Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

TAX TRANSCRIPTS & London Embassy: Please help! me!

TAX TRANSCRIPTS & London Embassy: Please help! me!

Old Jun 26th 2019, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

RascalKing is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TAX TRANSCRIPTS & London Embassy: Please help! me!

Hello all,

My wife had her interview yesterday All went well except they said that we need to provide an IRS Tax Transcript for my 2018 tax return. I was not aware that they would ask for this as it is not stated on their website.

Additionally, I had all the paperwork and appointment set up a couple of months in advance (except my tax return) and thus hadn't checked friendly blogs like this one to see if there were any new additional wrinkles to the process. (Yes, I see the topic pin now for Transcripts). I had included my US offer letter and US pay stubs showing I had enough income (easily).

The problem: I need to prove an IRS Tax return transcript. However, I filed my taxes - via snail mail- on June 15th, 2019 (had an issue that delayed my filing). Per the IRS website, filers who file by snail mail will take 8 weeks to receive the transcript. I need to get my wife here ASAP (my US citizen son is with her and has medical issues & I have very old parents). Meanwhile, my Brazilian wife is stuck in London with a one-year-old child - a very difficult situation.

Does anyone have any ideas they could suggest? Should I just upload a document saying that my transcript is delayed? Call the London Embassy (how & who??) Call the IRS?

Very very frustrated and thank you all for reading...
Old Jun 26th 2019, 4:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TAX TRANSCRIPTS & London Embassy: Please help! me!

Did you keep a copy of the tax return that you filed?

Presumably you also have a copy of the "extension" you requested so that you could file late. (?)

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 26th 2019 at 4:34 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2019, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Did you use a preparer? If so, they may be able to at least confirm what was filed?

If you have a copy and/or a preparer I would then upload that copy and explain the position.
Old Jun 26th 2019, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Did you keep a copy of the tax return that you filed?

Presumably you also have a copy of the "extension" you requested so that you could file late. (?)
Hi Pulaski,

I did keep a copy of the return. The extension wasn't something I had to formally request. It is automatically given to me as all overseas filers receive an automatic 2-month extension (June 15th)

So perhaps, I just send in a copy of my tax return and an explanation of the automatic extension?

Also would love to know where I send this to or upload. The crummy pice of paper just said I would receive an email on how to send documents to the embassy by courier.

Thanks very much for your response....
Old Jun 26th 2019, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

MidAtlantic I did them myself but I do have a copy. I am going to do that and give the explanation - hopefully, they don't say tough luck and make me wait 8 weeks.

I still don't know where to send the documents as they said they send an email telling me how to send by courier.

Thanks btw...
Old Jun 26th 2019, 6:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If they are going to have to be done by courier from within the UK, then you need to send them to your wife, who will then be able to courier them once you get the instructions.

Rene
Old Jun 26th 2019, 8:55 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing to add except to say that this isn't a blog, it's a forum
Old Sep 1st 2019, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Corrine82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RascalKing
MidAtlantic I did them myself but I do have a copy. I am going to do that and give the explanation - hopefully, they don't say tough luck and make me wait 8 weeks.

I still don't know where to send the documents as they said they send an email telling me how to send by courier.

Thanks btw...
Hi Rascal
just checking how you got on did u get them to accept the 1040 ? Or have u had to wait for tax transcripts ?
Old Sep 1st 2019, 8:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Corrine82

Hi Rascal
just checking how you got on did u get them to accept the 1040 ? Or have u had to wait for tax transcripts ?
He has 3 posts to his name and the last one was dated June 26th. He is not a forum regular. So don't hold your breath for an answer. ;-(
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Corrine82

Hi Rascal
Hi Corrine,

They did did not accept the 1040. I even had a strong connection to the embassy and they still wouldn’t accept it. The embassy (but really immigration ) is a black box under the current administration. That’s what people who work in DC - in this area/ have told me. Not a political statement - I’m no fan of this or the previous administration, just what multiple people who work in the immigration process have told me.

However, I was able to get the Tax return transcript expedited. I did this by involving a senator and congressman’s office. I told them about my hardship and they were able to have the IRS produce a transcript quick. I mean like super quick.

So so my partner and child are now with me living in America.

For anyone else on a similar situation in regards to IRS documents, contact a congressman and/or senator to get them to expedite. Don’t bother with appeals to the IRS without help - I tried and got nowhere (hours on the phone and visits to an office).