Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Stoutbanana's VWP travel questions, married to USC

Stoutbanana's VWP travel questions, married to USC

Old Aug 16th 2012, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stoutbanana's VWP travel questions, married to USC

Originally Posted by Boiler
VWP is an American term.
Really ? Sure I've seen it on both US and UK forums - but no matter.

Just in case OP is not familiar with the term, it refers to the Visa Waiver Program whereby UK and US folk (and some other qualified countries) can visit one another countries without need for a visa - you only need a current passport.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 3:35 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting whilst awaiting visa - proof required

Being "married legally" will not allow you to come and go as you like. You've got the wrong cause and effect there.

To cut to the chase, you'll each need to be citizens of the others country to achieve your objective. That's immigration law, not family law.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Stoutbanana
We want to be living together, married legally so I/we can come and go as we like between the US and the UK.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 3:45 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The USA has a Visa Waiver Program.

The UK has a Short-stay Visa Waiver Programme.

They are two separate and totally independent programs, in more ways than the spelling, in accordance with the immigration laws of the two different countries, even though, as the similar names indicate, they serve a similar purpose. Which is to say, the US VWP is not the UK VWP, so care should be taken to clarify which VWP one is writing about.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Really ? Sure I've seen it on both US and UK forums - but no matter.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Stoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant future

Diana can stay in the UK for 6 months without a visa and I can't see us staying in the UK for longer after we are married when SD is so much better!
Old Aug 16th 2012, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
The USA has a Visa Waiver Program.

The UK has a Short-stay Visa Waiver Programme.

They are two separate and totally independent programs, in more ways than the spelling, in accordance with the immigration laws of the two different countries, even though, as the similar names indicate, they serve a similar purpose. Which is to say, the US VWP is not the UK VWP, so care should be taken to clarify which VWP one is writing about.

Regards, JEff
I stand corrected
Old Aug 16th 2012, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Diana can stay in the UK for 6 months without a visa and I can't see us staying in the UK for longer after we are married when SD is so much better!
Have you already looked at where in the San Diego area you will be living?
Old Aug 16th 2012, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Stoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant future

Yes we will be living on the outskirts of El Cajon and Granite Hills...... I know it's not really SD but if I say El Cajon people think it is a Mexican hamlet!

Are there any expat socials going on in SD?
Old Aug 16th 2012, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes we will be living on the outskirts of El Cajon and Granite Hills...... I know it's not really SD but if I say El Cajon people think it is a Mexican hamlet!

Are there any expat socials going on in SD?
Not that I know of but that does not mean there aren't any !! I'm in Poway north of downtown San Diego.

Do some Googling to find expat events.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Diana's sis lives in Poway...I'll keep a look out on the forum as I have heard there are a lot of expats in the SD area...