Reload this Page >

nigeria, police certificate etc :confused:

nigeria, police certificate etc :confused:

Old Jan 4th 2004, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

ruthann1212 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default nigeria, police certificate etc :confused:

Hi guys,

Happy New Year! It's been wonderful to see all of the approvals and arrivals this past month. I'm happy for all of you!

After searching the archives, I'm still a little confused about some of the process. Can anyone lead me by the hand on a few things?

Even though we have not received our 2nd NOA yet, I'm sure we could be gathering some of the documents he'll need for his interview ahead of time. I'm just not sure what they are.

I read somewhere that police cert. could have an expiration date and not to get them prior to receiving your packet. Is this true? I just read on this board today that we could maybe start the process now???

What about the forms, that I the USC have to provide, do I have to wait for the packet? Can I just down load some i.e. affi. of support. and send them to my husband ahead of time? The mail is terrible in Nigeria. (I'm still waiting for a letter sent back in NOV!)

I would just like to know what we can be working on ahead of time from his end and from mine.

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Blessings
Ruthann

Married in Nigeria 9/20/03
1-130 1st NOA 11/6/03
1-129F 1st NOA 11/19/03
Old Jan 4th 2004, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

DaGeek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: nigeria, police certificate etc :confused:

l
RuthAnn1212:

You guys should wait till your husband picks up his packet 3 from the consulate in Lagos. There's usually a document in there that he takes to the police headquarters in order to process his police report. Basically, the police prefers to know what the report is being requested for. I suppose he could go get it before his interview is scheduled, but that's taking unnecessary risk since he can get the report within a few days of asking for it. You don't want to have to try to renew an expired police report . . . .

Yes, you can download the I134, DS256 . . . . and fill 'em out in advance. Note that you husband should not wait to be mailed the packet 3. As soon as you can verify from NVC that they have sent
his file to Lagos; and from Lagos that they have indeed received it (you can communicate with Lagos via email), he should go to the consulate with copies of your NOA2, letter from NVC and/or the email from the consulate confirming receipt of your file. They'll provide him the packet 3 and schedule an interview same day.

Best of luck.

DG

Originally posted by ruthann1212
Hi guys,

Happy New Year! It's been wonderful to see all of the approvals and arrivals this past month. I'm happy for all of you!

After searching the archives, I'm still a little confused about some of the process. Can anyone lead me by the hand on a few things?

Even though we have not received our 2nd NOA yet, I'm sure we could be gathering some of the documents he'll need for his interview ahead of time. I'm just not sure what they are.

I read somewhere that police cert. could have an expiration date and not to get them prior to receiving your packet. Is this true? I just read on this board today that we could maybe start the process now???

What about the forms, that I the USC have to provide, do I have to wait for the packet? Can I just down load some i.e. affi. of support. and send them to my husband ahead of time? The mail is terrible in Nigeria. (I'm still waiting for a letter sent back in NOV!)

I would just like to know what we can be working on ahead of time from his end and from mine.

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Blessings
Ruthann

Married in Nigeria 9/20/03
1-130 1st NOA 11/6/03
1-129F 1st NOA 11/19/03
Old Jan 5th 2004, 10:53 am
Eric S.

See here for list of forms you'll probably need. Each consulate has
slightly different requirements.
http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1faq.htm#12.2

You can download the I-134 from here:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/index.htm. You can certainly get
started on getting the info needed for that. Letter from employer and bank,
etc.

Download the DS forms from here: http://www.state.gov/m/a/dir/c4456.htm

The consulate may have different versions of the forms. (My fiance
interviewed in Spain. They sent her Spanish versions of the DS-230, DS-156,
DS-156K, and DS-157).

You might also check the web site of the consulate in Nigeria. It may give
information about what forms and info you'll need (birth certificate, police
certificate, etc).

Good luck.

- Eric S.

"ruthann1212" <member18684@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi guys,
    > Happy New Year! It's been wonderful to see all of the approvals and
    > arrivals this past month. I'm happy for all of you!
    > After searching the archives, I'm still a little confused about some of
    > the process. Can anyone lead me by the hand on a few things?
    > Even though we have not received our 2nd NOA yet, I'm sure we could be
    > gathering some of the documents he'll need for his interview ahead of
    > time. I'm just not sure what they are.
    > I read somewhere that police cert. could have an expiration date and not
    > to get them prior to receiving your packet. Is this true? I just read
    > on this board today that we could maybe start the process now???
    > What about the forms, that I the USC have to provide, do I have to wait
    > for the packet? Can I just down load some i.e. affi. of support. and
    > send them to my husband ahead of time? The mail is terrible in Nigeria.
    > (I'm still waiting for a letter sent back in NOV!)
    > I would just like to know what we can be working on ahead of time from
    > his end and from mine.
    > Thanks for the advice in advance!
    > Blessings
    > Ruthann
    > Married in Nigeria 9/20/03
    > 1-130 1st NOA 11/6/03
    > 1-129F 1st NOA 11/19/03
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jan 6th 2004, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

ruthann1212 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info. I was worried that he would have to wait for weeks to get the police cert. We will wait. Regarding the affidavit of Support, letter from my bank and employer. Can I send those now dated this early in the process? Since I have not way of knowing when his interview date or even month will be I'm not really sure when to start sending this stuff. I want to him to have them when he needs them, but not be expired. I fear that if he ends up with a May or June interview and has documents dated in January they may tell him they need to be more recent. What do you think?

