SSN & AOS questions

Old May 4th 2001, 9:10 pm
Jitters

My husband has his new SS card, in which his name is also MISSPELLED, by the way. He
has a job ready to go, but the card is marked "valid with INS authorization" as it
usually would be. My question is, the 2nd piece of proof for valid employment is
what? The actual K-1 in the passport? Or does he still have to have this EAD first?
A K-1 allows an alien legal employment. I just need to know what items he needs to
show as proof.

Another thing I am curious about as well....the K-1 wedding & the AOS must be done in
90 days, but this guy at the MIA port of entry told my husband it has to be done
right after the wedding. Is this some kinda scare tactic because of all the lazy
immigrants in Miami who don't file in time? I am really only just concerned with TSC
being soooooooooooo slow. How will we ever get the paperwork ready to mail out by the
end of May, & not pass the 3 month deadline? It could be sitting around on someone's
desk for eternity out there.

Old May 4th 2001, 10:31 pm
lisac77

He has to have Employment Authorization from the INS to work. This comes in the form
of a card issued by the INS.

>
the
    >
    >
    >
does
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
it
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 4th 2001, 10:50 pm
michael d young

Jitters wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hi All!

If your husband just received the card he can call 1-800-772-1213 and they can take
the information over the phone to get him a SSN card with his name corrected. Don't
wait to long or he will need to reapply for a replacement card.

Take care,

Mike

Old May 5th 2001, 4:42 am
Alex J

Jitters wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >

He will have to get his temporary (90 day) EAD card first.

>
    >
    >

You have to have the wedding and file the AOS paperwork within 90 days of activating
your K-1 (entering the US).

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

It just has to reach the TSC within the 90 day time frame - not actually be
processed. The only paperwork that may take any time is the marriage certificate (the
one with the seal after it goes to the court house - sorry I can't think of the
"right" way to say this).

Any way I have no K-1 experience and am just going by what I have seen others here
say. Those more knowledgeable will correct me if I have erred any where.

Alex

Old May 5th 2001, 12:48 pm
Grinch

>
be
    >
    >
sorry I
    >

It DOES NOT and I am shouting NOT go to the TSC. The Aos paperwork goes to your local
INS office.

Alex come on man, you know better than this!

Grinch

Old May 5th 2001, 1:24 pm
Betastar

Jitters - the TSC has nothing to do with the AOS for you in Florida.

Here's what you do:

1. Get married
2. Walk the marriage certificate papers through the local county clerk or whever it
is you have to walk it through so you get a copy of the marriage certificate
fairly immediately
3. Fill out all of the AOS paperwork
4. Take it to your LOCAL INS office and file it with the fees there.

TSC has nothing to do with it, and the time-limit thing is for you two to get married
and file those papers.

The whole burden with the 90-days is on you. The only other people you might be
slightly dependent on is whoever processes your marriage license.

Betastar

On Fri, 4 May 2001 17:21:32 -0700, "Jitters"

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 5th 2001, 4:24 pm
Alex J

OOPS - SORRY. Was just repeating what she put. To late at night to do that I guess.

Alex

Grinch wrote:

[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > It just has to reach the TSC within the 90 day time frame - not actually[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > processed. The only paperwork that may take any time is the marriage certificate[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > (the one with the seal after it goes to the court house -[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > can't think of the "right" way to say this).[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 6th 2001, 4:56 pm
Beth Bell

Erm- FYI- Those of us in Maryland cannot file AOS at our local INS office
(Baltimore). We have to send ours to the Vermont Service Center.......
----------
in message

[usenetquote2]>> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > It just has to reach the TSC within the 90 day time frame - not actually[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > processed. The only paperwork that may take any time is the marriage certificate[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > (the one with the seal after it goes to the court house -[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> sorry I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > can't think of the "right" way to say this).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> It DOES NOT and I am shouting NOT go to the TSC. The Aos paperwork goes to your[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> local INS office.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Alex come on man, you know better than this![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Grinch[/usenetquote2]

Old May 12th 2001, 4:47 am
Jitters

The reason why I am all messed up about this stuff, is: I checked Jonathan's site,
which says "check the local INS offices websites for filing info" (not a perfect
quote). So I went there, then located Miami INS, then it says NOTHING about filing
AOS...so I got MORE confused. I only ask for straight complete information, and it
seems with any government office you need forms just to say you want to fill out
forms. I checked the TSC site which said they did AOS, but it all sounded strange top
me. We ended up going to a quickie immigration shop and wasted $30.00 on an OLD
information package. We thought we were buying the correct information and all I got
was complete CRAP! OLD papers from 98, 2 envelopes addressed to TSC and NSC, and my
mind was completely blown. I would have used the downloaded forms anyway, but I just
wanted to see where these papers would be mailed. As a last ditch effort I called the
INS hotline, followed instructions to reach my local office's message, and FINALLY at
the end of the tape they said they accept "walk-in" AOS filing on a first-come
first-serve basis. All we need to do now is wait the complete 5 weeks for the
certified marriage certificate. We have everything else. I don't think we need all
our evidence for proof of valid marriage ready yet right? This is for the interview I
assume. The Miami INS recording said AOS processing takes 15 months.

>

[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > It just has to reach the TSC within the 90 day time frame - not[/usenetquote2]
actually
    >
[usenetquote2]> > processed. The only paperwork that may take any time is the marriage certificate[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > (the one with the seal after it goes to the court house -[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > can't think of the "right" way to say this).[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >