Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What happens if you need to change the date of the interview...

What happens if you need to change the date of the interview...

Old Sep 7th 2004, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

Jason-Oregon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What happens if you need to change the date of the interview...

Hi guys

Well I went for my job interview today (two parts, one is testing which is very long and very very boring, and the other is the interview).

I get home, go and pick the youngster up from school and they have called, with a urgent "please call back" so I call back and they want me to go in tomorrow for a meeting.

It was stated at the interview today, that the training part of my interview would be 30 days, with a strict "there will be no time off, you WILL not be late", otherwise we will have to remove you from the training schedule as we are very busy.

Anyhow I ramble.... the 30 days, from start to finish would take me at least 10 days past my AOS interview.. (and I will need this job as my orginal sponser pulled out) so I can put my earning's with my wifes.

If I send a letter now registered delivery, would they mind do you think if I asked for my interview to be scheduled a month later?

Its a *really* good job with a terrific pay, and I would be mad not to take it.

Anyone got any comments? what worries me is the post above mine about the AOS denied.

Thanks

Jay
Old Sep 8th 2004, 12:04 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happens if you need to change the date of the interview...

Hi Jay,
Obviously they are aware that you are not a permanent resident as of yet since you had to show them an EAD and fill out an I-9, right? If so, then they must also understand that your Adjustment of Status appointment is extremely important, not only to you personally but also to them if they want to keep you as a worker.

My husband just started his first job today but during his interviews did mention that he would possibly need a day off to attend the AOS interview down the road. We were lucky in that they basically said, "no problem", just let us know when you get the appt. letter and we'll work around it.

Have you spoken to them about it?

~SecretGarden

P.S. How the h*ll did you get your AOS interview so fast? Seems like yesterday that you were concerned about the tear in your brown envelope, or do I have you confused with someone else? Man, time flies......

Last edited by SecretGarden; Sep 8th 2004 at 12:09 am. Reason: afterthought and question to the poster
Old Sep 8th 2004, 12:53 am
Just Joined

P.S. How the h*ll did you get your AOS interview so fast? Seems like yesterday that you were concerned about the tear in your brown envelope, or do I have you confused with someone else? Man, time flies....

Nope thats me I filed for AOS in July, got my 1 year EAD last week and my interview in October... somebody there stated that they needed a day off and they were told that they would have to be put in another training class which starts a month from the other one.

Ive just noticed on the bottom on the letter that it says "blah blah... if an individual requested to appear for fingerprinting or an interview does not appear, the service does not receive his or her request for rescheduling (for good cause) by the date of the interview....."

So Im going to see what happens... tomorrow after the company speaks to me...

Jay
Old Sep 8th 2004, 1:05 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Well you've had the testing and the interview and now a call back. So you have yet to be hired from the reading of your post, although there is a strong possibility of it. If you are hired tomorrow and they will not give you the day off for the interview then take yourself immediately to the district office and in your best groveling and apologetic voice ask for a rescheduling due to ..... or does your office go by the INFOPASS system for appointments.

I would not chance writing them unless it was absolutely necessary.

Rete

Originally Posted by Jason-Oregon
P.S. How the h*ll did you get your AOS interview so fast? Seems like yesterday that you were concerned about the tear in your brown envelope, or do I have you confused with someone else? Man, time flies....

Nope thats me I filed for AOS in July, got my 1 year EAD last week and my interview in October... somebody there stated that they needed a day off and they were told that they would have to be put in another training class which starts a month from the other one.

Ive just noticed on the bottom on the letter that it says "blah blah... if an individual requested to appear for fingerprinting or an interview does not appear, the service does not receive his or her request for rescheduling (for good cause) by the date of the interview....."

So Im going to see what happens... tomorrow after the company speaks to me...

Jay
Old Sep 8th 2004, 1:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Well you've had the testing and the interview and now a call back. So you have yet to be hired from the reading of your post, although there is a strong possibility of it. If you are hired tomorrow and they will not give you the day off for the interview then take yourself immediately to the district office and in your best groveling and apologetic voice ask for a rescheduling due to ..... or does your office go by the INFOPASS system for appointments.

I would not chance writing them unless it was absolutely necessary.

Rete
Hi Rete

Alas going to the district office is a bit difficult, its a 450 miles round trip.. the last time we went up for the EAD was a hard drive.. (and with my missus shouting at me for giving her crap directions).

Our office does do INFOPASS, just looking into that now.

I would not miss the interview for anything else... but (and im being honest here) its very difficult coping with just one wage coming in and this job is like a dream come true for me.

