Purchasing a new home

Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Linababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant future
Default Purchasing a new home

I have a question regarding buying property in the USA when entering as a K1. Although we havent started our K1 process yet I was wandering if it is possible for me (UK citizen) to buy a property in my name only when I arrive in the states after our marriage, and before the AOS. Someone once told me you have to be a US citizen to buy property is that true? The situation would be that I will have hopefully enough money from the sale of my property here in the UK and we planned on putting that into buying a house right off - no mortgage payments. We were gonna put the house on both joint names, and do a pre-nup to say that if anything should happen to the relationship and we split up I get what i paid for the house and any profit then is split. But I thought to make things easy would it be possible for me to buy the house and put it in my name only? But then would that cause problems at the AOS stage? Any advice would be appreciated oh and I will be moving to Columbus OHIO.
Thanking you in adnvance. Lina
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:24 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Purchasing a new home

Originally Posted by Linababe
I have a question regarding buying property in the USA when entering as a K1. Although we havent started our K1 process yet I was wandering if it is possible for me (UK citizen) to buy a property in my name only
Yes.... ...money talks
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:01 pm
L D Jones

Linababe wrote:
    > I have a question regarding buying property in the USA when entering as
    > a K1. Although we havent started our K1 process yet I was wandering if
    > it is possible for me (UK citizen) to buy a property in my name only
    > when I arrive in the states after our marriage, and before the AOS.
    > Someone once told me you have to be a US citizen to buy property is that
    > true? The situation would be that I will have hopefully enough money

non US citizens can buy property

Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Someone once told me you have to be a US citizen to buy property is that true?
Not true!

... and do a pre-nup to say...
USCIS doesn't care about a pre-nuptial agreement - it is not a federal matter.

But I thought to make things easy would it be possible for me to buy the house and put it in my name only?
Yes, you can purchase a house... and you can put anybody's name on the deed... it doesn't necessarily even have to be your name!

But then would that cause problems at the AOS stage?
Having both names on the deed would be one additional piece of evidence to show a commingling of finances, but nothing more... and nothing less.

Ian
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a question regarding buying property in the USA when entering as a K1. Although we havent started our K1 process yet I was wandering if it is possible for me (UK citizen) to buy a property in my name only when I arrive in the states after our marriage, and before the AOS. Someone once told me you have to be a US citizen to buy property is that true? The situation would be that I will have hopefully enough money from the sale of my property here in the UK and we planned on putting that into buying a house right off - no mortgage payments. We were gonna put the house on both joint names, and do a pre-nup to say that if anything should happen to the relationship and we split up I get what i paid for the house and any profit then is split. But I thought to make things easy would it be possible for me to buy the house and put it in my name only? But then would that cause problems at the AOS stage? Any advice would be appreciated oh and I will be moving to Columbus OHIO.
Hi:

California used to have laws restricting alien land ownership. They were ruled unconstitutional by the Supremes many decades ago.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 7:47 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

I just applied for a mortgage and they are just asking for proof that I am in the country legally - if it wasn't for the mortgage nobody would have asked me anything about that.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Chessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

California used to have laws restricting alien land ownership. They were ruled unconstitutional by the Supremes many decades ago.
I now have images of Diana Ross shimmying through the CA legal system
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:03 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chessiet
I now have images of Diana Ross shimmying through the CA legal system
Yoou've been karma'd
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Chessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Yoou've been karma'd
I have no idea what that even means. Is it good or bad?
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:45 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chessiet
I have no idea what that even means. Is it good or bad?
Look at your avatar (where you're pic and name are), you have two nice new shiny boxes courtesy of my clicking on the box below that labelled karma. Those blue boxes tell you how much karma you have. If you click on your profile link (at top of page) you can read the karma message sent and see who sent you karma.

You can send karma to anyone, I sent yours because I liked your post. The more karma you have the more your karma is worth when you pass it on. ie my karma gave you two boxes, you're karma may not even fill a box as yet. Also you cannot karma the same person again for a while, you have to spread karma around. If you do a search for karma and look at the earliest posts you should get an idea.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Linababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant futureLinababe has a brilliant future

Thank you all for your replies it has put my mind to ease now.

Lina
Old Oct 8th 2005, 1:57 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

Thank you all for your replies it has put my mind to ease now.

Lina
I've sent you some karma too, for hijacking your thread.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

samal1485 is an unknown quantity at this point

For sure you can buy any property but tax are higher for non resident. From my point of view, prenap and both names (title) are better plus tax saving plus you will have a prove of "your life together".

Samal