Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Went Thru Biometrics Appt Today - was VERY fast and not what we expected

Went Thru Biometrics Appt Today - was VERY fast and not what we expected

Old Nov 4th 2003, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Went Thru Biometrics Appt Today - was VERY fast and not what we expected

We had an appt today for 1pm for biometrics at the Brooklyn NY office at 1pm.

We got there early at 12:30pm. To our utter amazement, the place was so quiet, you could hear a pin drop. There was almost no one there. Most of the employees were sitting around twiddling their thumbs, telling jokes or going thru menus trying to decide what to order for lunch. It was comical because when we checked in, they gave us a number for the “line� - number 83. But before we could sit down and take off our coats, they called the number. We were in & out of the office in under an hour - wish I hadn’t taken the day off from work but oh well - things could have been worse so we’re giving thanks & counting our blessings.

The process was startling simple:

*showed passport and NOA’s
*filled out a simple form re name, address, etc
*went directly to id station where the officer / agent started with the fingerprints, photos, what have you

She told us the EAD card would come in the mail in about 2 months - another person there told us it would likely arrive sooner.

Three things interesting:

1. When we made the appt by phone in September, they were totally stressing how “backed up� they were with appts and how slammed they were thru the months of Oct and Nov and how hard it was to get an appt. Strange because when we went there today, it was “dead� I tell you, and the lady who did the biometrics said it’s been that way for weeks & weeks & weeks now. I’m certain the BCIS has some system that they’re following but I can’t understand it.

2. When we asked the officer / agent if we could have come earlier like 9 or 10 am instead of our 1pm appt, she said yes, we could’ve come anytime as long as we had an appt but we could NOT have shown up on any day, without a specific appt for the day.

3. When we checked in at the first desk I asked 1 question and got 2 different answers - when we got to the person doing the fingerprinting, she gave us a 3rd different answer. Ahhh! Basically I was trying to determine if they were going to use this biometrics day, (fingerprints & photo) for both the AOS temp green card and EAD and AP if necessary. My hope is that they weren’t going to require another total separate biometrics trip for each of these. One person told us absolutely yes - that we would have to come back another day & appt as today’s info would ABSOLUTELY ONLY be used for the EAD. Another person told us that she didn’t know and the last person told us that yes, all the info they took today would be used for all 3 purposes.

Anyway - it all went quick & well so in the end, it’s all good.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 11:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Went Thru Biometrics Appt Today - was VERY fast and not what we expected

From our experience and the experience of others on the forum, security clearance is done with all ten prints and not just the one that was taken for the EAD. So unless they took all ten prints, plan on another visit to the office. My husband has been to the ASC office in New Rochelle twice so far for security clearance prints.

Congratulations btw.

Rete

Originally posted by janadeen
We had an appt today for 1pm for biometrics at the Brooklyn NY office at 1pm.

We got there early at 12:30pm. To our utter amazement, the place was so quiet, you could hear a pin drop. There was almost no one there. Most of the employees were sitting around twiddling their thumbs, telling jokes or going thru menus trying to decide what to order for lunch. It was comical because when we checked in, they gave us a number for the “line� - number 83. But before we could sit down and take off our coats, they called the number. We were in & out of the office in under an hour - wish I hadn’t taken the day off from work but oh well - things could have been worse so we’re giving thanks & counting our blessings.

The process was startling simple:

*showed passport and NOA’s
*filled out a simple form re name, address, etc
*went directly to id station where the officer / agent started with the fingerprints, photos, what have you

She told us the EAD card would come in the mail in about 2 months - another person there told us it would likely arrive sooner.

Three things interesting:

1. When we made the appt by phone in September, they were totally stressing how “backed up� they were with appts and how slammed they were thru the months of Oct and Nov and how hard it was to get an appt. Strange because when we went there today, it was “dead� I tell you, and the lady who did the biometrics said it’s been that way for weeks & weeks & weeks now. I’m certain the BCIS has some system that they’re following but I can’t understand it.

2. When we asked the officer / agent if we could have come earlier like 9 or 10 am instead of our 1pm appt, she said yes, we could’ve come anytime as long as we had an appt but we could NOT have shown up on any day, without a specific appt for the day.

3. When we checked in at the first desk I asked 1 question and got 2 different answers - when we got to the person doing the fingerprinting, she gave us a 3rd different answer. Ahhh! Basically I was trying to determine if they were going to use this biometrics day, (fingerprints & photo) for both the AOS temp green card and EAD and AP if necessary. My hope is that they weren’t going to require another total separate biometrics trip for each of these. One person told us absolutely yes - that we would have to come back another day & appt as today’s info would ABSOLUTELY ONLY be used for the EAD. Another person told us that she didn’t know and the last person told us that yes, all the info they took today would be used for all 3 purposes.

Anyway - it all went quick & well so in the end, it’s all good.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Went Thru Biometrics Appt Today - was VERY fast and not what we expected

She did take all ten prints from all ten fingers.

Originally posted by Rete
From our experience and the experience of others on the forum, security clearance is done with all ten prints and not just the one that was taken for the EAD. So unless they took all ten prints, plan on another visit to the office. My husband has been to the ASC office in New Rochelle twice so far for security clearance prints.

Congratulations btw.

Rete
Old Nov 5th 2003, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

CHILLING is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete

Congratulations btw.

Rete
hi rete i just wanted to know if the 90 day ruke still applies.i ahve a biometrics appointement on the 26 of november but my 91 days is on the 24th of november. i am thinking of going to federal plaza on the 25th anyway and try and get the ead. it takes too long to get the ead if it is done byt he biometrics so i think i am going to federal plaza and then the day of my appoinment which is the 26th od november i will go anyway to the appointment and let them know about that. i just do not want to be out of work and wait for two months for an ead. does this make sense to you . please help me thank u in advance.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 4:44 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by CHILLING
hi rete i just wanted to know if the 90 day ruke still applies.i ahve a biometrics appointement on the 26 of november but my 91 days is on the 24th of november. i am thinking of going to federal plaza on the 25th anyway and try and get the ead. it takes too long to get the ead if it is done byt he biometrics so i think i am going to federal plaza and then the day of my appoinment which is the 26th od november i will go anyway to the appointment and let them know about that. i just do not want to be out of work and wait for two months for an ead. does this make sense to you . please help me thank u in advance.
Hi:

The OP confirms what I have been saying about the ASC's -- they are not that crowded. It won't hurt to go in early and try to have it taken.

I had a client with an employment based AOS pending in LA and he was on a temporary assignment in Honolulu -- they honored the LA fingerprint appointment.

One of the LA ASC's is near the LA Immigration Court -- and I've went with clients after in-court filing of AOS's to the nearby ASC without any appointment whatsoever and as long as you had proof of payment of the $50 fee and filing of AOS in court, they did it. Again -- without appointment.

The worst that happens is they say "no" -- it doesn't hurt to try.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 3:09 pm
Wales is next to England

Gasherjohn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OT Fingers and aliens

Originally posted by janadeen
She did take all ten prints from all ten fingers.
When they take all twelve prints from all twelve fingers.... that's when you really know you ARE an alien