Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

L1B Visa to Green Card via marrying a USC - I-765 Processing times?

L1B Visa to Green Card via marrying a USC - I-765 Processing times?

Old Oct 26th 2021, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

JonathanUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Question L1B Visa to Green Card via marrying a USC - I-765 Processing times?

Hi everyone,

I moved to the States in February 2020 on an L1B visa, yes right before the craziness began! Since then the company I have worked for has hemorrhaged jobs and unfortunately recently announced it is closing the factory where I am based very shortly! Luckily, I met the love of my life very early on who is a United States Citizen and we are getting married soon

My question is regarding the I-765 form and processing times. I know there are a multitude of forms we need to send to immigration to change my status so I can live here permanently (green card), but does anyone know how long it is taking to process an I-765 at the moment? Or if possible, how to speed up this process? As when I lose my job, I will not be able to work for any other company until I receive this.

I have visited the "egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/" website and see that the processing times vary dependent on where you send your forms. Does this mean I can send my form to any one of these field offices/service centers or is it based on where I am in the States? It also goes into more detail about estimated time range and states "Based on a pending I-485 adjustment application" is this the time that is relevant to my application?

Obviously, I appreciated anyone who takes the time to help, I have searched the forum and tried to find someone in a similar situation but couldn't find a similar scenario. I would also like to thank every poster as the information here is invaluable and helped me prepare for a successful L1B visa application.
Old Oct 26th 2021, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: L1B Visa to Green Card via marrying a USC - I-765 Processing times?

Friend in LA filed in January, EAD last month GC approved this month.

YMMV

Old Oct 26th 2021, 11:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You have no choice in service centers.

BTW you can file online and it appears to be a quickly way to go.
Can I file I-130 and I-485 together online?
The Petition for Alien Relative, Form I-130, and the Application to Register Permanent Residence, Form I-485, may be filed concurrently if you are already in the U.S. and meet certain eligibility guidelines.

How To Concurrently File I-130 And I-485? (Updated 2020)

At the same time you will file for Advance Parole (I-131) and Employment Authorization Document (I-765)

Length of time to wait for EAD will vary from day to day ... 30 to 160 days.
Old Oct 27th 2021, 4:16 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in practice, immigration lawyers would note the two most common questions from clients were 1) how long? and 2) where is my work permit? Although these are perfectly reasonable questions the answers are often indeterminate.

I would often give by way of example two family visa petitions I filed back in the late 70’s for identical twins sisters. One was approved in 21 days, the other took 9 months. So, “YMMV” almost always applies.

It should be noted that the earlier an application is filed, generally the sooner it should be adjudicated.

Good luck.
Old Nov 4th 2021, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for the advice, I thought applying online may be the quickest way but everything I read seemed to say the opposite! It was hard finding post covid information as travel has ultimately been put to a stop, so I assume less people will be getting into similar situations! I will keep doing some more digging and looking for more information. We are hoping to put the application in sometime within the next few weeks so we still have a some time, but obviously there does seem quite a lot of information needed and we want to get it right first time!

I appreciate everyone's replies!
Old Nov 4th 2021, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for this information, do you know if I will need to file any of the following documents? I have read conflicting information.

i693
i864 or i944?

I will look at applying online if that maybe the quickest route. If the EAD time frame is 30 - 160 days then that is good news! I was reading as long as a year and fearing the worst when looking at the limited savings I have and not being able to work! Money seems to disappear very quickly in the USA!

Thank you
Old Nov 4th 2021, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

You will need a medical and be sponsored for a GC.

People I know EAD without Expedite is about 8 months, seen both shorter and longer. They could of course speed up but not sure it will be that quick. Well unless there is a major structual change.
Old Nov 4th 2021, 7:16 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonathanUK
Thank you so much for this information, do you know if I will need to file any of the following documents? I have read conflicting information.

i693
i864 or i944?

I will look at applying online if that maybe the quickest route. If the EAD time frame is 30 - 160 days then that is good news! I was reading as long as a year and fearing the worst when looking at the limited savings I have and not being able to work! Money seems to disappear very quickly in the USA!

Thank you
The I-693 is completed by the panel physician and is provided to the non-citizen applicant with warnings not to open the envelope. I recall that some clients would request a photocopy and perhaps get it. It should be noted that most of the adverse medical conditions immigration wise also require the physician to advise the applicant (e.g. if one has an infectious disease which needs treatment).

Last time I looked, filing of the completed medical with the initial filing was optional. The exam result would be requested by RFE or produced at the interview. Do note that the exam result is valid for only one year. (You may see obsolete information that a clear medical could have its validity extended). It had become conventional wisdom to presume that the case will not be concluded within a year.

BTW, a past alcohol related conviction (e.g. DUI or “wet reckless”) will raise questions of one is a drug abuser.

The I-864 is the affidavit of support. That form always gave me headaches since it’s inception in 1997.
Old Nov 4th 2021, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

You can take the Medical to the interview if you want.
Old Nov 6th 2021, 9:25 pm
BE Commentator

BTW, I’ve seen online discussions suggesting that unauthorized employment during the pendency of an immediate relative adjust application is a “no harm, no foul” situation. Word of warning: false statement on an I-9 form is considered immigration fraud which does NOT fall in the no harm no foul category.
Old Nov 8th 2021, 2:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
BTW, I’ve seen online discussions suggesting that unauthorized employment during the pendency of an immediate relative adjust application is a “no harm, no foul” situation. Word of warning: false statement on an I-9 form is considered immigration fraud which does NOT fall in the no harm no foul category.
I can attest to personal knowledge of this.
Old Apr 8th 2022, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

To update anybody that maybe in a similar situation. Here is mytimeline so far:

13.1.22 - Documents received by USCIS
11.3.22 - Bio-metrics Appointment
18.3.22 - EAD received

My Bio-metric appointment came faster than I thought and it was 2 blocks away from where I live, so i was really happy about that! To my surprise I received my authorization to work card promptly after, I was thinking this would be more like 6 months not 3, so very, very happy with the process so far! Does this mean I can now look for jobs elsewhere or do I have to wait 180 days from when the documents were received by the USCIS?

I have tried to find the answer to this but I have seen conflicting information on forums, most AOS seem to be with a workplace sponsor and say you should stay with your company until you receive your Green Card. However, I am applying for an AOS through marrying a US Citizen, so is this different? I was brought to the US on a low salary compared to my work colleagues and since then the cost of living has increased significantly without a pay raise in sight! Many of my colleagues have left so my work load has increased considerably without any reward. It would be great to be able to look at other options as soon as I could or at least have the ability to ask for a pay rise knowing I can look elsewhere!

Once again any help is appreciated
Thanks!
Old Apr 9th 2022, 3:05 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You can work anywhere you want once you have your EAD in hand.

Rene
Old Apr 10th 2022, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Anenglishrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Just read your thread and wanted to ask did you send in your completed paperwork or did you file online for AOS. I’m just about to submit my AOS but trying to figure out if I should submit online or mail the papers.