British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Told approved...then heard nothing...no stamp..nearly 6 months..Please Help... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/told-approved-then-heard-nothing-no-stamp-nearly-6-months-please-help-234195/)

Smarty Woohoo Jun 3rd 2004 4:44 am

Told approved...then heard nothing...no stamp..nearly 6 months..Please Help...

Hi All,
We had our first AOS interview in January; It went well (apparently!!)
we were told by the officer that we will be approved if the background
checks come back OK and not to worry, the dude even told us we were a
nice couple!! He did ask that we send in copies of the photos we
brought and a copy of our joint gym membership.

Well its been 5 months since the interview and I have heard nothing!
Last week I made "a walk in" appointment so I could get some sort of
evidence that I was legal (so I could get my drivers license)…Well the
officer (different) told me I wasn't approved yet and to come back in
1 month and ask for the original person who interview us (don't
remember!) to find out my status!!!

I get a funny feeling that if I do not act then nothing will happen? I
am thinking of just letting them drag their heels and delay all they
like because our 2 year anniversary will be in December. But I guess
the gamble is if they call me in sometime between now and December and
having to wait a full two years to become Permanent!!!

Anyone had similar experience with this at Los Angeles??

Ray Jun 3rd 2004 6:22 am

Re: Told approved...then heard nothing...no stamp..nearly 6 months..Please Help...

Thats too bad of a wait so far...I think its poster Margaret who hold the current record of 17 months waiting.. it just seems some people's security checks take an incredible time... and other just sail thru... of course Margaret need about another month and she will get her 10 year GC... place your bets....

PEACHSTER Jun 3rd 2004 3:50 pm

Re: Told approved...then heard nothing...no stamp..nearly 6 months..Please Help...

Originally posted by ray6
Thats too bad of a wait so far...I think its poster Margaret who hold the current record of 17 months waiting.. it just seems some people's security checks take an incredible time... and other just sail thru... of course Margaret need about another month and she will get her 10 year GC... place your bets....
Holy cow 17 months!!!!!

When I was at my district office yesturday there was a memo regarding AOS about it taking awhile before you find out if your approved & or getting your green card. The reason for this is there behind on background checks. I guess more district offices are getting behind with AOS stuff.

Margaret Jun 3rd 2004 9:49 pm

Yup I'm the one who has been waiting for now over 17 months. This
after having gotten re-fingerprinted about a month ago.

Robert_J Jun 3rd 2004 10:21 pm

16 months here....(since "successful" interview).

PEACHSTER Jun 4th 2004 12:56 am

If you have waited that long you shouldnt have to wait any longer. That is ridiculous. Hope your wait ends soon. :)

princess_fiona Jun 4th 2004 1:34 am

it's been 15 months and still waitinggg....

Got a letter from my Senator attached is the reply from my district office on our inquiry stating that background check is still pending :(

hcj1440 Jun 4th 2004 1:45 am

Phone number for FBI

I saw this posted on another board - phone number for FBI to ask about your background check:

304-625-5590
Select Option 3
8am - 5:30pm Eastern time Monday-Friday

I think you need to have your A# and date of birth to make the inquiry. Haven't had to try it myself (just got approval letter after 11.5 month wait post-interview) so I don't know if it works - but the person who posted it said they spoke to someone and got an answer.

Ray Jun 4th 2004 3:13 am

Re: Phone number for FBI

You have to remember that its not just the FBI that do security checks ..The FBI really just do the fingerprints "other agencies" are involved too..

4 week to go Margaret... then who cares...
PF or Robert J standby to take over the mantle

hcj1440 Jun 4th 2004 5:11 am

You have to remember that its not just the FBI that do security checks ..The FBI really just do the fingerprints "other agencies" are involved too..
Oh I didn't know that. Everytime we checked with the CIS they would say that the background check hadn't come back yet, and it was in the hands of the FBI, and there was nothing they could do. It was so frustrating because we felt like we were being jerked around and the FBI was completely untouchable and no one could check with them what was going on. For all we knew our file fell in a crack between two desks. So I was happy to find the phone number.

What other agencies are involved? Does the FBI coordinate the background check with these other agencies? Or do all the other places report back in to the CIS indepedently?

Ray Jun 4th 2004 5:36 am

Originally posted by hcj1440
Oh I didn't know that. Everytime we checked with the CIS they would say that the background check hadn't come back yet, and it was in the hands of the FBI, and there was nothing they could do. It was so frustrating because we felt like we were being jerked around and the FBI was completely untouchable and no one could check with them what was going on. For all we knew our file fell in a crack between two desks. So I was happy to find the phone number.
What other agencies are involved? Does the FBI coordinate the background check with these other agencies? Or do all the other places report back in to the CIS indepedently?
As with all security they don't tell why, who or where...or how its all collated..who they don't say but we can safely assume its the CIA... and other Goverment agency databases..

Margaret Jun 4th 2004 1:07 pm

> 4 week to go Margaret... then who cares...
    > PF or Robert J standby
    > to take over the mantle

Here's hoping they don't give me a an approval date before July 1.

Rete Jun 4th 2004 1:38 pm

As with all security they don't tell why, who or where...or how its all collated..who they don't say but we can safely assume its the CIA... and other Goverment agency databases..

It is the CIA, FBI and the IBIS. Also if the name gets a hit with the IBIS that will take even longer since the name has to be cleared even though they have your prints on file.

As for having the FBI number it has been given out so often a simple search of the database would have pulled it right up.

Glad to hear though that you were approved.

Rete

hcj1440 Jun 5th 2004 12:13 am

Originally posted by Rete
It is the CIA, FBI and the IBIS. Also if the name gets a hit with the IBIS that will take even longer since the name has to be cleared even though they have your prints on file.

As for having the FBI number it has been given out so often a simple search of the database would have pulled it right up.

Glad to hear though that you were approved.

Rete
Thank you for the explanation and the "Glad to hear" :-)

Re: the FBI number - I wish it had occurred to me to search for such a thing! I just never saw it anywhere and wasn't aware that such a number existed. Now it seems so obvious so I don't know why I felt like we couldn't do anything to check on it. Maybe it's because the CIS acted like they couldn't even check on it, so I assumed little ordinary mortal me definitely couldn't.

Smarty Woohoo Jun 5th 2004 7:28 pm

So back to the original question.....If they have not done the
background check by our 2nd wedding aniversary, will I be intitled to
get my 10 year green card? (after the all clear of course)

hcj1440 <member19487@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Originally posted by Rete
    > > It is the CIA, FBI and the
    > IBIS. Also if the name gets a hit with the IBIS that will take even
    > longer since the name has to be cleared even though they have your
    > prints on file.
    > >
    > > As for having the FBI number it has been given out
    > so often a simple search of the database would have pulled it right up.
    >
    > >
    > > Glad to hear though that you were approved.
    > >
    > > Rete
    >
    >
    > Thank you for the explanation and the "Glad to hear" :-)
    >
    > Re: the FBI
    > number - I wish it had occurred to me to search for such a thing! I
    > just never saw it anywhere and wasn't aware that such a number existed.
    > Now it seems so obvious so I don't know why I felt like we couldn't do
    > anything to check on it. Maybe it's because the CIS acted like they
    > couldn't even check on it, so I assumed little ordinary mortal me
    > definitely couldn't.