Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Skil Bill Introduced in House

Skil Bill Introduced in House

Old Jun 30th 2006, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Andrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to all
Exclamation Skil Bill Introduced in House

The “SKIL Bill” was recently introduced by Representative John Shadegg (R-AZ) to reform both the H-1B visa and employment based (EB visa) green card processes. The legislation is co-sponsored by Representatives John Campbell (R-CA), K. Michael Conaway (R-TX), John T. Doolittle (R-CA), Jeff Flake (R-AZ), Peter Hoekstra (R-MI), Michael McCaul (R-TX), Mike Pence (R-IN), John Shimkus (R-IL) and Todd Tiahrt (R-KS). A companion measure, S. 2691, was introduced last month by Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) in the Senate.

Among the provisions of the SKIL Bill (Securing Knowledge Innovation and Leadership) endorsed by Compete America are the following:

* Exemptions for U.S. educated foreign workers with master’s or higher degrees from the H-1B and EB green card quotas;

* Creation of a flexible, market-based H-1B cap so that U.S. employers are not locked out of hiring critical talent for over a year at a time;
Extension of foreign students’ post curricular optional practical training from 12 months to 24 months;

* Exemptions for EB green card immigrant spouses and children from the annual cap, thereby making more numbers available to primary applicants.

The introduction of the SKIL Bill hopefully brings Congress one step closer to enacting a solution to lingering H-1B and EB green card number problems.

Regards,

Andrew M. Wilson, Esq.
Serotte Reich Wilson, LLP
[email protected]
www.srwlawyers.com
www.h-1b.squarespace.com
Old Jun 30th 2006, 2:45 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skil Bill Introduced in House

Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson
The “SKIL Bill” was recently introduced by Representative John Shadegg (R-AZ) to reform both the H-1B visa and employment based (EB visa) green card processes. The legislation is co-sponsored by Representatives John Campbell (R-CA), K. Michael Conaway (R-TX), John T. Doolittle (R-CA), Jeff Flake (R-AZ), Peter Hoekstra (R-MI), Michael McCaul (R-TX), Mike Pence (R-IN), John Shimkus (R-IL) and Todd Tiahrt (R-KS). A companion measure, S. 2691, was introduced last month by Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) in the Senate.

Among the provisions of the SKIL Bill (Securing Knowledge Innovation and Leadership) endorsed by Compete America are the following:

* Exemptions for U.S. educated foreign workers with master’s or higher degrees from the H-1B and EB green card quotas;

* Creation of a flexible, market-based H-1B cap so that U.S. employers are not locked out of hiring critical talent for over a year at a time;
Extension of foreign students’ post curricular optional practical training from 12 months to 24 months;

* Exemptions for EB green card immigrant spouses and children from the annual cap, thereby making more numbers available to primary applicants.

The introduction of the SKIL Bill hopefully brings Congress one step closer to enacting a solution to lingering H-1B and EB green card number problems.

Regards,

Andrew M. Wilson, Esq.
[email protected]
www.srwlawyers.com
www.h-1b.squarespace.com

Is there no provision in this bill for allowing H4s to apply for an EAD?

If not, it's a bloody scandal...
Old Jun 30th 2006, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Andrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to all

Elvira,

I have not heard of a push to allow H-4s to obtaiun EADs like the spouses of Ls and Es.

I am not sure how they distinsguish the posues of L/Es from H-1Bs, but H-4s are getting the raw deal on that one.

Regards,

Andrew M. Wilson, Esq.
[email protected]
www.srwlawyers.com
www.h-1b.squarespace.com

Originally Posted by Elvira

Old Jun 30th 2006, 5:06 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

agreed.

It needs sorting, my OH is slowly going barking mad (well more so anyway)
Old Jun 30th 2006, 6:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not have any particular views on the issue, but wondered why 'reform' seems to be always associated with increasing immigrant numbers?

Does it mean something different in American than English?

You missed out the word "comprehensive".

Actually I do have a view, many/most? of the H's seem to be issued to those with primary immigration intent (well all the people I personally know do).

To me it would make more sense to have one GC category for those intending to stay and one temporary category for those intending a short term. I do not like the 'bondage' aspect of the current system.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 7:43 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
To me it would make more sense to have one GC category for those intending to stay and one temporary category for those intending a short term.
Quite.

My husband - a tenured (!) professor and a well-known authority in his field - had to go through the same H1b etc nonsense as 20-something post doc IT professionals from India. It was a foregone conclusion that he would stay, but it still took over 4 years to get the GC...
Old Jun 30th 2006, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Even I am shocked/surprised at some of the complexity, delays and procedures under immigration law.

Andrew M. Wilson, Esq.
[email protected]
www.srwlawyers.com
www.h-1b.squarespace.com

Quite.

My husband - a tenured (!) professor and a well-known authority in his field - had to go through the same H1b etc nonsense as 20-something post doc IT professionals from India. It was a foregone conclusion that he would stay, but it still took over 4 years to get the GC...