Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

RFE AOS, Medical - need help

RFE AOS, Medical - need help

Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light
Default RFE AOS, Medical - need help

Hi everyone,

I would appreciate any help on this one. I have done some searches on here for it, but haven't been able to find anything that really helps me.

Yesterday I recieved a RFE with regards to my I-485 form, AOS:

"Please submit a properly completed Supplemental Form to I-693, Adujstment of Status Applicant's Documentation of Immunization." Etc, etc.

Now I have probably screwed up here - but I don't have anything from the Nuffield center in Birmingham saying I had my vaccinations done there, which I did. I assumed (I know, don't assume anything) that everything was in my sealed envelope that I handed over at POE in JFK. All I have from Nuffield is an invoice with the total amount that I paid them (£179) and a reciept.

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what I should do?

I obviously don't want to get the vaccinations again (that can't be good for me can it?), and I don't really want to pay for them twice.

Am I right in assuming that this RFE is to get an approved Doctor just to sign a form saying I have had the immunizations?

Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

Matt
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:30 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RFE AOS, Medical - need help

Originally Posted by ukmancoll
Hi everyone,

I would appreciate any help on this one. I have done some searches on here for it, but haven't been able to find anything that really helps me.

Yesterday I recieved a RFE with regards to my I-485 form, AOS:

"Please submit a properly completed Supplemental Form to I-693, Adujstment of Status Applicant's Documentation of Immunization." Etc, etc.

Now I have probably screwed up here - but I don't have anything from the Nuffield center in Birmingham saying I had my vaccinations done there, which I did. I assumed (I know, don't assume anything) that everything was in my sealed envelope that I handed over at POE in JFK. All I have from Nuffield is an invoice with the total amount that I paid them (£179) and a reciept.

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what I should do?

I obviously don't want to get the vaccinations again (that can't be good for me can it?), and I don't really want to pay for them twice.

Am I right in assuming that this RFE is to get an approved Doctor just to sign a form saying I have had the immunizations?

Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

Matt
Matt, the filing of the AOS (I-485 submission) through the Chicago Lock Box is relatively new for some parts of the country, and it seems many are getting stung for not including the vacc. supp. with the filing. Not really that big of a deal and this can be corrected fairly easily.

Collect any records of vaccinations you have received over your lifetime (including any obtained during a recent visa interview) and take those records with you (along with a blank Supplemental Form To I-693) to your local CIS approved physician and have the Dr. give you the vaccinations you still need, and sign off on the vaccinations you have already had (plus, if your unique situation indicates to the Dr. that receiving a given vaccination is not in your medical interests, that particular vaccination can be waived but only the Dr. can make that determination). My guess is that most CIS approved doctors will charge some sort of fee to do this for you (even if it is limited to simply filling out the form with no additional vaccinations required).

Good luck.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:37 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

As Matt said, try to gather as much info as you can to prove what vaccinations you DID have already. Take that in to one of the approved civil surgeons in your area. To my knowledge, the civil surgeon provides the correct form. The only thing is to stand firm and not let them do a whole new "medical", as many try to do. Keep repeating that you ONLY need a vaccination supplement signed, since you had your medical in order to receive your visa.

Also, I think you can get any vaccinations you might still need, at a different doctor (maybe one on your insurance plan), and take that proof to the civil surgeon.

And yes, there will be some kind of fee for the doc filling out the form. Call around, as their fees vary. Here in Phoenix, we paid $110 for the office visit and the doc's signature. Make sure you get the form back from the doctor in a sealed envelope...and if you want a photocopy, ask for one before they seal the envelope.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:57 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The only thing is to stand firm and not let them do a whole new "medical", as many try to do. Keep repeating that you ONLY need a vaccination supplement signed, since you had your medical in order to receive your visa.
That's true for a K-1/K-2 entrant who underwent a medical exam (and I'm assuming the OP entered with a K-1), but not true for someone who entered with say, a tourist visa and is now filing the I-485 based on marriage to a U.S. citizen.

I agree with you that many doctors want to administer a new medical exam in conjunction with administering the vaccinations, and it ticks me off when I hear about this. My guess (and its only a guess) is that a majority of the patients coming to them did "not" have a medical exam given in conjunction with obtaining a visa (for example, someone who obtains and enters with a tourist visa) so they are not used to dealing with K-1/K-2 entrants.

One of my clients (we just recently filed their AOS submissions - K-1/K-2 entrants) ran into this problem, so I called the doctors office and set them straight. After my call they gave my clients the vaccinations only, filled out the vacc. supp. form, and for a good price too (and the woman I spoke with on the phone apologized for their mistake).
Old Sep 29th 2005, 4:02 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Matt,

True also for K3/K4 entrants?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
That's true for a K-1/K-2 entrant who underwent a medical exam (and I'm assuming the OP entered with a K-1), but not true for someone who entered with say, a tourist visa and is now filing the I-485 based on marriage to a U.S. citizen.

