Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

how long do I have to stay in my own country

how long do I have to stay in my own country

Old May 11th 2001, 3:56 pm
Floor

Hi, I posted earlier with the subject 'do I need to go back'. Decided to go back
anyway for other reasons. My question is how long do I have to stay in my own
country before I can get back into the USA. As I told before, I am here on an
extended visitorsvisa and have a multiple entry in my passport. Do I have to go to
the American Consulate before I can get back in? If yes, do I apply for a
visitorsvisa again?

Also, when I applied for the extension in November I had to sent my I 94 card, but
never received it back. I do have a copy, but is it normal that they didnt sent it
back to me?

In my country same sex marriages are possible. If we would get married there, would
INS recognize that?

Marjan

Old May 12th 2001, 2:28 am
Sea J.

Hi,

>
    >
    >

There is no hard and fast rule about how long you should stay out. You should stay
long enough to make sure the immigration officers in the airport don't suspect you of
making US your permanent home. By staying out long enough, you prove that you have a
'life' outside of the USA. As a rule of thumb, you should stay out for between 6
months to a year. If you keep coming back within 6 months, they may suspect that you
are going back simply to avoid being out of status. Between 6 to 12 months should be
relatively safe. But do be prepared to answer questions when you come back in.

Do you have copies of your I-94 and the extension petition approval? Keep
them with you.

>
    >
    >

If you have a multiple-entry visa and your visa is still valid, then you don't have
to go to the consulate to get another visa.

>
    >
    >

I don't know if it is normal or not. But if you have copies you should be safe on
your way back. But when leaving you need to surrender your I-94. I don't know what
happens in that case.

>
    >

US does not have such laws. I would seriously doubt that it would be accepted-unless
the USA had such laws. You might want to confirm this with your lawyer because I
could be wrong.

Best regards, Sea J.

Old May 12th 2001, 5:42 am
Floor

>
    >

[usenetquote2]> >Hi, I posted earlier with the subject 'do I need to go back'. Decided to go back[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >anyway for other reasons. My question is how long do I have to stay in my own[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >country before I can[/usenetquote2]
get
[usenetquote2]> >back into the USA.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
the
    >
    >
going
    >
    >

So I can forget what I planned: to return in 3 months. How about flying to Mexico?
And, suppose I do buy a return ticket within 3 months, and they don't allow me to get
in, do I get the money back which I payed for the ticket? (I'm afraid you will get
pretty bored by me, but everything is so complicated LOL)

[usenetquote2]> >Marjan[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >