Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

question about I-130 requirements

question about I-130 requirements

Old Jul 12th 2004, 2:54 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

tortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nice
Default question about I-130 requirements

this is just a hypothetical question, but i wondered if someone could help me out:

my husband's work is having a bit of a shake up - they're going to be laying people off soon, however he doesn't think he's going to be one of the people who will go.

he works for a company that contracts for another bigger company - he thinks that if there any changes to his job then he might get hired by the bigger company (thus getting more money).

however, how would this affect our application? would we have to resubmit any paperwork of anything changes? if so, would this hold up my greencard application? if he was laid off, how would that affect us?
Old Jul 12th 2004, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

LucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: question about I-130 requirements

no effect whatsoever. you do not need to resubmit anything if your husband gets a different job/loses his current one.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

LucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura about

by the time of your interview he will probably have another job anyway, just show his paystubs and tax returns as required.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 11:44 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

tortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nice

thank you - that's made me feel much better :)
Old Jul 16th 2004, 12:08 am
round 2, ding-ding.

i have another question on this topic:

what would happen if my husband was out of work at the time of the interview, but his parents could sponsor me? would i take in a new I-130? if so, would they accept it there and then, or would it take another 6-12 months to approve?

if anyone can help me with this, i'd be very grateful. it's very unlikely that this will be needed, but i want to be prepared for any eventuality and have all our options understood fully.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 1:34 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

*bump* anyone?
Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:45 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

tortoise,

What interview are you asking about? Whichever, you would not need a new I-130.

Is I-130 really what you're asking about?

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by tortoise
i have another question on this topic:

what would happen if my husband was out of work at the time of the interview, but his parents could sponsor me? would i take in a new I-130? if so, would they accept it there and then, or would it take another 6-12 months to approve?

if anyone can help me with this, i'd be very grateful. it's very unlikely that this will be needed, but i want to be prepared for any eventuality and have all our options understood fully.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:04 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
tortoise,

What interview are you asking about? Whichever, you would not need a new I-130.

Is I-130 really what you're asking about?

Regards, JEff
thanks for getting back to me, jeff.

the adjustment of status interview for my greencard. i've heard that one of the questions they ask the sponsor is whether they're still employed by the company that was submitted on the original I-130.

my worry is that if my husband were to get laid off and not be able to find another job, what happens at this point in the interview? would it be a good idea for me to line up another sponsor (his parents for example) and take a new I-130 into my interview.

my main concern is that i get to the interview and they say 'well, you have to bring us a certified I-130 with a new sponsor', and then i have to wait further months for that to be processed, or my case is thrown out on the basis of my husband not being able to support me.

sorry if this seems terribly paranoid, but i just want to make sure that we're covered and knowledgable about the situation, should it arise. my husband is now really feeling the heat and he knows of quite a lot of people in his field who've been laid off of their jobs and have not been able to find work for more than 6 months.

what do you reckon?
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:09 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

tortoise,

I-130 is the petition for an alien relative. It is used to establish that an alien in question is a relative, qualifying that alien to apply for an immigrant visa.

I don't think you need to worry about a new I-130. I think that you're really concerned about something else.....

Regards, JEff

thanks for getting back to me, jeff.

the adjustment of status interview for my greencard. i've heard that one of the questions they ask the sponsor is whether they're still employed by the company that was submitted on the original I-130.

my worry is that if my husband were to get laid off and not be able to find another job, what happens at this point in the interview? would it be a good idea for me to line up another sponsor (his parents for example) and take a new I-130 into my interview.

my main concern is that i get to the interview and they say 'well, you have to bring us a certified I-130 with a new sponsor', and then i have to wait further months for that to be processed, or my case is thrown out on the basis of my husband not being able to support me.

sorry if this seems terribly paranoid, but i just want to make sure that we're covered and knowledgable about the situation, should it arise. my husband is now really feeling the heat and he knows of quite a lot of people in his field who've been laid off of their jobs and have not been able to find work for more than 6 months.

what do you reckon?
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:16 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
tortoise,

I-130 is the petition for an alien relative. It is used to establish that an alien in question is a relative, qualifying that alien to apply for an immigrant visa.

I don't think you need to worry about a new I-130. I think that you're really concerned about something else.....

Regards, JEff
you're right that i'm concerned about something else! LOL

i'm concerned that i'm not going to be able to go and visit my family in england soon after my interview - i've not seen my sister, her children, my dad and his new baby for a year and 3 months. that's my biggest worry.

the other major concern is that my husband isn't made redundant - he has a family to support. these two things are making for an interestingly stressful and sleepless time heheh. my poor husband was throwing up this morning at the prospect of what was going to happen at his work today. 80 people were walked off the premises on tuesday.

thanks for the info on the I-130 - i just wanted to make sure i understood fully what the implications of my husband losing his job would be.

best wishes.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

here is what you are concerned about: an affidavit of support.

If your husband is unemployed at the time of the interview, but his parents are willing to co-sponsor you, they will have to sign another I-864 for you, read the instructions for it carefully, and provide the same docs to prove their income or assets as your husband had to when you filed for AOS (tax returns, assets, banks statements, letter from a current job).
Old Jul 17th 2004, 6:01 am
round 2, ding-ding.

Originally posted by LucyMO
here is what you are concerned about: an affidavit of support.

If your husband is unemployed at the time of the interview, but his parents are willing to co-sponsor you, they will have to sign another I-864 for you, read the instructions for it carefully, and provide the same docs to prove their income or assets as your husband had to when you filed for AOS (tax returns, assets, banks statements, letter from a current job).
thanks lucy - i'll take a look at the paperwork this weekend. i'm sure that it'll all work out, but i just know it's better to be prepared.

also, thanks for working out what it was i actually meant hehe :)
Old Jul 17th 2004, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

elenagreene is an unknown quantity at this point

this is just a hypothetical question, but i wondered if someone could help me out:

my husband's work is having a bit of a shake up - they're going to be laying people off soon, however he doesn't think he's going to be one of the people who will go.

he works for a company that contracts for another bigger company - he thinks that if there any changes to his job then he might get hired by the bigger company (thus getting more money).

however, how would this affect our application? would we have to resubmit any paperwork of anything changes? if so, would this hold up my greencard application? if he was laid off, how would that affect us?
It is important to prove the income required by USCIS