Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

and so, our journey begins...

Wikiposts

and so, our journey begins...

Old Jul 23rd 2012, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Snavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really nice
Default Re: and so, our journey begins...

On Saturday I received the NVC letter stating it was being forwarded to London, it was postmarked the 18th. When should my Fiancee expect to hear from London?
Also, when looking at the embassy website I saw this message:
Nonimmigrant visa services will be limited during the period July through to the end of August 2012. Travelers requiring visas are, therefore, advised to apply early to avoid disappointment. The appointment calendar is open through until the end of August. If you have plans to travel during the summer, book now as appointment availability cannot be guaranteed. Our call center is open Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 am and 9:00 pm and on Saturday between 9:00 am and 4:00 pm.
I think that means that we should abandon our hope of having this done by the end of September Any advice on that??

Lastly, I have my letters from my banks, letter from employer, and a slew of paystubs to accompany the I-134. Will that be sufficient? Do they need the originals, or are copies ok?
When filling out the I-134, I have a silly question. It says “I have on deposit in savings banks in the US:”, I actually do not keep money in a savings account as I have a high interest bearing checking account. Does this poorly worded line refer only to money in a savings account, or in any readily available account? Basically should I put my savings balance total, or my total from checking accounts?
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 3:20 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snavemada5
On Saturday I received the NVC letter stating it was being forwarded to London, it was postmarked the 18th. When should my Fiancee expect to hear from London?
Probably within a month or so.

I think that means that we should abandon our hope of having this done by the end of September Any advice on that??
I agree with you.

Lastly, I have my letters from my banks, letter from employer, and a slew of paystubs to accompany the I-134. Will that be sufficient? Do they need the originals, or are copies ok?
The I-134 should have an original signature on it. Backup evidence can be photocopies.

When filling out the I-134, I have a silly question. It says “I have on deposit in savings banks in the US:”, I actually do not keep money in a savings account as I have a high interest bearing checking account. Does this poorly worded line refer only to money in a savings account, or in any readily available account? Basically should I put my savings balance total, or my total from checking accounts?
Since it specifically says "savings" in that paragraph, I wouldn't put your checking account amount there. You can always put "see attached", and then mention your checking account amount on a separate sheet of paper. Plus, the letter from your bank should be showing the amount in whatever accounts you have there, so that's also evidence of money in the bank.

Rene
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

Snavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really niceSnavemada5 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Since it specifically says "savings" in that paragraph, I wouldn't put your checking account amount there. You can always put "see attached", and then mention your checking account amount on a separate sheet of paper. Plus, the letter from your bank should be showing the amount in whatever accounts you have there, so that's also evidence of money in the bank.
That's what I figured, too... it just seems really silly putting such a small amount in that field.

I'm going to continue to hope that our tentative wedding day of Oct. 11th is still a possibility... but I do realize it's sort of a longshot at this point.

Thank you again, Rene, for your help. I'm sure I'll have to post again once she starts filling out DSS forms.

Just checking, but that evidence for the I-134 should be sufficient, right? Also, is that all the documentation I need to send her for the rest of the process? Will she need my birth certificate or SS card or anything of that sort for the interview?
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 3:47 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Just checking, but that evidence for the I-134 should be sufficient, right?
In my opinion, yes.

Also, is that all the documentation I need to send her for the rest of the process? Will she need my birth certificate or SS card or anything of that sort for the interview?
It won't hurt to send a photocopy of proof that you're a USC along with the I-134, just in case there's any question (there shouldn't be, as the I-129F wouldn't have gotten approved if you weren't one).

No need to send a copy of your SS card.

Rene
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 5:11 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Note that K visas are processed by the Immigrant Visa Unit, not by the Nonimmigrant Visa Unit. The IVU may have limitations also, but I don't think the message you are quoting here applies to you.

Regards, JEff

Also, when looking at the embassy website I saw this message:
Nonimmigrant visa services will be limited during the period July through to the end of August 2012. Travelers requiring visas are, therefore, advised to apply early to avoid disappointment. The appointment calendar is open through until the end of August. If you have plans to travel during the summer, book now as appointment availability cannot be guaranteed. Our call center is open Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 am and 9:00 pm and on Saturday between 9:00 am and 4:00 pm.

Old Jul 23rd 2012, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Note that K visas are processed by the Immigrant Visa Unit, not by the Nonimmigrant Visa Unit. The IVU may have limitations also, but I don't think the message you are quoting here applies to you.

