Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Death of Sponsor Question

Death of Sponsor Question

Old Aug 25th 2005, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

melody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nice
Default Death of Sponsor Question

If I should die due to complications from today's surgery, would my husband who just recently received his greencard (k-1 visa) be deported back to England?

I did the search thing and the form I-864 was mentioned; but the person was dealing with CR something or other and so I still am worried about this.

Stupid gall bladder making me think of sad things instead of happiness over him being over here for one full year come next week.

Thanks in advance

Melody
Old Aug 25th 2005, 12:22 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Death of Sponsor Question

Originally Posted by melody32
If I should die due to complications from today's surgery, would my husband who just recently received his greencard (k-1 visa) be deported back to England?
I did the search thing and the form I-864 was mentioned; but the person was
You ain't going to die .... just make sure you put a label on each limb ..saying ..do not cut off in error ...
Old Aug 25th 2005, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

I did the search thing and the form I-864 was mentioned; but the person was dealing with CR something or other and so I still am worried about this.

Stupid gall bladder making me think of sad things instead of happiness over him being over here for one full year come next week.

Thanks in advance

Melody
Hi:

Good luck.

Answer to your direct question: No, he would not be deported. In fact, he could file the I-751 immediately.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

melody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
You ain't going to die .... just make sure you put a label on each limb ..saying ..do not cut off in error ...
Sooo that's what a laugh feels like )
Old Aug 25th 2005, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Good luck.

Answer to your direct question: No, he would not be deported. In fact, he could file the I-751 immediately.
Thank you for the luck and allowing me to settle down one worry D
Old Aug 25th 2005, 2:16 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Sooo that's what a laugh feels like )
You won't laugh when you see the bill....
Old Aug 25th 2005, 2:40 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Mr.F,

And the obligation of her I-864 would continue, falling to her estate?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Good luck.

Old Aug 25th 2005, 3:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Mr.F,

Regards, JEff

Only until the estate is settled, then the obligations under the I-864 are discharged.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 4:51 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Rete,

Would the existence of an open I-864 cause problems or delay in settling the estate?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Rete
Only until the estate is settled, then the obligations under the I-864 are discharged.
Mr.F,

Regards, JEff
Old Aug 25th 2005, 5:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Rete,

Would the existence of an open I-864 cause problems or delay in settling the estate?

Regards, JEff

I don't know the legal answer to that Jeff, however, rationale tells me, no. The estate will be concerned with debits and credits. An open I-864 is neither. It is a promise but not a promissory note per se and the US Government will only have the right to claim reimbursement if and when appropriate and rarely uses that avenue for reimbursement at the prresent time, I can rationally see that it would be an issue. Also the I-864 is not a transferrable instrument and once the death of spouse and the settlement of the estate is concluded, the I-864 becomes void.

I liken it my credit card. I'm married and have a credit card since the time I was single. It is in my name only and is used only by me. My husband's name is not on the card, nor on the credit application made prior to our marriage. My husband does not enjoy a second card on this account either. So if I were to die with a balance still owing on the credit card, the credit card company is SOL as my husband is not liable to pay the balance when he 'inherits' the estate because the debt is not his in any manner. The credit card company can try to get repayment from him but he does not have to repay the balance unless he wants to do. He is under no legal obligation to do so since our joint banking accounts go to him upon my death and the only thing left would be my private savings account. The CCC can, of course, go after payment from that account but not from the joint accounts and/or any of the retirement plans or life insurance monies my husband would 'inherit'.

As I said, these are only my thoughts and by no means a legal rendering since I am not qualified to do so.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 6:13 pm

Rete,

Thanks for the thoughts.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Rete
I don't know the legal answer to that Jeff, however, rationale tells me, no. The estate will be concerned with debits and credits. An open I-864 is neither. It is a promise but not a promissory note per se and the US Government will only have the right to claim reimbursement if and when appropriate and rarely uses that avenue for reimbursement at the prresent time, I can rationally see that it would be an issue. Also the I-864 is not a transferrable instrument and once the death of spouse and the settlement of the estate is concluded, the I-864 becomes void.

I liken it my credit card. I'm married and have a credit card since the time I was single. It is in my name only and is used only by me. My husband's name is not on the card, nor on the credit application made prior to our marriage. My husband does not enjoy a second card on this account either. So if I were to die with a balance still owing on the credit card, the credit card company is SOL as my husband is not liable to pay the balance when he 'inherits' the estate because the debt is not his in any manner. The credit card company can try to get repayment from him but he does not have to repay the balance unless he wants to do. He is under no legal obligation to do so since our joint banking accounts go to him upon my death and the only thing left would be my private savings account. The CCC can, of course, go after payment from that account but not from the joint accounts and/or any of the retirement plans or life insurance monies my husband would 'inherit'.

As I said, these are only my thoughts and by no means a legal rendering since I am not qualified to do so.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

psychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ray

It's sad that has to be more true than funny! I had nerve decompression
surgery in the fall, but when I went in, they had me down for a different surgery--on a different part of the arm! They had already given my the good drugs when I caught the error so they had to call the surgeon out of surgery and I had to tell him that what was down was NOT what we discussed was
being done. Had to have DH sign off because I had been medicated, and then they told me to make sure I marked which arm was being operated on. I felt a bit of trepidation after all that, even with the hard stuff they have me!!
Old Aug 25th 2005, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks in advance

Melody
Hey Melody

Sorry to hear you are going in for surgery but please don't feel that something bad is going to happen its not. You will be fine.

I can't believe your man has been here a year amazing how time flies.

Best wishes and I'm thinking of you.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 11:12 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance

Melody
Melody! Don't you even think of that!!
Bet get back here or I will kick ya!!
Old Sep 7th 2005, 6:59 am
Jonathan McNeil Wong

melody32 wrote:
    >>Hi:
    >>Good luck.
    >>Answer to your direct question: No, he would not be deported. In
    >>fact, he could file the I-751 immediately.
    >
    >
    > Thank you for the luck and allowing me to settle down one worry :oD
    >

Stuart's response assumes, I think, that when you said "greencard (k-1
visa)", you meant that your husband had come on a K-1 visa and that he
had since adjusted his status to conditional permanent resident.

If he is still in K-1 status, the answer might likely be different.

--
Above intended as general commentary, not specific legal
advice. Your mileage may vary.

================================================== =============
Jonathan McNeil Wong Voice: 510-451-0544
Donahue Gallagher Woods LLP Facsimile: 510-832-1486
P.O. Box 12979 URL: http://www.donahue.com
Oakland, CA 94604-2979 E-mail: [email protected]
================================================== =============

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.