Anyhows you are right... I do need to see the people tomorrow, and knowing my luck I would blow it anyway

Thanks for taking the time to answer my post guys

Jay
Old Sep 8th 2004, 1:13 am
Just Joined

And I know im a loon for answering my own posts..... but they also do something called a "background check" I take it this is why I had to give them my SS number?

Jay
Old Sep 8th 2004, 1:19 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

And I know im a loon for answering my own posts..... but they also do something called a "background check" I take it this is why I had to give them my SS number?

Jay

Who? The prospective employer? They might if your position is dealing with security issues or requires bonding. But they would not check with SSA. They would check with the police, FBI, etc.

When I have gone a job interview (admittedly not many as I tend to be a long term employee) the applications you complete always ask for your Social Security Number. It is only after you are hired that you complete the I-9 and have to show your ability to accept employment if you are an alien with a restricted social security card.

Rete
Old Sep 8th 2004, 4:29 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Who? The prospective employer? They might if your position is dealing with security issues or requires bonding. But they would not check with SSA. They would check with the police, FBI, etc.

When I have gone a job interview (admittedly not many as I tend to be a long term employee) the applications you complete always ask for your Social Security Number. It is only after you are hired that you complete the I-9 and have to show your ability to accept employment if you are an alien with a restricted social security card.

Rete

They could've also wanted the SSN to run a credit check, although in his case there probably won't be much there to check!

Of course, they probably would've required written permission from him to do this, so that's probably not why they asked for it. However, more companies are doing credit checks these days as part of the hiring process.

~ Jenney
Old Sep 8th 2004, 1:01 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Jay
You also have to give them your SSN in order to get paid....

My husband's employer also had him sign something consenting to a "background check" but I can't remember exactly who was doing the checking. Anyway, we figured if he had been through an FBI check to obtain the visa, he'd pass again with flying colors.

Good luck Jay, but I really wouldn't miss the interview for AOS---there are those of us out there who would jump at the opportunity to AOS within two years of arriving! (Chicago office is working on apps from two years ago.....)

~SecretGarden
Old Sep 8th 2004, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
You also have to give them your SSN in order to get paid....

Good luck Jay, but I really wouldn't miss the interview for AOS---there are those of us out there who would jump at the opportunity to AOS within two years of arriving! (Chicago office is working on apps from two years ago.....)

~SecretGarden

Believe me, I dont want to miss it... however due to the fact that my sponser had to pull out after I sent the paperwork, and also that my missus only earns around $17,500 a year (we are supporting us plus our son) so we would have to use our assets I just feel that having my wage on top would really help us get past the AOS interview....

When I go in today Im going to see what can be done

Thanks for wishing me luck...I tell you I used to get nervous before any kind of job interview (not that Ive had a lot as Ive always had long term careers), however after dealing with INS interviews are easy

Jay
Old Sep 8th 2004, 3:15 pm
The Missus

Believe me, I dont want to miss it... however due to the fact that my sponser had to pull out after I sent the paperwork, and also that my missus only earns around $17,500 a year (we are supporting us plus our son) so we would have to use our assets I just feel that having my wage on top would really help us get past the AOS interview....

When I go in today Im going to see what can be done

Thanks for wishing me luck...I tell you I used to get nervous before any kind of job interview (not that Ive had a lot as Ive always had long term careers), however after dealing with INS interviews are easy

Jay
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the AOS applicant's income can only be used for the I-864 if they have lived in the same household with the USC for at least six months at the time of the interview---will you make that cut off date?

See also the thread by Alect regarding his AOS abandonment situation--makes for some interesting reading.......

Take a deep breath, it will all fall into place eventually.

~SecretGarden
Old Sep 8th 2004, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the AOS applicant's income can only be used for the I-864 if they have lived in the same household with the USC for at least six months at the time of the interview---will you make that cut off date?

See also the thread by Alect regarding his AOS abandonment situation--makes for some interesting reading.......

Take a deep breath, it will all fall into place eventually.

~SecretGarden
Nope you are right about that... however we lived together in the UK from October 97 until December 04... then we lived together in the states from April 02 till october 02 is 6 months I just make the date....

I saw the thread from Alect, that is what is worrying me... I guess though it depends how busy your local office is.. in Oregon with the processing times as good as they are (I guess a lot of people dont come to oregon, which is a shame as its a real nice place) If I have to do the letter route, someone might read it before my interview.

Anyhows, lets see what today brings...

Jay