Two AOS interviews?

Old Apr 26th 2006, 5:02 am
Just Joined

mathewjames is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Two AOS interviews?

My Wife and I had my Adjustment of Status interview last August 31st. It wasn't the greatest of interviews and at the end the guy - who kept asking us about family and church!? - said he wanted more doccumentation. We had a 30 day window in which to submit more documentation regarding our marriage and living together etc etc etc. Which we did. We have done all of this through our lawyer, every piece of documentation has gone via him and we have copies of everything - he has been a great lawyer so far. really helpful.
So after we submitted everything within the time window alotted by the delinquency letter our lawyer then sent email after email after email to USCIS here in San Francisco asking if they needed anything else, or anything needed further. Nothing. Months have gone by and we get a letter that is basically ANOTHER adjustment of status interview??? This appointment is on may 16th. According to our lawyer this is obviously some mistake on the immigration office's part here in SF and that things this time should be really straight forward. I mean they are basically giving us two identical AOS interviews when you only have one, according to my lawyer, to get your passport stamped and your temp g.c issued etc etc.

Has anyone else undergone this craptacluar red tape of hearing nothing for months and then getting duplicate appointments for stuff you have already done? my wife is very nervous [she is the USC ] that we are being recalled as part of some witch hunt type affair, or some grand inquisition.

any advice you guys can give?

Thanks for a great site, all the best to you all making your dreams over here !
Old Apr 26th 2006, 12:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two AOS interviews?

It is a not usual occurrence but I agree with your attorney that this is a good thing.

You've been through the AOS interview before so you are fully aware of what the interview is like. This time around you will go armed to the teeth with all the information that is required including the additional information asked for the first time around. Make sure you bring the latest tax returns (2005), updated proofs of validity of marriage. Bring your attorney with you. If you have to pay him extra for the service, do so. Better to have him with you to ease your minds and grease the way.

Good luck.

Rete

Originally Posted by mathewjames
My Wife and I had my Adjustment of Status interview last August 31st. It wasn't the greatest of interviews and at the end the guy - who kept asking us about family and church!? - said he wanted more doccumentation. We had a 30 day window in which to submit more documentation regarding our marriage and living together etc etc etc. Which we did. We have done all of this through our lawyer, every piece of documentation has gone via him and we have copies of everything - he has been a great lawyer so far. really helpful.
So after we submitted everything within the time window alotted by the delinquency letter our lawyer then sent email after email after email to USCIS here in San Francisco asking if they needed anything else, or anything needed further. Nothing. Months have gone by and we get a letter that is basically ANOTHER adjustment of status interview??? This appointment is on may 16th. According to our lawyer this is obviously some mistake on the immigration office's part here in SF and that things this time should be really straight forward. I mean they are basically giving us two identical AOS interviews when you only have one, according to my lawyer, to get your passport stamped and your temp g.c issued etc etc.

Has anyone else undergone this craptacluar red tape of hearing nothing for months and then getting duplicate appointments for stuff you have already done? my wife is very nervous [she is the USC ] that we are being recalled as part of some witch hunt type affair, or some grand inquisition.

any advice you guys can give?

Thanks for a great site, all the best to you all making your dreams over here !
Old Apr 26th 2006, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
It is a not usual occurrence but I agree with your attorney that this is a good thing.

You've been through the AOS interview before so you are fully aware of what the interview is like. This time around you will go armed to the teeth with all the information that is required including the additional information asked for the first time around. Make sure you bring the latest tax returns (2005), updated proofs of validity of marriage. Bring your attorney with you. If you have to pay him extra for the service, do so. Better to have him with you to ease your minds and grease the way.

Good luck.

Rete

well I suppose "something" is happening, good or bad. We can't not miss the interview since obviously that would be abandonment and just a really dumb idea. What is strange that the letter of appointment this time around mentions affidavits, the last one didn't, as part of the stuff to bring. The rest of the wording is pretty much the same...bills, statements, docs. etc. Since my wife is estranged from her family we are taking a bunch of affidavits from people that have known us since we got married. Hoping that will be ok.
Does anyone know if we will probably get the same person as last time interviewing us? or do they basically just walk up to the desk and grab a random file each time so your District Adjudications Officer changes each time you meet?

Its very annoying since we basically want to get on with our lives and start looking for a place to buy but feel thats dumb since we are still in "limbo" at the moment.

Thanks everyone!
Old Apr 26th 2006, 2:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Normally the DAO with your file is the one you will see. If you see someone else it is because either your file has been transferred to someone else, or that the DAO you were assigned to is on sick leave, vacation or whatever.

As for the affidavits, they need not be from family. Friends are good. Be sure that the affidavits mentions how long they have known you as a couple and a specific instance in which they were with you as a couple.

Rete

PS Buying a house can be done without your being a PR.

