Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Simple caution possession class A drug & Green Card Visa

Simple caution possession class A drug & Green Card Visa

Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:14 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Simple caution possession class A drug & Green Card Visa

Originally Posted by Britwife101
Can i please ask what your experience and opinion is on this matter?
My experience is I can read the Immigrant and Naturalization Act. Also, I can understand and interpret written English.

Not to mention I have been on this forum for around 6 years and have seen these cases on this board before.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Britwife101 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have a life in the UK, i'm back in USA. I have a job here, my family. Can they really keep us apart?
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:17 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a life in the UK, i'm back in USA. I have a job here, my family. Can they really keep us apart?
They most certainly can keep him from immigrating to the US, and they will. There is NO WAIVER available for his crime. The law is the law, as passed by Congress.

I know this seems unreal, and of course if you want to talk to a lawyer than I would advise you to do so, but what we are saying is correct.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:18 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately yes, US immigration isn't interested in your situation and what you want, they have a set of rules and they, by law, have to stick to them.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

It can't be that every immigrant to this country has a sparkling clean police history?
Correct - but, as you've already read, the US is pretty draconian when it comes to drug offenses.

He had much less than 1g.
Since it's not marijuana, the amount is irrelevant.

I understand that for the purposes of US law, its seen as a crime, but is there nothing to be done?
No.

No waivers...
No.

... no legal advise to be sought?
An attorney won't be able to change the law.

Can i please ask what your experience and opinion is on this matter?
I've been following immigration forums for close to 20 years now. Unless it's for 30g or less of marijuana, there are no waivers available for an immigrant visa where a drug offense is involved. End of story. Full stop.

Can they really keep us apart?
So long as the plan is to live together in the US - yes, they can.

Ian
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm by no means an expert at all but there is a form on the USCIS website (I did a quick google and I couldn't find it but I'm sure you will) and it lists what you can get a waiver for and what you can't. Class A drugs are listed as something a waiver cannot be obtained for. You can get a waiver for many things - Class A drug offences are not one of them. I'll try and find the document for you.
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry that the experts have had to give you that sad information. I can say if only it was marijuana, but it wasn't and saying it doesn't help. We make mistakes in ours lives that we don't foresee the long term consequences of for the future.

You both face some hard decisions at this moment. I understand from his posting in the immigration and visa forum that he is on the second part of the visa process. What is he planning to do at this point? I hope that you decide to make the UK your home. It is difficult to be without family and the familiar when it is that you truly don't want to be away from them and it. At least you have the opportunity to make a new life with your husband in a country where at least the lifestyle is similar to what you are familiar with and the language is almost "the same". Best of luck to you and your husband.

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Where did you get married?

Rene
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Where did you get married?

Rene
Curious as to why that matters, Rene. Don't think there is a loophole or is there?
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No loophole, I was just curious. I'm guessing on an ESTA visit in the USA, and since he could visit, they thought he could immigrate. I'm also curious whether she knew about the drug offense before they got married and thought about immigrating. Just wondering why this is coming up now, halfway into the visa process, instead of at the time of marriage and planning a life together.

Rene
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:19 pm
Often not so civil...

There isn't a loophole I am aware of based on the location/country of marriage. The only way he could immigrate is if he was already a USC - which would obviously mean he was returning home rather than immigrating.

As to the ESTA - he should never have got one. Answering yes to the drug conviction would have been a denial. I wonder if it was declared if he did in fact visit the US?

Last edited by civilservant; Jul 4th 2016 at 4:25 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:25 pm

That's why I was curious.

Rene
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I I had to make a (semi-educated) guess, I'm would bet that the thought process was along the lines of...

It was only a caution, therefore it probably won't show up on the police ACRO, so if we don't mention it, it won't be a problem; or...

It's not a big deal, so there's no need to even worry about it; or...

If we don't tell them, they'll never know.

As we all know, none of these options are correct and they are in the position they are now. The advice of making a life in the UK is good. Or, of course, anywhere else in Europe (unless borders are closed following last week's vote!!!!).
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:33 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No loophole, I was just curious. I'm guessing on an ESTA visit in the USA, and since he could visit, they thought he could immigrate. I'm also curious whether she knew about the drug offense before they got married and thought about immigrating. Just wondering why this is coming up now, halfway into the visa process, instead of at the time of marriage and planning a life together.

Rene

In the other thread, the OH said they had been together three years and "she has moved back to New York," so perhaps their time together has been in the UK (maybe the OP studied there?).
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:47 pm

Thanks Nutmegger, I didn't see the other thread.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.