Stamp for I-751

Old Sep 7th 2005, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

ramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant future
Default Stamp for I-751

Hi All

Do I need to have unexpired passport to take the I-751 stamp on it when I get approval for I-751 ? Could you please give me an idea what suppose to happen after I get the approval letter.

I did not apply for I-751 yet but I ask this question becasue my passport is already expired and I want to prepare for this situation

Thanks
Old Sep 7th 2005, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

mike2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stamp for I-751

Originally Posted by ramNagab
Hi All

Do I need to have unexpired passport to take the I-751 stamp on it when I get approval for I-751 ? Could you please give me an idea what suppose to happen after I get the approval letter.

I did not apply for I-751 yet but I ask this question becasue my passport is already expired and I want to prepare for this situation

Thanks
Why don't you renew your passport?
Old Sep 7th 2005, 6:00 pm
Olivier Wagner

Unless you are canadian or a refugee, you should have a valid passport at
all times. I would advise you to apply for a new passport and be ready to
document it.

For those who are exempt from the passport requirement, USCIS will issue the
I-751 stamp on a blank I-94.

"ramNagab" <member18746@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > Hi All
    > Do I need to have unexpired passport to take the I-751 stamp on it
    > when I get approval for I-751 ? Could you please give me an idea
    > what suppose to happen after I get the approval letter.
    > I did not apply for I-751 yet but I ask this question becasue my
    > passport is already expired and I want to prepare for this
    > situation
    > Thanks
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 7th 2005, 6:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mike2005
Why don't you renew your passport?
Yup... that'd be the sensible thing to do!

Ian
Old Sep 7th 2005, 7:00 pm
somePerson

I had an expired Canadian passport when I went to the USCIS office
(OKC) with my removal of conditions approval letter.

I didn't realize it was expired until I was already sitting at the OKC
office and I almost had a heart attack when I noticed it! But I was
able to get a temp. card issued on a seperate piece of paper (I guess
that was the I-94).

It is interesting what Olivier mentions as I guess Canadian passport
holders may be one of the few who can do this? I would have thought it
would have been an all or nothing thing when it comes to green cards.

Since you know about your passport issue before hand, I would just go
ahead and renew it....save yourself the headache.

Old Sep 7th 2005, 7:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Thanks
Hi ram,

The purpose of the stamp is to provide temporary proof of your PR status. It's not really necessary to even have the stamp unless you plan to travel outside the USA. And, if you are planning to travel outside the USA, then yes, you'd need a new passport. Even if USCIS was to give you a stamp on a blank sheet of paper, you couldn't use that to travel with an expired passport anyway.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 7th 2005, 7:20 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The purpose of the stamp is to provide temporary proof of your PR status. It's not really necessary to even have the stamp unless you plan to travel outside the USA.
-Or you are applying for/accepting new employment

-Or you are required to show proof of status to an Immigration Officer

-Or one of probably several other scenarios.

Ram: you want that proof of status. When the approval letter comes, it instructs you to go to your Local Office to process the new 10-year Green Card.
At that appointment, your 2-year card is taken away from you, and the passport stamp is the only proof of status you'll have.

Renew your passport.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 7:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
-Or you are applying for/accepting new employment

-Or you are required to show proof of status to an Immigration Officer

-Or one of probably several other scenarios.

Ram: you want that proof of status. When the approval letter comes, it instructs you to go to your Local Office to process the new 10-year Green Card.
At that appointment, your 2-year card is taken away from you, and the passport stamp is the only proof of status you'll have.

Renew your passport.
Thanks Mo....learn something new every day.

Rene
Old Sep 7th 2005, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

Thanks
Hi:

If you don't have a current passport, CIS offices are authorized to paste your picture to an I-94 and put your thumbprint and the "processed for I-551" stamp thereon. However, not all offices seem to know about this.