551 stamp since my status has presumably changed?

thanks for any input. I return tomorrow to the US.

Alberto

I have seen some questions and answer along these lines on here before. I remember one of the experts on here saying that someone that has AP would not have a problem entering if your status has changed to LPR since you left. Will you have no hassles? That I dont know for sure, there may be some procedural problems and holdups, but I believe you will be allowed to enter. Of course, this is what I read on here - my advice is not definitive.

I have no idea about your second question - if you are admitted successfully, I guess there is no harm in asking them.