Regards, JEff
A glimmer of hope! Thank you for that bit of info. I thought K visas were classed as non-immigrant visas... but then I was confused when they show up on the embassy site under immigrant visas. I get the idea that Marriage based visas are a very special breed. Haha
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 5:23 am

A glimmer of hope! Thank you for that bit of info. I thought K visas were classed as non-immigrant visas... but then I was confused when they show up on the embassy site under immigrant visas. I get the idea that Marriage based visas are a very special breed. Haha
K visas are non-immigrant visas. However, they are process as if they were immigrant visas. Clear as mud, right? LOL

Rene
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 5:31 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The K visas are a special breed. Marriage-based immigrant visas are no different from other family-based immigrant visas (other than that some family-based categories have annual quotas for the number of visas that can be issued).

Regards, JEff

I get the idea that Marriage based visas are a very special breed.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

My fiancee got her letter from the embassy today. No packet, just a letter with directions to a website for the forms, with a bit of a "checklist" in he letter, but things do not make a ton of sense. The link leads here: http://london.usembassy.gov/iv_15.html

On the DS-156, question 2... "Place of issuance" Does this refer to the passport (from question 1)? As for "place of issuance", where the heck would that be, specifically? She's from the Newcastle area, if that makes any difference.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 3:33 pm

Let's assume for the sake of discussion that it does not refer to the passpor. What else might it reasonably refer to?
On the DS-156, question 2... "Place of issuance" Does this refer to the passport (from question 1)?

The passport itself doesn't provide that information?
As for "place of issuance", where the heck would that be, specifically? She's from the Newcastle area, if that makes any difference.
Regards, JEff
Old Jul 28th 2012, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Let's assume for the sake of discussion that it does not refer to the passpor. What else might it reasonably refer to?
The visa? It doesn't make as much sense, but it could stand to be asked a tiny bit clearer. Working in government makes you question other government forms. That I can tell you... I am assuming it refers to the passport, but this matter isn't something we want to make assumptions about.

The passport itself doesn't provide that information?
I'll have her check. Should it? Again, this is assuming we're talking about passports and not whimsical potatoes or something :P
Old Jul 28th 2012, 4:59 pm

The visa? It doesn't make as much sense, but it could stand to be asked a tiny bit clearer. Working in government makes you question other government forms. That I can tell you... I am assuming it refers to the passport, but this matter isn't something we want to make assumptions about.
Yes, it refers to the passport. It can't refer to the visa, because you don't have the visa yet.

I'll have her check. Should it? Again, this is assuming we're talking about passports and not whimsical potatoes or something :P
I don't know about UK passports, but US passport state place of issue. If her passport doesn't state where it was issued, and she really has NO idea, she can put "unknown".

Rene
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:06 am

What visa might that be?

Regards, JEff

The visa?
Old Jul 30th 2012, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Here I go again...
I hope I didn't screw up. I just mailed off the I-134 stuff. I had it in my head that the only thing that needed to be an original was the I-134 itself, for an original signature.
I was doing searches on this, and found several posts that mentioned not only including originals of the evidence, but also having the signature notarized. So, of course this has me worried I just blew $16.95 in postage on useless documents.

I included two sets of the following. All are black and white copies except for the I-134 and I-134 note, which I included two signed originals of.

-Original completed signed and dated I-134
-Original signed and dated I-134 note regarding item 7 (using checking as a savings account, mentioned earlier)
- Transcripts of 2009, 2010, 2011 Tax returns
- 2011 W-2 and 1099s
- letter from employer
- letters from both financial institutions I have money in noting when account was opened, total deposits for past year, and current balances
- electronic check stubs for all of 2012

I also included copies of the 797 (NOA2) letter, letter from the NVC, my birth certificate, and copies of letters she has mailed me (proof of ongoing relationship)

Will this be sufficient and/or overkill?
Also, I just looked... the I-134 directions say "Evidence should consist of copies of any of the documents listed below that applies to your situation" as well as a blurb about it being under penalty of perjury, so it does not need to be notarized... so I should be fine... right? Where did this come from anyway??

I did only sign with my first and last name... should I resend her ones with a signature that includes my middle name as well? It's not something I'm used to, so I didn't even think about it.

Rene and Jeff (and anyone else who has given assistance), I can't thank you enough for all the help you have provided me. I'm sure this won't be my last question, but I just wanted to say, I sincerely appreciate your time and assistance.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 6:35 am

The I-134 does not need to be notarized. You were correct in sending an original I-134 and photocopies of evidence.

Sounds like you did it all correctly to me.

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.