Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

technolog's K1 visa journey

technolog's K1 visa journey

Old Oct 18th 2013, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: technolog's K1 visa journey

Despite trawling the London Embassy site, I can't see any information on how we actually pay the $340 K1 visa fee.

As previously stated, my USC fiancée and I live together in the UK and we don't have an American bank account from which we could write a US$ cheque. How do we pay it?
Old Oct 18th 2013, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute

One more question this evening :

I believe I need to obtain a police certificate to present at my medical. How long, roughly, do they take to obtain and what is their period of validity with regard to the visa application process? To put it another way, do I apply for it now or leave it for a few months?
Old Oct 18th 2013, 10:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by technolog
I believe I need to obtain a police certificate to present at my medical. How long, roughly, do they take to obtain
About 2 weeks.

and what is their period of validity with regard to the visa application process?
1 year.

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2013, 10:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Despite trawling the London Embassy site, I can't see any information on how we actually pay the $340 K1 visa fee.

As previously stated, my USC fiancée and I live together in the UK and we don't have an American bank account from which we could write a US$ cheque. How do we pay it?
See this thread from June 2013 on the topic: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800864

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2013, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

How do we pay it?
Credit card... or a US$ money order. There are probably other options.

Ian
Old Oct 18th 2013, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
About 2 weeks.

1 year.

Rene
So would you agree that the point at which my fiancée's petition is approved is probably about the right time to apply for it?
Old Oct 18th 2013, 11:39 pm

So would you agree that the point at which my fiancée's petition is approved is probably about the right time to apply for it?
Sounds good to me!

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2013, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Credit card... or a US$ money order. There are probably other options.

Ian
So I (UKC beneficiary) can pay the I-129F $340 fee with my UK credit card? If so is it done by giving the card details over the phone? To whom?

Excuse my ignorance but is a US$ money order something that my UK current account provider can provide me with?
Old Oct 18th 2013, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sounds good to me!

Rene
Thanks Rene.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 12:40 am

So I (UKC beneficiary) can pay the I-129F $340 fee with my UK credit card? If so is it done by giving the card details over the phone? To whom?

Excuse my ignorance but is a US$ money order something that my UK current account provider can provide me with?
Did you follow links inside the thread I directed you to?

Rene
Old Oct 19th 2013, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Did you follow links inside the thread I directed you to?

Rene
I did yes, but couldn't see anything relevant to what I'm trying to do. After a second look just now, this is the only info I can see that seems pertinent:

Paying Immigration Fees

Use the following guidance when paying filing, biometrics, or other fees to USCIS:

Bank drafts, cashier's checks, certified checks, personal checks (See Check Instructions below), and money orders must be drawn on U.S. financial institutions and payable in U.S. funds.
If you live in the United States or its territories, make the check or money order payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security (not "USDHS" or "DHS").
If you live outside the United States or its territories, and are filing your application or petition where you live, contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or consulate for instructions on the method of payment.

Credit Cards

USCIS accepts credit cards in all domestic Field Offices that accept payments. Accepted cards include Visa®, Mastercard®, American Express®, and Discover® Network.
It says 'if you live in the US or its territories make check payable to...' - we live in the UK

Then it says 'if you live outside the US or its territories, AND are filing your application or petition where you live...' - we aren't, we're filing in the US

Finally it says 'USCIS accepts credit cards IN all domestic Field Offices that accept payments...' - which I read as meaning inside, in person. Are you saying I can call a field office and give them my card details over the phone? If so, which field office and where would I find the phone number?

Another option would be to get my MIL-to-be to write a US$ check in her name and send it to us if it's allowed for someone other than the petitioner or beneficiary to pay.

Sorry about the barrage of questions, I'm trying my best not to appear either stupid or lazy and I appreciate your patience
Old Oct 21st 2013, 2:54 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

So I (UKC beneficiary) can pay the I-129F $340 fee with my UK credit card?
I did yes, but couldn't see anything relevant to what I'm trying to do. After a second look just now, this is the only info I can see that seems pertinent:

Bank drafts, cashier's checks, certified checks, personal checks (See Check Instructions below), and money orders must be drawn on U.S. financial institutions and payable in U.S. funds.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 3:16 pm

See this thread from June 2013 on the topic: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800864

Rene
So I (UKC beneficiary) can pay the I-129F $340 fee with my UK credit card?
I'm sorry, I linked you to the actual K-1 visa payment, since that's what you referred to in your first post (K1 visa fee). It seems you're actually talking about the I-129F petition fee, not the K1 visa fee.

This is what happens when one doesn't use correct terminology...misunderstandings occur.

If you can't find a way to produce one of those methods JEff posted in red, then one option is to send the I-129F to someone in the USA who can include a personal check, cashier's check, certified check, or money order in the package and then mail it out from the USA. Or, you can have someone in the USA send you one of the above for you to include in the package and then mail it from the UK. Make sure you use a trackable mailing method.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Oct 21st 2013 at 3:19 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

This is what happens when one doesn't use correct terminology...misunderstandings occur.
Sorry. I've tried to be painstakingly accurate in my terminology. It seems at least one error slipped through

Okay, I'll see if my mother-in-law-to-be will send me a check so that I can include it in my fiancée's I-129F filing.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 5:38 pm

Sorry. I've tried to be painstakingly accurate in my terminology. It seems at least one error slipped through
I apologize for coming across so picky...but as you can see, it really matters, so you'll get correct information in response.

rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.