Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Told approved...then heard nothing...no stamp..nearly 6 months..Please Help...

Told approved...then heard nothing...no stamp..nearly 6 months..Please Help...

Old Jun 5th 2004, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Told approved...then heard nothing...no stamp..nearly 6 months..Please Help...

Originally posted by Smarty Woohoo
I
am thinking of just letting them drag their heels and delay all they
like because our 2 year anniversary will be in December. But I guess
the gamble is if they call me in sometime between now and December and
having to wait a full two years to become Permanent!!!
What is the two year thing? What significance does it have? Can someone explain this please?
Old Jun 5th 2004, 8:27 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Told approved...then heard nothing...no stamp..nearly 6 months..Please Help...

Originally posted by Smarty Woohoo
So back to the original question.....If they have not done the
background check by our 2nd wedding aniversary, will I be intitled to get my 10 year green card? (after the all clear of course)
Not quite... if at the time of actual approval (security checks all back) AND at the date you have been married 2 years then you will get 10yr GC
Old Jun 5th 2004, 8:29 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by andrea874
What is the two year thing? What significance does it have? Can someone explain this please?
Hi Andrea.. do you understand it now...
Old Jun 5th 2004, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ray6
Hi Andrea.. do you understand it now...

ray, not really... this is the first ive heard of the 2 year thing. im pretty lost with all this stuff at the moment... totally overwhelmed so i'm not sure what the 2 year thing is... just if youve been married 2 years when you get approved you get a greencard thats valid for longer, or what?
Old Jun 5th 2004, 8:54 pm
Ray

ray, not really... this is the first ive heard of the 2 year thing. im pretty lost with all this stuff at the moment... totally overwhelmed so i'm not sure what the 2 year thing is... just if youve been married 2 years when you get approved you get a greencard thats valid for longer, or what?
ok !! give me your timeline and where you at.... at this time in the system
Old Jun 5th 2004, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

ok !! give me your timeline and where you at.... at this time in the system

our timeline is nonexistant
we're finishing up filling out the i-130 and i-485, and the other related forms for AOS.
im just curious about the 2 year thing

by the way thanks for all the info youve given me in the past couple of days on here, its truly appreciated
Old Jun 5th 2004, 9:06 pm
Ray

our timeline is nonexistant
we're finishing up filling out the i-130 and i-485, and the other related forms for AOS. im just curious about the 2 year thing
by the way thanks for all the info youve given me in the past couple of days on here, its truly appreciated
Ok.. you came over and married on a visa waiver then...I will make up a quick scenario for you..

Married jan 1 2004
file for AOS 15th april 2005
get interview July 1 2006
pass interview passport stamped
get 2 year conditional GC. after 2 years file for removal of condition may or may not need another interview get 10 yr GC
OR
Married jan 1 2004
no stamp as security checks not come back
feb 2 2007 security checks back..approval made
you have been married over 2 year so straight into 10yr GC
Old Jun 5th 2004, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ok.. you came over and married on a visa waiver then...I will make up a quick scenario for you..

Married jan 1 2004
pass interview passport stamped
get 2 year conditional GC. after 2 years file for removal of condition may or may not need another interview get 10 yr GC
OR
Married jan 1 2004
no stamp as security checks not come back
feb 2 2007 security checks back..approval made
you have been married over 2 year so straight into 10yr GC

ooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... okay. got it. makes perfect sense. thanks again.
Old Jun 5th 2004, 9:13 pm
Ray

ooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... okay. got it. makes perfect sense. thanks again.
My pleasure ..good luck with the forms
Old Jun 5th 2004, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

My pleasure ..good luck with the forms

thanks. i think we have it all figured out with 2 exceptions, which no one on here seems to be able or willing to answer
Old Jun 5th 2004, 9:17 pm
Ray

thanks. i think we have it all figured out with 2 exceptions, which no one on here seems to be able or willing to answer
come on then try me !!!!
Old Jun 5th 2004, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

come on then try me !!!!

haha
well, the first 2 questions have to do with the i-485
1) i entered the US from canada just visiting, and we ended up getting married. so what do i put where it asks what my current ins status is and when it expires? i'm thinking just "visitor" and "n/a" or something?

2) there is a question asking if i have ever been arrested before. i have, but i was a minor in canada -- supposedly all record of that is destroyed once you turn 18. do i still have to write that it happened?

the other question is about the affidavit of support.
-must a joint sponser be a CURRENT RESIDENT of the US? the person we are thinking of using is a US CITIZEN but they reside outside of the country, currently. theres nothing in the instructions that say they must be a resident... just proof of citizenship...
Old Jun 5th 2004, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

haha
well, the first 2 questions have to do with the i-485
1) i entered the US from canada just visiting, and we ended up getting married. so what do i put where it asks what my current ins status is and when it expires? i'm thinking just "visitor" and "n/a" or something?

2) there is a question asking if i have ever been arrested before. i have, but i was a minor in canada -- supposedly all record of that is destroyed once you turn 18. do i still have to write that it happened?

the other question is about the affidavit of support.
-must a joint sponser be a CURRENT RESIDENT of the US? the person we are thinking of using is a US CITIZEN but they reside outside of the country, currently. theres nothing in the instructions that say they must be a resident... just proof of citizenship...
it should also be noted that on my one arrest, i got an absolute discharge which = no criminal record anyway. i just dont know if i still need to state that i was arrested
Old Jun 5th 2004, 9:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

andrea, all of your questions have been answered here many times before. Have *you* been able or willing to do the research? I know you've been reading posts here but I certainly recommend this site: http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/legpermres.htm the group FAQ housed at visajourney.com and using the search feature at groups.google.com before you go crazy.

Keep in mind that most people read/post to the group during the work week and this is Saturday: we are not on staff today. You've waited since the first of the year to file your paperwork; how fair is it to expect others to rush to your aid on a slow traffic day?
If the above doesn't seem 'helpful' enough, I'll add this: answer the questions on the forms truthfully. If the question is "have you ever been arrested' then answer that question. You'll have your opportunity to explain the outcome at some point.

My favorite reminder on this topic is from Folinskyinla. I'll paraphrase: "if asked 'do you know what time it is' there are only 2 correct answers - yes or no."
Get it?
best,
meauxna
Old Jun 5th 2004, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by meauxna
andrea, all of your questions have been answered here many times before. Have *you* been able or willing to do the research? I know you've been reading posts here but I certainly recommend this site: http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/legpermres.htm the group FAQ housed at visajourney.com and using the search feature at groups.google.com before you go crazy.

Keep in mind that most people read/post to the group during the work week and this is Saturday: we are not on staff today. You've waited since the first of the year to file your paperwork; how fair is it to expect others to rush to your aid on a slow traffic day?
If the above doesn't seem 'helpful' enough, I'll add this: answer the questions on the forms truthfully. If the question is "have you ever been arrested' then answer that question. You'll have your opportunity to explain the outcome at some point.

My favorite reminder on this topic is from Folinskyinla. I'll paraphrase: "if asked 'do you know what time it is' there are only 2 correct answers - yes or no."
Get it?
best,
meauxna

hi there
i wasn't complaining or being angry about not getting an answer here - i apologize if you or anyone else interpreted it that way..i was not "going crazy" at all here. im not sure where you got that impression from, but again, i apologize for coming across that way.
in any case, i have researched this a little.. admittedly, not enough (obviously) and am using this board as another tool in that research. thanks for your help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.