Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Spouse's Criminal Record

Spouse's Criminal Record

Old May 28th 2019, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

klawrence is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse's Criminal Record

I am a USC married to a UKC. Our I-130 was approved and we received his case number last week so are stating to gather all required documents and complete the DS-260 online. When my husband was 20 (so about 14 years ago), he got into a bar fight, was convicted of assault and fined £1,000. No jail time. From what I've read this shouldn't prohibit him from having his visa approved, but it still makes me nervous as I've seen some conflicting information. Should we go into the interview with any additional information to help? Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.
Old May 28th 2019, 2:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse's Criminal Record

He will need his ACRO report and he should attempt to get his court records of the proceedings showing the outcome of the conviction.
Old May 28th 2019, 2:46 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the above, he should make very effort to obtain more information from the station that dealt with him, and with the court that heard his case (if any)

The chances are that you won't be able to find anything, but keep copies of letters sent etc to show that that effort was made.

With a simple assault conviction, I don't see it holding up his visa. Surprised he didn't just receive a caution to be honest, unless he refused it.

Last edited by civilservant; May 28th 2019 at 2:52 pm. Reason: typo
Old May 28th 2019, 4:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
… With a simple assault conviction, I don't see it holding up his visa. ….
I agree. If he has no other incidents on his criminal record, he shouldn't have any problems getting his visa due to a combination of his relative youth at the time of the conviction and the passage of time without further incidents.
Old Jun 30th 2019, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Corrine82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi im going through the same at the moment with my DH he got into a fight in 1999 he was 17 at the time and got convicted with Actual bodily harm and Affray was given a small fine and community service nothing since
We are also in the UK so we ordered his ARCO which will show No live trace - You will also need to order a SAR ( statement access report ) takes about a month to come this will list the crime , conviction and dates of what is on his record
I have just applied to the court for a memorandum of conviction it has cost me £25 for a certified one and was told will take around another 30 days we are expecting our NOA2 very soon everything crossed