Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

RFE on AOS and EAD : My Experiences, Check if you've been in a similar situation...

RFE on AOS and EAD : My Experiences, Check if you've been in a similar situation...

Old May 1st 2006, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

BigWinston is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation RFE on AOS and EAD : My Experiences, Check if you've been in a similar situation...

Hi There,

So, incase you haven't read any posts concerning my situation, I'll briefly run through it again as the information I have may be useful for people in a similar position.

* My NOA receipt dates is 30th Jan 06.
* I received an RFE on my AOS at the end of Feb (28th I think) - the RFE was due to not all requested spousal tax information sent.
* My lawyer hadn't informed me of RFE for 2 weeks after he received it
* As soon as I found out, the information for the RFE was sent back and I gave my lawyer a damn good verbal beating! mad.gif biggrin.gif
* Got an RFE receipt date of 6th April (received on 10th April)
* At around the same time, I also received my biometrics appt letter - appt. for 26th April
* 26th April - Went for bio appt. at an ASC. No problems.
* Also arranged for an infopass appointment for the 1st May... Just in case.
* Didn't have any post biometrics updates so went down for infopass appt. (DETROIT OFFICE - 1st May)
* Explained my position to an immigration officer - did not mention my RFE. Asked me if I had been working, haven't so said No. She asked me if I needed an interim card. Said Yes, then when she went to do the paperwork for the card, noticed my EAD had already been sent for printing, so was told she couldn't issue me the card, but I should receive my proper one very soon.

I really think that she was prepared to give me the interim EAD, until she noticed that my proper one had already been sent for printing. With all of the timing, I really can't say if my AOS RFE affected my EAD processing. Sure, several people with receipt dates around mine got their cards a few weeks back, however looking at this site, there appear to be a lot of people with similar dates to mine who did not have an RFE on their AOS, and the average time being over 90 days at the moment - and I have seen a lot who are between 90 and 110 days (seems to be I fall in that category). See here for more statisitcs.

However, I do think it's no coincidence that around a day after receiving my RFE response receipt, I also received my biometrics appointment letter. Since that everything seemed to progress as normal, however I have not received any online updates for a while, although the officer told me the card is sent to be printed.

It seems as if a lot of people do not get approval emails, or 'card mailed' emails.

I hope this information is comforting to people in the same position as I have been in. I know I have been stressed and anxious for ages now and hopefully that will end soon! Although I feel much better after my infopass appointment, I will still remain a little anxious until I actually have my card in my hand!

I guess my advice is, if you have an RFE, arrange for an infopass appointment and try and get an iEAD asap. It seemed to me I would be granted one were my card not already sent for processing. I would also arrange for an infopass appointment 4 or 5 days after having your bio appt, even if still within the 90 day period. It can't hurt and you may get some information that isn't available to you online.

Also, a bit of information for everyone: The office commented that after biometrics that unless you have some exceptional circumstances you will receive your card within one month maximum.

I guess my only question is, what is the lead time between your card getting sent for processing, and it arriving in you mailbox?

Cheers!

Ben