Two other questions:

on the form ds156 question # 36 does this include this time or our they speaking of "prior"

one website indicated that my new husband will need my ORIGINAL divorce decree from my first marriage. I don't even have the original. The court house sent me a copy. Can you confirm the need for an ORIGINAL?
Thanks for your help. How is Mamus adjusting? Is this her first time in the states? Have you tried fufu before? I just made it for the first time on Sunday... YUCK... I can't wait for Sunny... He's a good cook, even fufu is decent when he makes it! ahahahah..

I noticed you only had a months wait between your first and second NOA.. lucky you!
Blessings,
Ruthann

Oh I thought of some more questions. Can you tell me what vaccines your wife had to have or show proof of?
When you sent documents back and forth to Nigeria what way was best for you? USPS, UPS etc.
Thanks again!

Originally posted by DaGeek
l
RuthAnn1212:

You guys should wait till your husband picks up his packet 3 from the consulate in Lagos. There's usually a document in there that he takes to the police headquarters in order to process his police report. Basically, the police prefers to know what the report is being requested for. I suppose he could go get it before his interview is scheduled, but that's taking unnecessary risk since he can get the report within a few days of asking for it. You don't want to have to try to renew an expired police report . . . .

Yes, you can download the I134, DS256 . . . . and fill 'em out in advance. Note that you husband should not wait to be mailed the packet 3. As soon as you can verify from NVC that they have sent
his file to Lagos; and from Lagos that they have indeed received it (you can communicate with Lagos via email), he should go to the consulate with copies of your NOA2, letter from NVC and/or the email from the consulate confirming receipt of your file. They'll provide him the packet 3 and schedule an interview same day.

Best of luck.

DG
Old Jan 6th 2004, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

DaGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll just stick some thoughts in the body of your prev post.

Originally posted by ruthann1212
Thanks for the info. I was worried that he would have to wait for weeks to get the police cert. We will wait.

This is the right thing to do.

Regarding the affidavit of Support, letter from my bank and employer. Can I send those now dated this early in the process? Since I have not way of knowing when his interview date or even month will be I'm not really sure when to start sending this stuff. I want to him to have them when he needs them, but not be expired. I fear that if he ends up with a May or June interview and has documents dated in January they may tell him they need to be more recent. What do you think?
When you deal with the US consulate in Nigeria, you have to be very detail-oriented and follow their instructions strictly (even if it doesn't make sense). I sent Mamus a thick binder containing all those documents via DHL courier (you can use UPS as well) about 6 weeks before her interview date. Here's a rough rule of the thumb: send all the documents as soon as you verify on-line approval for your I129F. This'll give Sunny enough time to get familiar with the contents. Do start assembling all the documents now . . download the forms and look them over.

Two other questions:

on the form ds156 question # 36 does this include this time or our they speaking of "prior"

one website indicated that my new husband will need my ORIGINAL divorce decree from my first marriage. I don't even have the original. The court house sent me a copy. Can you confirm the need for an ORIGINAL?
I think that the statement on question #36 refers strictly to what is on the form DS 156. Since Sunny is going to be the one signing this portion of the form, do I take it that he has made another visa application in the past? If that is the case, he should be truthful about this on question #29 and/or #31. You should emphasize to him that he has to be scrupulously truthful in his dealing with the Con-Offs.

Unfortunately, I can't offer any useful information on the subject of divorce decrees since it wasn't applicable in my specific case. I'll defer to others on that . . . .

Thanks for your help. How is Mamus adjusting? Is this her first time in the states? Have you tried fufu before? I just made it for the first time on Sunday... YUCK... I can't wait for Sunny... He's a good cook, even fufu is decent when he makes it! ahahahah..
You're more than welcome . . I had lots of help from others like JeffB, Omo, etc. during my time of preparation. Yes this is Mamu's first time here. She's having to adjust to a lot - the cold Winter, the culture and the people. She also gets homesick sometimes. On the whole, she's been doing pretty well.

Wow, so you made some fufu! Well, bravo!! It's good stuff to eat about once or twice a week (at least that's what I do )

I noticed you only had a months wait between your first and second NOA.. lucky you!
Those were the good old days before the NBC/MSC started taking on the case loads of other service centers.

Oh I thought of some more questions. Can you tell me what vaccines your wife had to have or show proof of?
When you sent documents back and forth to Nigeria what way was best for you? USPS, UPS etc.
Thanks again!
The consulate has specific Doctors/medical centers that Sunny has to do his tests at - they know all the vaccines and tests required. He'll take the medical report and X-ray jacket to the consulate on the day of his interview.

DHL is probably the best courier service for sending stuff to Nigeria. . . packages typically gets there within 1 week .I have also used UPS in the past, but found DHL to be better. Go to http://www.dhl.com to find your nearest location.

All the best to you and Sunny:

DG