Reload this Page >

A Question about the 90 day to Marry time limit on K-1

A Question about the 90 day to Marry time limit on K-1

Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Ankh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A Question about the 90 day to Marry time limit on K-1

Hey all

Just slightly confused and have been for a while on this, does this count as 90 days to get married once on the K-1 and inside the US - or 90 days to get married AND file the next load of papers?.

I mean in theory getting married on the 89th day would be a bad idea right? (thats obviously an extreme but i'm trying to catch up on stuff i know nothing about yet )
Old Feb 25th 2004, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Pauljarv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A Question about the 90 day to Marry time limit on K-1

As I see it after you get the visa you have 6 months to get to the States. Once you get there your visa is valid for 90 days. During the interview you sign a form stating that you'll get married within 90 days. I'm not sure how difficult things would be if you were married towards the end of that time but I don't suppose it would help!

We're getting married 20 days after I get to the country and I'm going to fill the AOS, EAD, etc forms in as soon as I can.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ankh
Hey all

Just slightly confused and have been for a while on this, does this count as 90 days to get married once on the K-1 and inside the US - or 90 days to get married AND file the next load of papers?.

I mean in theory getting married on the 89th day would be a bad idea right? (thats obviously an extreme but i'm trying to catch up on stuff i know nothing about yet )
Well, technically you could get married on the 89th or 90th day, as long as you are married before your I-94 expires. You do not have to apply for your ajustment of status right away. I've read of some folks waiting for quite a long time after they are married - upwards of a year or more.

Just remember that technically once your I-94 expires, and you have not filed your adjustment papers, you are out of status, and cannot legally work or leave the country (without AP) and could be deported as well I think. If you wait more than 180 days to file after your I-94 expires, you should not leave the country even if you do have AP.

Bottom line is, the earlier you apply for your AOS, the better because you can work, will not accrue any days out of status, and could not be deported while pending the change in status. If I'm incorrect on any info I just told ya, I'm sure folks on here will correct me.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

MarDae will become famous soon enough

Hey all

I've heard of people filing for AOS after the 90 day mark as long as they were married within the 90 day time frame. Usually people marry earlier within the 90 days to speed up the porcess of getting the AOS started but more importantly getting the EAD. If this is not a concern for you technically the visa is valid for the full 90 days...the expiration date will be written/stamped (can't remember) in your passport when you enter the US. As long as you are married before the visa expires you are complying with the requirements of the visa. If you do decide to wait till the the end of the time frame I would still try to file for AOS ASAP just to get things rolling.

Hope this helps!

MarDae
Old Feb 25th 2004, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all, appreciate it!

I was just curious on that as myself and my fiancee are learning as we go along, it'll probabley be 2/3 weeks after i get back that we'll get married, so i was just trying to see how it worked in theory.

Though the fun part comes after we get married - i still have to learn the next stage of the paperwork
Old Feb 25th 2004, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

MarDae will become famous soon enough

Thanks all, appreciate it!

I was just curious on that as myself and my fiancee are learning as we go along, it'll probabley be 2/3 weeks after i get back that we'll get married, so i was just trying to see how it worked in theory.

Though the fun part comes after we get married - i still have to learn the next stage of the paperwork

A good site for preparing for the next stages is http://www.kamya.com/aos/ people post personal experiences about applying for AOS etc on this site. I found it helpful.

Best of Luck!!

MarDae
Old Feb 25th 2004, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by MarDae
A good site for preparing for the next stages is http://www.kamya.com/aos/ people post personal experiences about applying for AOS etc on this site. I found it helpful.

Best of Luck!!

MarDae
Now bookmarked, thankya very much!