PPS Are you from a country that USCIS has had problems with in regards to fraudulent marriages?

well I suppose "something" is happening, good or bad. We can't not miss the interview since obviously that would be abandonment and just a really dumb idea. What is strange that the letter of appointment this time around mentions affidavits, the last one didn't, as part of the stuff to bring. The rest of the wording is pretty much the same...bills, statements, docs. etc. Since my wife is estranged from her family we are taking a bunch of affidavits from people that have known us since we got married. Hoping that will be ok.
Does anyone know if we will probably get the same person as last time interviewing us? or do they basically just walk up to the desk and grab a random file each time so your District Adjudications Officer changes each time you meet?

Its very annoying since we basically want to get on with our lives and start looking for a place to buy but feel thats dumb since we are still in "limbo" at the moment.

Thanks everyone!
Old Apr 26th 2006, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Normally the DAO with your file is the one you will see. If you see someone else it is because either your file has been transferred to someone else, or that the DAO you were assigned to is on sick leave, vacation or whatever.

As for the affidavits, they need not be from family. Friends are good. Be sure that the affidavits mentions how long they have known you as a couple and a specific instance in which they were with you as a couple.

Rete

PS Buying a house can be done without your being a PR.

PPS Are you from a country that USCIS has had problems with in regards to fraudulent marriages?
No I am from the United Kingdom.
So I guess we can expect to be interviewed by the same jack-ass we were last time then...great lol.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 3:34 pm
Concierge

No I am from the United Kingdom.
So I guess we can expect to be interviewed by the same jack-ass we were last time then...great lol.

curious what you answered when asked about church?

I know I would have said something along the lines of: "I wasn't aware there was a law in the US that said I have to belong to a formal religious institution. Since there apparently is since you asked that question, what domination would you suggest I join on the morrow?"
Old May 4th 2006, 3:55 am
Just Joined

curious what you answered when asked about church?

I know I would have said something along the lines of: "I wasn't aware there was a law in the US that said I have to belong to a formal religious institution. Since there apparently is since you asked that question, what domination would you suggest I join on the morrow?"

He just asked us why we didn't get married in a church....
to be honest this whole lack of communication and mess on their part has taken a toll on my wife and our marriage so much so that she feels physically sick at the thought of a second demonic interview... obviously i have no idea what to do about the situation and part of me wonders if i cant just show up with my attorney and all the paperwork and talk to the DOA and mention that we have already have said AOS interview and I am comming along so we don't just abandon it but my wife is too stressed and sick to come...being that we ALREADY submitted the EXTRA paperwork he asked for last november and then heard nothing at all, and then recieved a letter that was in all respects AOS interview 2, as though there had never been a first one...with two weeks to go [interview is on may 16th] i am at a loose end...she pretty much told me she feels incapable of doing this again and the subject is something we are not dealing too well with as a newly married couple... if we don't go its classed as abandoned and i may aswell let all my hopes and dremas die, if we do go she is so sick and stressed we will look like some sham fraud marriage from hell!!! i can't very well drag her kicking and screaming can i? all i can do is hope that i can go with my attorney and explain to the DOA that there appears to have been some major eff-up and here is all our more than extra substantiating paperwork!!!

ugh.
Old May 4th 2006, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

i have no idea what to do about the situation and part of me wonders if i cant just show up with my attorney and all the paperwork and talk to the DOA and mention that we have already have said AOS interview and I am comming along so we don't just abandon it but my wife is too stressed and sick to come.
Your wife must go if you are to have any success at all here. Take your lawyer! If your wife doesn't attend, you may as well pack your bags... sorry, immigration is not for the feint of heart! She needs to decide what is more important to her.

Ian
Old May 4th 2006, 1:08 pm
Concierge

Have to agree with Ian and add that if your wife does not go, she will have to deal with the USCIS many more times in the future years to come when you are scheduled for removal and she attempts to have it corrected. Comes down to which is greater: Her love for you or her fear of the CIS interrogation.

Now put on the charm and promise her a lovely weekend away somewhere romantic and quiet to soothe her nerves when this is all over with.

He just asked us why we didn't get married in a church....
to be honest this whole lack of communication and mess on their part has taken a toll on my wife and our marriage so much so that she feels physically sick at the thought of a second demonic interview... obviously i have no idea what to do about the situation and part of me wonders if i cant just show up with my attorney and all the paperwork and talk to the DOA and mention that we have already have said AOS interview and I am comming along so we don't just abandon it but my wife is too stressed and sick to come...being that we ALREADY submitted the EXTRA paperwork he asked for last november and then heard nothing at all, and then recieved a letter that was in all respects AOS interview 2, as though there had never been a first one...with two weeks to go [interview is on may 16th] i am at a loose end...she pretty much told me she feels incapable of doing this again and the subject is something we are not dealing too well with as a newly married couple... if we don't go its classed as abandoned and i may aswell let all my hopes and dremas die, if we do go she is so sick and stressed we will look like some sham fraud marriage from hell!!! i can't very well drag her kicking and screaming can i? all i can do is hope that i can go with my attorney and explain to the DOA that there appears to have been some major eff-up and here is all our more than extra substantiating paperwork!!!

ugh.