Reload this Page >

UK citizen wants to marry US citizen in Kentucky

UK citizen wants to marry US citizen in Kentucky

Old Jul 18th 2019, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Pepperpotomous is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK citizen wants to marry US citizen in Kentucky

Hello all,

first time poster, I’m wanting to marry my US boyfriend in Kentucky, I’m a UK citizen. We currently live apart and next year we will hopefully be living together in the UK. He has proposed and we want to get married in Newport Kentucky in November at the court house. I will only be staying in the US for a week during the marriage then have to fly home for work.
Am I able to do this on a ETSA visa? Do I have to apply for specific requirements in order to marry in the courthouse?
ive looked online and I’m confused, if anyone has any experience or can offer information I’d be massively grateful.

thanks!!
Old Jul 18th 2019, 7:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizen wants to marry US citizen in Kentucky

Yes, you can marry in the USA on the VWP., as long as you don't intend to remain in the USA and adjust status (which you are not, so no problem). No special requirements.

Rene
Old Jul 18th 2019, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Thank you! Is it a case of just going to the courthouse on the day or do I need to book an appointment? Sorry if this is a stupid question
Old Jul 18th 2019, 7:26 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pepperpotomous
Thank you! Is it a case of just going to the courthouse on the day or do I need to book an appointment? Sorry if this is a stupid question
Not stupid at all! But as he lives there, why doesn't he either give them a call or drop in and find out what has to be done. Congratulations and good luck.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Ha you’re right I should get him to do some leg work!
thanks I’m excited and appreciate your kind words have a boss week!!
Old Jul 18th 2019, 7:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pepperpotomous
Each state and/or county is different. You can Google the requirements in the county where he lives.

Rene
Old Jul 18th 2019, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations OP! When you enter the USA and the CBP officer asks you what you're in the United States for, let the officer know that you're planning to get married to your fiance and then return to the UK to start the immigration paperwork. I would be sure to bring a print out of your return flight information and some other evidence that you will get married and then return to the UK. You could show a lease agreement for the flat/house you live in in the UK (if applicable) or something similar. You just want to be sure that the officer won't see you as a risk for overstaying in the USA.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 9:14 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cautiousjon
Congratulations OP! When you enter the USA and the CBP officer asks you what you're in the United States for, let the officer know that you're planning to get married to your fiance and then return to the UK to start the immigration paperwork. I would be sure to bring a print out of your return flight information and some other evidence that you will get married and then return to the UK. You could show a lease agreement for the flat/house you live in in the UK (if applicable) or something similar. You just want to be sure that the officer won't see you as a risk for overstaying in the USA.
The OP said that the married couple plan to live in the UK. And she should answer all questions honestly, but not volunteer any information that is not requested.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger

The OP said that the married couple plan to live in the UK. And she should answer all questions honestly, but not volunteer any information that is not requested.
You're right. My mistake.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger

Indeed. Don't be a jerk, but certainly don't explain things when not necessary.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

I live right next to Newport. What county does he live in? We are in Kenton county and had to visit the clerk in Independence (about 20 minutes south) for our marriage license. Newport is where we legally got married however. Campbell county is Newport which is within pissing distance of Kenton County. I don't believe courthouse weddings are an option and you must do so through a JP.

You will file with the field office in Louisville (2 hours south), not Cincinnati even though you can see the field office from Newport. The process costs around $2000 for having you return to the US as a spouse.

Feel free to get in touch if you'd like any further info on things in this area; In honesty if I had to move elsewhere, I would...

There is a large Scottish community here but I've only ever met two English folks in my three years here, both happened to live on my street! What is your profession? There are a LOT of entry level jobs here, this area is considered the Silicon Valley of the mid-west at the moment.

Last edited by notaclue; Jul 19th 2019 at 2:18 am.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 3:15 am

notaclue.... the OP is not going to immigrate to the USA.

Rene
Old Jul 19th 2019, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Wow!! Thank you all so much for the help!
He lives in Newport so that’s we’re we were planning on tying the knot close to his family and friends but I shall be returning to the UK Afterwards, the information about the JP is much needed that you I’ll definitely be in touch if that’s ok.
ladies and gentlemen thank you again your help is fantastic this is all so overwhelming and needs a lot of planning and money and you’ve helped put my mind at rest!

soph
Old Jul 19th 2019, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
notaclue.... the OP is not going to immigrate to the USA.

Rene
Ah I thought they were returning here after the paperwork is done!
Old Jul 19th 2019, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by notaclue
Ah I thought they were returning here after the paperwork is done!
In the first post, she says they hope to be living together in the UK next year.

Rene