Unique question

Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unique question

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
My dear Ian: Don't misquote me. It was a in-house State Department joke, not USCIS. The ranking was Low Fraud, Medium Fraud, High Fraud, Lagos. DOS would have "training posts" for various issues. For example, crime issues were within the expertise of Moscow; fraud within the expertise of Lagos.

That said, Lagos does, in fact, issue visas. I have not completed the thread yet. I wonder if OP has consulted about "TCN" issues?

Furthermore, deponent sayeth not.
Consulted with... who? Whom? I always get that one wrong because 'whom' sounds so fussy to me.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Consulted with... who? Whom? I always get that one wrong because 'whom' sounds so fussy to me.
hehehe...in this case..."whom". The trick is to answer the question and see if you should use "he" or "him".

Consulted with who(m)?
I consulted with him.
I consulted with he.

If you can answer "him", use "whom" (they both end in "m").
If you can answer "he", use "who" (no "m" at all).

/end grammar lesson

Rene
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:47 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

You beat my revision. Actually, consult with anyone. Also, there is a general warning to be aware of "deceptively simple" questions.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:48 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
hehehe...in this case..."whom". The trick is to answer the question and see if you should use "he" or "him".

Consulted with who(m)?
I consulted with him.
I consulted with he.

/end grammar lesson

Rene
Totally and utterly OT: "Who is on first."

Last edited by S Folinsky; Mar 30th 2011 at 6:51 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Totally and utterly OT: "Who is on first."
More OT: If "who(m)" is the subject, use "he". If "who(m)" is the object, use "him".

Rene
Old Mar 30th 2011, 7:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Consulted with who(m)?
I consulted with him.
I consulted with he.

/end grammar lesson

Rene
That might just stick! Just what I needed (as usual, when it comes to you) . Thanks!
Old Mar 30th 2011, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

NigeriaAmerican is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for your replies...the nigerian fraud jokes aside, i will just go ahead as planned. Her address is still UK, she still gets her mail there and she is returning there and if asked there is nothing to hide, she can say do you want my UK or Nigerian address...for mail correspondence, we will keep it UK since her passport says her Nigerian address either way.....

No one is defrauding any one, we will just have documents to back it up. I emailed the consulate and they said to come back to london and send it...so...i don't want a headache over this anymore....
Old Mar 30th 2011, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

IR1 alumni is an unknown quantity at this point

Ian, I don't think the State Department publicizes all refusal rates, but Nigerian B visa (business/tourism) applicants in 2010 suffered 'only' a 33.7% refusal rate. http://travel.state.gov/pdf/FY10.pdf

It could well be that K applicants are more commonly refused.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 8:37 pm

I don't think anyone here was joking about it; the Nigeria factor is something you do have to consider. Thank the people who have come before you.

Maybe you haven't looked at the application forms but they frequently ask for a residence address (your address) and a mailing address. One doesn't necessarily live at their mailing address, so that reasoning is faulty.

The form questions should be answered accurately.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

NigeriaAmerican is an unknown quantity at this point

well in that case the only two places where they ask for address is DS230 and DS156.....230 says present address (inclined to put UK) 156 says Home address...(UK or Lagos?)...considering on the forms all filled out in the start have all been UK addy since she was attending school there at the time
Old Mar 30th 2011, 8:50 pm

Look, where she lived when the first petition form was filled out has NO bearing on today. People do move. It is OK to have a different address now. Her home is clearly in Lagos.
That said, it appears that London WILL take her case. Why screw it up trying to be funny with the details.

Anyway, I think everyone has said what they have to say on this. The choice is your fiancee's to make. Good luck and let us know if you learn anything new or get a result.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by NigeriaAmerican
well in that case the only two places where they ask for address is DS230 and DS156.....230 says present address (inclined to put UK) 156 says Home address...(UK or Lagos?)...considering on the forms all filled out in the start have all been UK addy since she was attending school there at the time
Her situation *today* is different than it was when she was a student in the UK. That's just a fact.

She lives in Nigeria.
Her permanent address is in Nigeria.
Her home address is in Nigeria.

She will be a visitor in the UK.
Her UK address is a mailing address only, has nothing to do with where she lives.

Present address = Nigeria
Home address = Nigeria
Mailing address = UK

Fill out the forms honestly, knowing that her permanent home is Nigeria, and that she currently lives in Nigeria. If a form asks for a resident address, it's Nigeria. If it asks for a mailing address, you can use UK.

You can also put "see attached" wherever you see a spot on the form asking for "address". Then you can put your brief explanation on a separate sheet of paper, saying that when you began this process, she was a student in the UK at <UK address>. She has since completed her studies and returned home to Nigeria at <Nigerian address>. She has been given the opportunity to return to the UK for visa processing, so she continues to use <UK address> as her mailing address only.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Mar 30th 2011 at 8:56 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 8:54 pm

Anyway, I think everyone has said what they have to say on this.
LOL, looks like I had a bit more to say...

Rene
Old Mar 30th 2011, 8:55 pm

LOL, looks like I had a bit more to say...

Rene
I was presumptuous.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 5:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You will see that fraud line about Lagos all over the Internet.

United years ago ago used to be next to Air Nigeria at Heathrow, I was always amazed about the amount of luggage piled high.

I do not know what they will say, usually they would not deal with someone on a Visitor Visa in London, the logical situation would have been to have the papers transferred when she left.