Reload this Page >

Simple caution possession class A drug & Green Card Visa

Simple caution possession class A drug & Green Card Visa

Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Britwife101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Simple caution possession class A drug & Green Card Visa

Thanks again all!
I moved to UK to work. We met in Liverpool. We got married in April, I moved back to USA in mid-april, my husband came along with me for a bit and then went back to UK.
My petition for his visa application was approved and he only recently received his case number.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:52 pm
Conditional Resident

Mangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond repute

Before you give up all hope, why not wait and see what is actually on the police certificate you receive, if it's no trace you better thanks the gods
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It's good that you've already experienced life in the UK, as it sounds like that's where you'll be living.

Rene
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Rene. My thoughts exactly, CS. and G. It is easy to understand why someone would give the arrest and subsequent caution another thought. It does seem so inconsequential from a British point of view and if were to happen here in the US, it probably would have been a none thought in applying for a visa to visit a country that required a USC to either need a visa or something like the ESTA.

Perhaps sometime in the future the immigration laws will change when it comes to this type of 'problem', i.e. cautions for small amounts of personal use drugs.

I often wonder just how many immigrants who know about the need for the ACRO report have crossed the border and applied for adjustment of status based on marriage to a USC spontaneously since getting an ACRO report is not a requirement if adjusting status inside the US in this manner. For me the threat of one day this being known to the USCIS and of being stripped of my PR status and deported would be enough to make me NOT do this.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No loophole, I was just curious. I'm guessing on an ESTA visit in the USA, and since he could visit, they thought he could immigrate. I'm also curious whether she knew about the drug offense before they got married and thought about immigrating. Just wondering why this is coming up now, halfway into the visa process, instead of at the time of marriage and planning a life together.

Rene
Originally Posted by civilservant
There isn't a loophole I am aware of based on the location/country of marriage. The only way he could immigrate is if he was already a USC - which would obviously mean he was returning home rather than immigrating.

As to the ESTA - he should never have got one. Answering yes to the drug conviction would have been a denial. I wonder if it was declared if he did in fact visit the US?

Last edited by Rete; Jul 4th 2016 at 4:55 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mangaboy84
Before you give up all hope, why not wait and see what is actually on the police certificate you receive, if it's no trace you better thanks the gods
Why does that matter? The arrest will still be declared in the visa application.

Rene
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britwife101
I moved back to USA in mid-april, my husband came along with me for a bit and then went back to UK.
Respectfully, I suggest you make plans to return to the UK. While he is unable to get an immigrant visa for the US, he can still sponsor you for an immigrant visa for the UK.

My petition for his visa application was approved and he only recently received his case number.
An approved petition means only that he's is now eligible to apply for an immigrant visa. However, when the time comes for his interview, the visa will be denied... and at that point in time, it's game over.

Please understand that while we are sympathetic to your situation, there is nothing that can be done to undo what has already been done. US immigration is most unforgiving in these situations. Sorry!

Ian
Old Jul 4th 2016, 5:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

His thread in the immigration forum said it showed up on his ACRO. Would you be suggesting that if it hadn't shown up that he should lie about it when continuing the visa process? Clearly that would be a case of intentional misrepresentation.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

With respect, the offense must be declared on the visa application - regardless of what shows up on the police certificate. Please don't try to sugarcoat this sad situation with your own ignorance.

Ian
Old Jul 4th 2016, 5:57 pm
Conditional Resident

Mangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond repute

Hadn't seen the 2nd thread so was under the impression they didn't have it from ops opening post and without that would have just been guess work knowing if the caution had been formally recorded or was just a verbal don't do it again caution
Old Jul 4th 2016, 6:04 pm

Hadn't seen the 2nd thread so was under the impression they didn't have it from ops opening post and without that would have just been guess work knowing if the caution had been formally recorded or was just a verbal don't do it again caution
He was arrested. That's what matters.

Rene
Old Jul 4th 2016, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I hve seen quite a fe similar cases, no waiver available.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't matter. It still has to be declared. You are suggesting that it doesn't or could be concealed, which is not only highly illegal (and therefore not acceptable on this site) leading to the risk of never being allowed in, even for a visit or worse.

Please consider the consequences of your replies in future. Thanks.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 6:59 pm
Conditional Resident

Originally Posted by Guindalf

Please consider the consequences of your replies in future. Thanks.
I'm sorry and I will
Old Jul 4th 2016, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
I'm by no means an expert at all but there is a form on the USCIS website (I did a quick google and I couldn't find it but I'm sure you will) and it lists what you can get a waiver for and what you can't. Class A drugs are listed as something a waiver cannot be obtained for. You can get a waiver for many things - Class A drug offences are not one of them. I'll try and find the document for you.
I've struggled to find one in the revised FAM, but the following link from another source contains the exact same information:

Grounds of Inadmissibility and Immigration Waivers Chart

To the OP, please take a look at the link above. It indeed shows that, sadly for you and your husband's circumstances, he cannot ever qualify for an immigrant visa having committed an offence of possessing cocaine.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Britwife101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for this, but what about this:

Controlled Substance Violators
(INA 212(a)(2)(A)(i)(II));
(9 FAM 40.21(b)) INA 212(d)(3)(A) waiver is available.
Factors to consider in deciding whether to recommend the waiver include the nature and date of the offense, possible rehabilitation of the alien’s character, and the necessity for, or urgency of, the alien’s proposed trip to the United States.

This seems different to code INA (212) (h), which is limited to marijuana?

Originally Posted by materialcontroller

I've struggled to find one in the revised FAM, but the following link from another source contains the exact same information:

Grounds of Inadmissibility and Immigration Waivers Chart

To the OP, please take a look at the link above. It indeed shows that, sadly for you and your husband's circumstances, he cannot ever qualify for an immigrant visa having committed an offence of possessing cocaine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.