Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Questions regarding Social Security # for Finance

Questions regarding Social Security # for Finance

Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

farhan will become famous soon enough
Default Questions regarding Social Security # for Finance

We will be going to SSN office tomorrow to get SSN# for my finance - there are couple of different kind of SSN cards:

1. One that allows to work
2. Other that doesn't

Off course, we will like #1 - how will we prove that she is allowed to work in US with K1 Visa (if there is such thing)?

<P.S.: We are getting married tomorrow too>
Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:27 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Questions regarding Social Security # for Finance

Originally posted by farhan
We will be going to SSN office tomorrow to get SSN# for my finance - there are couple of different kind of SSN cards:

2. Other that doesn't

Off course, we will like #1 - how will we prove that she is allowed to work in US with K1 Visa (if there is such thing)?

I took my passport with my temporary employment authorization stamp in it and showed them that. They took my SS application form and said that I wasn't updated in the SAVE system yet, though, so I still had to wait a month for my number. There is also an SS memo floating around somewhere that states K1's are allowed to work, but I don't know how useful that would be if you don't have a temporary EAD.

Kate. xxxxx
Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:49 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions regarding Social Security # for Finance

farhan,

The SSA does not determine whether or not an immigrant can work, the CIS does that.

As a K-1 entrant, until your wife becomes a Permanent Resident the SSA will (should, anyway - they sometimes make a mistake) give her a SS card that has a notation that she needs employment authorization in order to work.

Her I-94 should provide suitable evidence that she is a K-1 - as long as she is within the 'window of opportunity' that K-1 status provides. Simplistically stated, the K-1 window is from roughly 14 days after entry (to allow time for the CIS to enter her inforformation in the SAVE database) until 76 days after entry. After that window has closed, the SSA will require that she have an EAD before they will issue a SSC.

Search for posts by Michael D. Young for a more comprehensive explanation.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by farhan

2. Other that doesn't