Old Sep 29th 2005, 4:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My guess (and its only a guess) is that a majority of the patients coming to them did "not" have a medical exam given in conjunction with obtaining a visa (for example, someone who obtains and enters with a tourist visa) so they are not used to dealing with K-1/K-2 entrants.
Hi Matt,

I agree with your guess. When Sadegh had his done, I really had to do some convincing. They finally shrugged and said OK, if you say so....but we've never seen one of these before. Everyone who has come into their office had a full medical done for immigration purposes. Evidently we were the first to only request the vaccination supplement! (or at least the first to argue enough to get out of the full medical. lol)

Rene
Old Sep 29th 2005, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you, I really appreciate everyone's help.

My only problem though is that I don't have anything from the Nuffield to say I had those vaccinations with them. I specifically had all my vaccincations at the time of my K1 medical, so I wouldn't have to worry about this now. I don't have any proof or record of any vaccinations (except for something I found last night, but is from when I was a baby).

Like I said in my original posting, I thought everything was in the sealed envelope I handed over at POE in JFK.

Maybe my next step should be contact Nuffield Hospital in the UK to see if I can get somekind of record sent to me ASAP?
Old Sep 29th 2005, 4:16 am

Maybe my next step should be contact Nuffield Hospital in the UK to see if I can get somekind of record sent to me ASAP?
That's what I would do! Maybe they can fax or email you something...I hope!

Rene
Old Sep 29th 2005, 4:16 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Matt,

The anecdotal evidence is that some K-visa people are also getting stung by the Chicago folks for the whole I-693 exam report, not just the vaccination supplement. How would you recommend that an RFE for that be answered?

Going back to the I-693 vaccination supplement,
- if the applicant included a copy of the DS-3025 vaccination worksheet with their I-485, and
- if the DS-3025 indicates that all required vaccinations are complete (have been given or are medically inappropriate)
is the USCIS correct in demanding an I-693 vaccination supplement in addition?

Perhaps this is another issue where it's easier to comply than to argue the point? My sense is that because a completed vaccination record is not required for a K visa, USCIS tends to assume that it is not complete and acts accordingly, and is often unable to recognize that for many K-visa people their vaccinations are complete.

Regards, JEff

Matt, the filing of the AOS (I-485 submission) through the Chicago Lock Box is relatively new for some parts of the country, and it seems many are getting stung for not including the vacc. supp. with the filing. Not really that big of a deal and this can be corrected fairly easily.

Good luck.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 4:19 am
Banned

Sounds like a good idea. That would probably be faster than a FOIA request.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 4:20 am

ukman,

Too late for you now, but for those who are not there yet one really needs to be looking ahead at what is to come and ask for a photocopy of the DS-3025 vaccination worksheet at the time of visa medical exam.

Regards, JEff

Thank you, I really appreciate everyone's help.

My only problem though is that I don't have anything from the Nuffield to say I had those vaccinations with them. I specifically had all my vaccincations at the time of my K1 medical, so I wouldn't have to worry about this now. I don't have any proof or record of any vaccinations (except for something I found last night, but is from when I was a baby).

Like I said in my original posting, I thought everything was in the sealed envelope I handed over at POE in JFK.

Old Sep 29th 2005, 4:37 am
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
ukman,

Too late for you now, but for those who are not there yet one really needs to be looking ahead at what is to come and ask for a photocopy of the DS-3025 vaccination worksheet at the time of visa medical exam.

Regards, JEff
I had my medical at Dr. Phelan's in London, and the staff there do give you a copy of DS-3025 when you leave (I had to use it when I received an RFE for the I-693 supplement). But since the Nuffield is relatively new in terms of carrying out visa medicals, anybody having their medical done there should definitely make sure that they don't leave without a copy of DS-3025.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

I have the number for the US Medical people at the Nuffield hospital in Birmingham, but they are closed now (damn that time difference). I will call them tomorrow first thing. I am hoping they can fax me something. If so, everything should be sorted.

I'll let you know what happens. Thanks guys.

Matt

PS - I agree with Jeff, anyone having their medicals now should be asking for a copy of their vaccinations, if they have them done.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 4:39 am
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold

yes, I am sure the place you had the vaccinations done kept a record.. I had some heb b shots done and when I started this process I went back and had them fill in my little yellow card... same with my other doctor. she checked my records and filled in the card.

hope that helps.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 5:26 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJ_Dave
I had my medical at Dr. Phelan's in London, and the staff there do give you a copy of DS-3025 when you leave (I had to use it when I received an RFE for the I-693 supplement).
I just wanted to chime in real quick and say that I went to Dr. Phelan's office, but they did NOT give me a copy of the DS-3025. So yes, if you are yet to take care of this make sure you ask them for a copy so you don't have the trouble later on down the road.