Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Which visas are quickest once married?

Which visas are quickest once married?

Old Apr 1st 2022, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Crystal Rose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which visas are quickest once married?

Hello, just joined.
I am in/from UK, my fiancée is in/from USA, I fly out again in 12 wks to NYS, and we will be marrying. It’s too late for K1 visa cos lock down messed plans up! We have been together 2.5 years, I already visited her there met the family etc and so wish to move over asap once married. Which visa best please CR-1? And will my passport get taken off me in UK til it’s processed? Or can I still fly to her? Or, can I move to be with her in the USA while it’s still processing , by filling out extra forms?
It Will be straight forward case ours as no children going with me, both have clean records as we are health carers. Do you know the exact visa costs for 2022 and time scales aiming at, and do I need extra inoculations ? I had all childhood ones. Am triple vaxed for covid. Not had any tetanus boosters since tho, or Hepatitis jabs! Do I need to get now?
many thanks, I have many questions.
Crystal. 🙏🏼
Old Apr 1st 2022, 5:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which visas are quickest once married?

Hi,

The only visa available to you, after you marry, is the CR-1. So that's the one you need.

You keep your passport until your interview date (maybe a year from now or so), so you'll still be able to visit while waiting.

There is not a visa that allows you to move to the USA while waiting (unless you qualify for your own work visa).

Timelines are sort of fluctuating since COVID, but you can probably expect a year or more from start to finish.

Look at the London Embassy Immigrant Visa page for details on vaccinations and visa fees. For the I-130 fees that will be on the USCIS website.

Rene
Old Apr 1st 2022, 6:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If you're missing any jabs, such as a tetanus booster, you can get them ahead of time, or for a small fee you can get them during your visa medical, which is what I did as I was due for my 10-year booster right at the time of my medical. Not all of the "required" jabs are even available in the UK, so if you grew up in the UK and got all your jabs as a child, there probably aren't many that you're missing anyway.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 9:47 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The posts are excellent and cover the topic in detail. Just to add, that since you retain your passport you are still free to visit the US while the visa is processing, so long as you are otherwise eligible. Be aware however, that saying you are there to see your wife could potentially invite further questions, and your entry is totally at the discretion of the immigration officer.
Old Apr 5th 2022, 4:18 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, I’m not touching the issues with a ten foot pole.
Old Apr 5th 2022, 12:51 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Hmm, I’m not touching the issues with a ten foot pole.
never been on a barge with a pole… all the punts I was on had a much longer pole than 10 foot. Where are you boating in such shallow water?