Reload this Page >

Staying in the US as UKC

Staying in the US as UKC

Old Jan 19th 2020, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Bukkus_elite98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Staying in the US as UKC

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I think you’ve just answered your own conundrum then.

As you don’t have the usual things people would use to prove they intended to return (i.e. a job expecting you back etc), it’s a risk to overstay and try to adjust status. Your call though.
Looking more into it, I think adjusting status will be safe for me. I know I can't prove it here because of privacy but I can 100% prove I had intent to return, I even spent hundreds on my room back in England before I came here. I do have things I'll miss in England but I definitely feel like now is the time to do it.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 5:53 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bukkus_elite98
Looking more into it, I think adjusting status will be safe for me. I know I can't prove it here because of privacy but I can 100% prove I had intent to return, I even spent hundreds on my room back in England before I came here. I do have things I'll miss in England but I definitely feel like now is the time to do it.
So you know better than all the others, who have seen cases like yours over and over again and who know the system inside out? You had the chance to do this properly, instead you're going to take a risk and maybe ruin your wish to live in the US? A risk you don't need to take. I say this in the nicest possible way - grow up.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 5:57 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Our family (her family) would be able to take care of me for 6 months without me being a burden, I am confident of that. If I wanted to adjust what forms would I file first?
As also mentioned before, it is your wife, the USC, who has to file to sponsor you. If things go wrong, is your wife prepared to move to the U.K. to be with you? Can you afford to sponsor her to move there? If not, you should consider what your risk tolerance is for an adjustment going wrong. Is it worth staying together now for instant gratification if there is a safer way to proceed?
Old Jan 19th 2020, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
So you know better than all the others, who have seen cases like yours over and over again and who know the system inside out? You had the chance to do this properly, instead you're going to take a risk and maybe ruin your wish to live in the US? A risk you don't need to take. I say this in the nicest possible way - grow up.
I don't understand how this isn't a proper way?
Old Jan 19th 2020, 6:00 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand how this isn't a proper way?
Old Jan 19th 2020, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
As also mentioned before, it is your wife, the USC, who has to file to sponsor you. If things go wrong, is your wife prepared to move to the U.K. to be with you? Can you afford to sponsor her to move there? If not, you should consider what your risk tolerance is for an adjustment going wrong. Is it worth staying together now for instant gratification if there is a safer way to proceed?
We had no idea this was an option until 3 weeks ago, now that I know it's an option it just seems too tempting to pass up. It's not about instant gratification but it seems like overall it would be an easier experience rather than filing back at england.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well if we are going to have a risk tolerance discussion first we need to appreciate that there is no risk free option.

If there is no adjustment then he has to leave and that presumably involves flying across the Atlantic.

Planes do crash, and I have little confidence in those life vests saving you, can not think of a failed VWP adjustment under current rules..
Old Jan 19th 2020, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

What is this implying?

I'm not implying,.... just wondering how, if you go the adjust of status route, you are going to support yourselves during or after the event?

The incoming spouse does not have a job to go to and, indeed, may not be able to work for up to 12-18 months - and from reading the posts (specifically his age)he does not have a wealth of experience or specific skill, and no degree . The US spouse either does not work, of if she does, she is on minimum wage as she cannot afford to sponsor him. Yes, grandpa is acting as joint sponsor but is he prepared to support you both until either finds a job with a decent income so you can live independently

The cost of health insurance per month immediately come to mind for ongoing costs.....

Like other members of the forum moving to the US without decent resources in place is something I would not want to do.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I'm not implying,.... just wondering how, if you go the adjust of status route, you are going to support yourselves during or after the event?

The incoming spouse does not have a job to go to and, indeed, may not be able to work for up to 12-18 months - and from reading the posts (specifically his age)he does not have a wealth of experience or specific skill, and no degree . The US spouse either does not work, of if she does, she is on minimum wage as she cannot afford to sponsor him. Yes, grandpa is acting as joint sponsor but is he prepared to support you both until either finds a job with a decent income so you can live independently

The cost of health insurance per month immediately come to mind for ongoing costs.....

Like other members of the forum moving to the US without decent resources in place is something I would not want to do.
EAD is currently taking 6 months and could be expedited.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 11:05 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well if we are going to have a risk tolerance discussion first we need to appreciate that there is no risk free option.

If there is no adjustment then he has to leave and that presumably involves flying across the Atlantic.

Planes do crash, and I have little confidence in those life vests saving you, can not think of a failed VWP adjustment under current rules..
You seem to be a proponent of the OP staying here and going for it. Is that the route that you took?
Old Jan 20th 2020, 1:37 am
Account Closed

You seem to be a proponent of the OP staying here and going for it. Is that the route that you took?
I am a proponent of the OP considering all options and going with the one that makes more sense in their individual situation.

With the benefit of hindsight it would have been the one I would have used, not sure how that is relevant to the OP.
Old Jan 20th 2020, 1:56 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by Boiler
I am a proponent of the OP considering all options and going with the one that makes more sense in their individual situation.

With the benefit of hindsight it would have been the one I would have used, not sure how that is relevant to the OP.
Thanks for the response. No relevance to the OP’s case, I was just interested to know if you had personal experience of that route.
Old Jan 20th 2020, 2:09 am
Account Closed

Thanks for the response. No relevance to the OP’s case, I was just interested to know if you had personal experience of that route.
Well I adjusted so sort of.
Old Jan 20th 2020, 4:00 am
Just Joined

When the I-485 gets sent in, how long does it take to get some sort of a response/notification that lets me know they got the forms on x date?
Old Jan 20th 2020, 12:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

When the I-485 gets sent in, how long does it take to get some sort of a response/notification that lets me know they got the forms on x date?

Honey, it is not just the I-485 that gets sent in. It is form I-130 which is the basis for your adjustment, I-485, I-131, I-765, I-864 and I-864A (affidavit of support from your wife and her grandfather and evidences of your married life together, i.e. photos, joint bank accounts, filed taxes showing that she filed as married, etc. Not a quick job to get done as they all have to be filed at the same time and together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.