Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Thought K-3 was supposed to speed up the process

Thought K-3 was supposed to speed up the process

Old Jan 16th 2005, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

cala_ash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thought K-3 was supposed to speed up the process

My wife and I were married in the US in August and I moved back to my home in the Caribbean to begin the immigration process. We filed both I-130 and I-129F and received receipts in late september.

I thought the K-3 petition for alien fiance was supposed to speed up the process of uniting families. It seems though that my I-130 petition for alien relative is being processed at quicker rate. While my petition for alien fiance has not yet been approved my wife has already received the affadavit of support and IV processing fee Bill. I am not complaining, but is this unusual or the normal route. Anyone can explain this? Is it necessary to make inquires into the status of my I-129F or should we just let it flow?
Old Jan 17th 2005, 12:00 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thought K-3 was supposed to speed up the process

No it is not unusual. It depends on the speed at which the service center processes the I-130. Vermont is doing it super fast these days. The I-129F goes to one place only and they are swamped with those petitions.

Hey you get the added bonus of entering the US at some point as a resident with no need to be bothered with USCIS for two years.

Rete

Originally Posted by cala_ash
My wife and I were married in the US in August and I moved back to my home in the Caribbean to begin the immigration process. We filed both I-130 and I-129F and received receipts in late september.

I thought the K-3 petition for alien fiance was supposed to speed up the process of uniting families. It seems though that my I-130 petition for alien relative is being processed at quicker rate. While my petition for alien fiance has not yet been approved my wife has already received the affadavit of support and IV processing fee Bill. I am not complaining, but is this unusual or the normal route. Anyone can explain this? Is it necessary to make inquires into the status of my I-129F or should we just let it flow?
Old Jan 17th 2005, 12:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
No it is not unusual. It depends on the speed at which the service center processes the I-130. Vermont is doing it super fast these days. The I-129F goes to one place only and they are swamped with those petitions.

Hey you get the added bonus of entering the US at some point as a resident with no need to be bothered with USCIS for two years.

Rete

Thanks for clearing that up. For a while there I was thinking that it was too good to be true. Sounds like a good deal, just hope it doesn't take too much longer. This wait totally kills you. I figure I am looking at a few more months at the least? I know I am probably hoping for too much with this next question, but does anyone have any experience dealing with the Embassy in Bridgetown, Barbados?
Old Jan 17th 2005, 2:19 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I know I am probably hoping for too much with this next question, but does anyone have any experience dealing with the Embassy in Bridgetown, Barbados?
There is a woman poting at visajourney.com named audrea&prince who is in the middle of a DCF case in Barbados. she filed her I-130 with the Consulate and returned to the US to wait for her husband to get his Immigrant Visa. I'm sure she'd be happy to share what she's learned so far (police certificates etc).
Look for her posts in the DCF Forum at vj.
meauxna
Old Jan 17th 2005, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
There is a woman poting at visajourney.com named audrea&prince who is in the middle of a DCF case in Barbados. she filed her I-130 with the Consulate and returned to the US to wait for her husband to get his Immigrant Visa. I'm sure she'd be happy to share what she's learned so far (police certificates etc).
Look for her posts in the DCF Forum at vj.
meauxna

Thank you very much. I will sure to check with her. I appreciate your help.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 11:26 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the K-3 petition for alien fiance was supposed to speed up the process of uniting families.
When I-130s are being processed quickly, the I-129f K-3/4 option is less attractive (or should I say, less needed). When I-130s are slow, the K-3/4 option starts to look good.

They simply created another option a couple may pursue. Whether or not to pursue the K-3/4 option is up to the couple. Some couples decide to get into both lines (I-130 and I-129f lines) and see which one comes through first.

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Jan 17th 2005 at 11:44 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

The K-3 is still a fairly new beastie -- it was designed as a "band-aid" to long-delayed I-130's. When I-130's are being processed slowly, then the K-3 looks good. When I-130's are processed fairly quickly, then the K-3 is superflorous.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 12:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

The K-3 is still a fairly new beastie -- it was designed as a "band-aid" to long-delayed I-130's. When I-130's are being processed slowly, then the K-3 looks good. When I-130's are processed fairly quickly, then the K-3 is superflorous.

Since the K3 process was created I simply assumed that it would be shorter, guess not in this instance up to this point and I am careful to say up to this point.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:23 am
Just Joined

Since the K3 process was created I simply assumed that it would be shorter, guess not in this instance up to this point and I am careful to say up to this point.
I know this question may seem silly. It regards the Police certificate. Now the only other place that I have lived for any period of time was in the US for four years while I was in College, do I need to provide a certificate for the time spent there or will it be automatically generated?
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:25 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... do I need to provide a certificate for the time spent there...
No.

Ian
Old Jan 18th 2005, 3:55 am
Jonathan McNeil Wong

ian-mstm wrote:
    >>I know this question may seem silly. It regards the Police
    >>certificate. Now the only other place that I have lived for any period
    >>of time was in the US for four years while I was in College, do I need
    >>to provide a certificate for the time spent there or will it be
    >>automatically generated?
    >
    >
    > No.
    >
    > Ian
    >

Last time I checked, police certificates were considered "unobtainable"
for the U.S. which means you don't need them for a consular application.
Posts were notified of this determination in 1991; I have not heard
that it was revoked.

--
Above intended as general commentary, not specific legal
advice. Your mileage may vary.

================================================== =============
Jonathan McNeil Wong Voice: 510-451-0544
Donahue, Gallagher Woods LLP Facsimile: 510-832-1486
P.O. Box 12979 http://www.donahue.com
Oakland, CA 94604-2979 E-mail: [email protected]

Old Jan 18th 2005, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jonathan McNeil Wong
ian-mstm wrote:
    >>I know this question may seem silly. It regards the Police
    >>certificate. Now the only other place that I have lived for any period
    >>of time was in the US for four years while I was in College, do I need
    >>to provide a certificate for the time spent there or will it be
    >>automatically generated?
    >
    >
    > No.
    >
    > Ian
    >

Last time I checked, police certificates were considered "unobtainable"
for the U.S. which means you don't need them for a consular application.
Posts were notified of this determination in 1991; I have not heard
that it was revoked.

--
Above intended as general commentary, not specific legal
advice. Your mileage may vary.

Jonathan McNeil Wong Voice: 510-451-0544
Donahue, Gallagher Woods LLP Facsimile: 510-832-1486
P.O. Box 12979 http://www.donahue.com
Oakland, CA 94604-2979 E-mail: [email protected]

Thanks so much. You guys are awesome. That should make life a lot easier. While I am at it I might as well ask another. My wife live in the caribbean with me for two years. One of those years she filed and the other she did. For the affadavit of support we will get a co-sponsor. She is currently working and all, however, how does she justify not filing taxes for that one year or would she have to refile for that year?