Reload this Page >

To use an Immigration Lawyer or not

To use an Immigration Lawyer or not

Old May 23rd 2018, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Wirksworth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To use an Immigration Lawyer or not

Dear All,
we have decided to go down the K-1 route for several reasons. I have contacted an Immigration Lawyer in Kansas City where my Fiance lives and was quoted $3500 for the I129/ K-1 application. This both seems step for form filling and also doesn't cover the AOS.

I have in my time done a lot of form filling so wanted to get advice as to if it is really beneficial to have help and if so who have people used at what cost ?

Thanks in advance James
Old May 23rd 2018, 2:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To use an Immigration Lawyer or not

If you have no criminal past or prior immigration issues, you don't need a lawyer. If you are detail oriented, can follow written instructions, and have patience, you can do this on your own.

Rene
Old May 23rd 2018, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll do it for $3499.

As Rene said, if your case isn't complicated it's a complete waste of money, and more often than not I see threads on here where a lawyer has f****d something up and has caused further delay.

I was debating using a lawyer back when me and my wife started our K1 journey, glad we didn't as we put that money towards being able to buy/get things setup when I moved.
Old May 23rd 2018, 4:27 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wirksworth
Dear All,
we have decided to go down the K-1 route for several reasons. I have contacted an Immigration Lawyer in Kansas City where my Fiance lives and was quoted $3500 for the I129/ K-1 application. This both seems step for form filling and also doesn't cover the AOS.

I have in my time done a lot of form filling so wanted to get advice as to if it is really beneficial to have help and if so who have people used at what cost ?

Thanks in advance James
Whether or not to hire an attorney is a choice personal to you and your fiance. There is an ethos in these forums of DIY [do it yourself]. As noted, absent complicating factors, many people do this just fine.
vance.

<<<SNIP>>>

Good luck.

[I'm retired but do volunteer work at the Los Angeles County Bar Immigration Legal Assistance Clinic. Yesterday, a very nice woman and her current husband came in to do a "I-751 waiver" application. I did one prophylactic inquiry and referred them to private lawyer with "see her within no more than two days." But the complication in that case is on the rare side. I bring this up, because the complication was not obvious. My knowledge and experience prompted the prophylactic inquiry.]

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 24th 2018 at 3:55 am.
Old May 24th 2018, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

BigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
I'll do it for $3499.

As Rene said, if your case isn't complicated it's a complete waste of money, and more often than not I see threads on here where a lawyer has f****d something up and has caused further delay.

I was debating using a lawyer back when me and my wife started our K1 journey, glad we didn't as we put that money towards being able to buy/get things setup when I moved.
Yeah, I'm that guy!

My attorney has f****d something up and has caused further delay I am 16 months deep into problems and still not even at the NVC stage, don't waste your money... Do your own research (I wish I did) there's enough info on forums, YouTube etc.
Old May 25th 2018, 3:05 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Personal choice whether to use a lawyer or not. I'm wary of making sweeping statements such as "if you don't have a criminal past or prior immigration infractions you don't need a lawyer" as it's not always as simple as that and it's not for us to say who needs a lawyer and who doesn't. That said, the vast majority get through this process without one. We went through the U.K. immigration process for my husband as our first choice was to live in the U.K. but we were denied. That is far more complex than the process we went through for me to move here. The forms are in English and they don't ask you any questions to which you don't know the answers. It's not an advanced calculus exam - more like a cross between a passport application and a job application and full of the usual questions (name, date and place of birth, father's name, work history, etc).
Old May 25th 2018, 6:38 pm
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wirksworth
Dear All,

Thanks in advance James
Unrelated note, I'm a Brit in the KC area. When you are successful in moving over hit get in touch! Good luck!!
Old May 25th 2018, 7:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michaelr711
Unrelated note, I'm a Brit in the KC area. When you are successful in moving over hit get in touch! Good luck!!
The OP has few posts here but has he mentioned which Kansas City his fiancée is residing in? I know you are in Missouri and wonder if he is in Missouri or Kansas. Would be great to have an expat close by for meet ups and pub nights.
Old May 25th 2018, 7:58 pm
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
The OP has few posts here but has he mentioned which Kansas City his fiancée is residing in? I know you are in Missouri and wonder if he is in Missouri or Kansas. Would be great to have an expat close by for meet ups and pub nights.
I live 15 mins from KCMO and about 20 from KCK...so either way!!
Old May 26th 2018, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you have no criminal past or prior immigration issues, you don't need a lawyer. If you are detail oriented, can follow written instructions, and have patience, you can do this on your own.

Rene
...And even if you're not detail orientated or able to follow written instructions you'll still have to find the relevant documents, evidence and quite possibly fill in all the paperwork. There is nothing to stop you from hiring a professional if you hit a brick wall.
As for patience you'll be needing plenty of that regardless of your situation.