Question for anyone

Old Jan 22nd 2003, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Indianapolis, Indiana headed for Nottinghamshire in May, 2012
Kady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question for anyone

We sent our petition for alien relative along with all the other papers to make up the packet to the Indianapolis INS branch on 1/13/03 certified mail. We received the green certified mail card back on 1/15 signed but haven't received anything from the INS saying they received the money orders or a NOA.

Does anyone know how long this takes? Looking at other people's timelines, it looks like they send this pretty quickly. Of course, we did have MLK holiday this past Monday.

Thanks in advance for any information on this matter.

Kady
Old Jan 22nd 2003, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question for anyone

Originally posted by Kady
We sent our petition for alien relative along with all the other papers to make up the packet to the Indianapolis INS branch on 1/13/03 certified mail. We received the green certified mail card back on 1/15 signed but haven't received anything from the INS saying they received the money orders or a NOA.

Does anyone know how long this takes? Looking at other people's timelines, it looks like they send this pretty quickly. Of course, we did have MLK holiday this past Monday.

Kady
It depends on the office. Detroit INS told us that it would take them about 1 month to open our enveloppe and issue us a receipt. They told us to look for our check. If it has been cashed and we haven't heard anything from them 2 weeks after that, we should come and inquire. Our timeline was as follows:
a) AOS application sent to Detroit INS on 11/21/01
b) receipt issued on 12/13/01
c) receipt received on 12/14/01
d) check cashed a little bit later.

Hope that helps,
Caroline
Old Jan 22nd 2003, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Indianapolis, Indiana headed for Nottinghamshire in May, 2012
Kady is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Caroline. This helps although we sent money orders, not checks so we can't see if they have been cashed yet or not. At least knowing you could be waiting a month eases my mind alittle. I thought we should of gotten something back by now (according to other's timelines) and I was getting worried.

Originally posted by Caro
It depends on the office. Detroit INS told us that it would take them about 1 month to open our enveloppe and issue us a receipt. They told us to look for our check. If it has been cashed and we haven't heard anything from them 2 weeks after that, we should come and inquire. Our timeline was as follows:
a) AOS application sent to Detroit INS on 11/21/01
b) receipt issued on 12/13/01
c) receipt received on 12/14/01
d) check cashed a little bit later.

Hope that helps,
Caroline
Old Jan 22nd 2003, 4:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Caroline. This helps although we sent money orders, not checks so we can't see if they have been cashed yet or not. At least knowing you could be waiting a month eases my mind alittle. I thought we should of gotten something back by now (according to other's timelines) and I was getting worried.
It has been exactly one week Kady since it was received. Even NYC which does that one thing quickly in comparison to other INS Offices was two weeks for the receipt of acceptance of forms. Did your INS Office only allow money orders? If so, in about a month see about getting copies of the cancelled MOs so you have that as additional proof of filing and paying.

Rete
Old Jan 22nd 2003, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

jeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud of

Kady,

Our paperwork was sent to the INS in the middle of July. Shortly afterwards it was returned due to an error in payment, which we rectified immediately. I'd say it put us behind at a maximum of a month.

Philip and I got our "receipt" in the mail in September.

As a matter of fact, the weekend that Philip and I drove to Indy to get his Work Authorization was the weekend that the tornados tore through the city!

I'd look for your stuff to come in the first weeks of March!

Best Wishes,
Jen
Old Jan 22nd 2003, 8:02 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Kady
Hi Kady,
The last AOS package that I sent to the Indianapolis INS office for one of my K-1'er couples was mailed from my office on 11/29/01. The INS cash register receipt that I eventually received was dated 01/04/02. The AOS appointment was on 05/16/02, and she received conditional status. When the greencard arrived, they had misspelled her name so I prepared some materials and had them take it in to the INS where they took my letter and fixed it for them for free (as they should as it was their mistake).

Of course, the timeline in my case back then will likely be different than what you will experience now.

Good luck.

Matthew Udall
Attorney
http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/fiancee.htm

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Jan 22nd 2003 at 8:04 pm.