Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Staying in the US as UKC

Staying in the US as UKC

Old Jan 20th 2020, 12:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Staying in the US as UKC

And once the AOS package is filed, it takes several weeks to get the official NOA with receipt date. Then it takes 4 to 6 month to get your EAD and AP in hand, so you will be landlocked in the USA, unable to work for all that time.

If you decide to file AOS, send it via a trackable method so you will at least know it arrived.

Since you only have a day or so remaining on your VWP visit, you'll definitely go into overstay.

Rene
Old Jan 20th 2020, 2:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to clarify newly weds will not have that much in the way of evidence like filing taxes jointly, well it would be pretty unusual. Evidence of Bonafide Marriage is the term, by the time of the interview a lot more will have been accumulated.
Old Jan 20th 2020, 2:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Just to clarify newly weds will not have that much in the way of evidence like filing taxes jointly, well it would be pretty unusual. Evidence of Bonafide Marriage is the term, by the time of the interview a lot more will have been accumulated.
Given the ages of the OP and his wife I imagine living with family, so there would be less evidence of cohabitation, and therefore they should plan to obtain as much as they can, such as joint bank account, joint car ownership, wills naming each other, etc.
Old Jan 20th 2020, 2:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Given the ages of the OP and his wife I imagine living with family, so there would be less evidence of cohabitation, and therefore they should plan to obtain as much as they can, such as joint bank account, joint car ownership, wills naming each other, etc.
I was thinking more of the filing asap situation, a long process, I think I filed mine in a couple of days and certainly had a LOT more when it came to interview, not that they seemed interested.
Old Jan 20th 2020, 3:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

They are NOT newlyweds. They have been married for two years.

And your adjustment was what? 15 years ago?